Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 93592 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #1005 on: August 01, 2020, 12:52:37 am »

Yes, in the sense that some people are just me. I suppose I could establish the Boomer Scale in full.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 01, 2020, 05:45:51 am »

As long as it goes to 11.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 01, 2020, 08:45:38 am »

Wait, is that scale actually some people have made and reference?
Tsk, if you have to ask...  *adjusts chart*
*is also at top of chart*
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 01, 2020, 04:17:19 pm »

Someone should make an online test for how boomer you are.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:57 pm »

Boomer confuses me.  I assume it's the baby boomer generation, which if I remember was the late 1940s to 1970s.  Yet I've hear 'OK boomer' refer to anyone over the age of 30.  I'm confused, these kids these days make no goddamn sense I tell ya wh'at.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 01, 2020, 06:28:07 pm »

can't wait to see the prez do nothing about this one either
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 02, 2020, 02:11:30 am »

Someone should make an online test for how boomer you are.
The dread task is complete.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 03, 2020, 03:31:25 am »

Well it seems the storm did largely nothing to central florida.  It was barely even a windy night, and while it had to have rained at some point because the ground was wet, I went out every hour or so since midnight and haven't felt even a drop of rain.  Here's hoping the carolinas get a similar experience.

That said it bothers me a little bit that those crazy folks claiming hurricanes are just overhyped by the government and are not actually dangerous probably see this as evidence of being right.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 03, 2020, 07:19:32 am »

They're suicidally stupid dumbshits that have never been through an actual one, mostly, and/or are critically incapable of pattern recognition. Low category hurricanes do generally (but only generally, as they're still perfectly capable of wrecking shit pretty hard under the right circumstances, generally due to flooding/storm surge) not do much, but A, we're well goddamn aware at this point the sunlight between "low category hurricane" and "intensified to the point your area will be rebuilding for the next few years" is less than a day or two, and B, that's just the low category ones. The high (4/5+) cat ones will probably fuck you and everything around you up real hard.

There's no real overhyping a hurricane, not when we're not literally omniscient. We don't know exactly how hard they're going to hit until they hit, and if they do hit hard it's anywhere from "hope you got flood insurance lol" to "your neighbors come to shelter because their house literally came apart while they were inside it and most of it flew off". Speaking from personal experience.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:37 am »

I have a friend in Jersey living on the beach, they said that a tree has fallen on a neighbors car, a pole fell and hit another, and a powerline caught fire; and that it's not even the worst yet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 04, 2020, 01:20:03 pm »

Just cat one, though, apparently? Flooding and some wind, not "the boats are flying over the trees" territory?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 04, 2020, 01:26:03 pm »

It's creating a bit of mess but there has been certainly worse. It's moving at a relative quick pace so it'll be out of the area in time for evening commute.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 04, 2020, 02:04:37 pm »

We had a tornado down the street in VA. Like 60s away. Luckily it immediately moved away from our place, but also it somehow ate the internet. Whole area has no internet. Power is fine.

We got to wake our toddler at 4AM to go downstairs and park next to our utility/boiler room in case it showed up. He was initially MIGHTILY UNPLEASED but then we gave him my cell phone and he was like dang we should do this every night woop woop
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:57 pm »

Here on Long Island we had some downed trees and branches. Not too much rain, mostly just wind. Power in my area was out for several hours, only got turned on about 15-20 minutes ago. Only thing of significance at my house besides the power was my stepdad's weed plants getting knocked over and generally damaged. Which I find funny.

Oh, did see a street blocked off by the police due to a downed tree. They even marked it with a flare... which then started a sizable fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 04, 2020, 07:44:24 pm »

"Hey how do we make sure everyone sees this tree and does not crash into it?"

"A Police blockade?"

"We already have that.  I know lets put a few high temperature self-oxidizing persistent fires next to the highly flammable dead tree?"
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74