Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94734 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Joaquin: IT GONNA RAIN
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 09:51:01 am »

This is why I live in a place with no hurricanes, guys. Sure, we get rain, but it's in moderation.
You guys get rain?!? I live in a state that gets an average of 8.04 inches of rain... per year. (And where I live in the state usually something like 1/2 of that falls as snow :P).

On the other hand we get wildfires here in Az, so there's that I guess. :P

But you guys have HABOOBS. Favorite word to use now that I'm living out East, people give you great looks.

I'm in a city just far enough inland that the hurricane would be "fun" and I don't drive so I wouldn't really have to deal with the "oh god what is happening why is the street flooding" part of bad weather, so I'm a tiny bit sad that the hurricane decided to turn around. Happy for everyone who would be in danger / have their things broken, though. Hurricane Sandy was pretty bad.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Joaquin: STORM AINT COMING BUT IT GON RAIN ANYWAY
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 09:58:00 am »

I'll continue to update through the weekend as this becomes the "RedKing really wishes he knew how to swim" personal flood watch.

If the rain forecasts stay accurate, we should be okay. 6" will likely flood the creek some, but not the river. And right now, even the creek doesn't look bad. I've seen it far higher. Though the rain is still light. They're calling for intensities of 1"/hr later on. Incidentally, this is also record territory for us -- by the time this is over with, we'll have had 10 straight days of rain.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Joaquin: IT GONNA RAIN
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »

I looked up Joaquin's path. That's a hell of a turn.

But you guys have HABOOBS.

What's a haboob? Looked it up. The first two letters make the whole thing far less pleasant to look at.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 06:00:57 pm »

If the rain forecasts stay accurate, we should be okay. 6" will likely flood the creek some, but not the river.

Lord willing and the creek dont rise.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »

If the rain forecasts stay accurate, we should be okay. 6" will likely flood the creek some, but not the river.

Lord willing and the creek dont rise.

Too late.

River looks to be about 2' from overtopping, but even then I estimate there's another 1-2' upslope between there and the house. I hope.

River levels have risen from about 2' last night at 8pm to 3.25' tonight at 8pm. Obviously, another 2 days of rain like this, I got problems. Another 3 days, I got serious problems.

I'll try to get some better pictures in daylight in the morning.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:20 pm »

Ah hah, now I can easily track you down once I find anything in this picture that differentiates it from literally any part of the Piedmont.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:40 pm »

Well FUCK. River level is now 3.89 feet. It's risen over half a foot in the last two hours.  :-[
At that rate (and there's little reason to expect the rainfall rate to abate), we're potentially looking at flooding in 10-12 hours.

Guess I'm not getting much sleep tonight.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »

Well FUCK. River level is now 3.89 feet. It's risen over half a foot in the last two hours.  :-[
At that rate (and there's little reason to expect the rainfall rate to abate), we're potentially looking at flooding in 10-12 hours.

:(
Sump pumps?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »

:(
Sump pumps?
Yeaaaahhh no. We rent this place, not own. And no basement.

From the sound of it, the rain has died down a little bit. The total rainfall amount isn't as crucial as the rate of rainfall now. If it comes spread out steadily enough, the river has time to drain downstream. But too much too fast, and it simply overwhelms the flow capacity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 09:48:36 pm »

all valuables now to the roof

especially the electronics

what could go wrong

... I have nothing productive to offer. Good luck.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 09:50:42 pm »

It's not even raining here.
Praise mountains.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 10:01:15 pm »

Praise mountains.
I've got mountains, but guess what, IT'S FUCKIN RAINING ANYWAY!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »

Praise mountains.
I've got mountains, but guess what, IT'S FUCKIN RAINING ANYWAY!
well i guess your mountains aren't too good huh
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:06 pm »

all valuables now to the roof

especially the electronics

what could go wrong

... I have nothing productive to offer. Good luck.
Imma make a raft out of laptops and towers and our HDTV. You'll know me on TV when I'm the guy paddling using a keyboard tied to a stick with USB cables.

Aaaand the river's up to 4.5 feet.

EDIT: Just went out to have a look, and starting to see some bigger debris drifting by. Small logs, large branches, etc.

EDIT #2: 5.3 feet now. At least the rate of increase is slowing. Was at 0.2 feet every 15 minutes, now it's more like 0.2 feet every 30 minutes.

EDIT #3: 5.8 feet now. Nearly triple what it was 36 hours ago.

EDIT #4: 6.2 feet as of 2am. Rain stopped around 12:30 but started back up a little after 2. Raining pretty heavy again now. :(
Checked the river about 15 minutes ago, and it's maybe 8-12" from overtopping the bank, so I expect it to officially flood about 4am. Then the real fun begins of trying to figure out how fast it's going to climb up the yard. Ground is already so supersaturated that it's not going to absorb anything. It's like walking on a thick layer of foam rubber.

EDIT #5: 6.8 feet as of 3am.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:20:13 am by RedKing »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Joaquin: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 02:42:46 am »

Well, this escalated quickly. River is now roughly 7' deep. The creek has flooded over the bank in at least three places, and is rushing along like an open fire hydrant. The Eno is about 4" from overtopping the bank, but thank the gods there's an immediate upslope of another 6" or so, plus a much longer upslope of another foot or so over the 50 yard stretch to the house.

However, most of the yard already has 1/2" to 1" of standing water in it. Not from flooding but because the ground is so fucking saturated that the water literally can't soak in. And it's still pouring like a monsoon out there. :(

I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight, and I think I'm evacuating my kids in the morning. I'll come back and do what I can to dampen (ha ha) the damage we're going to get.

EDIT: River at 8.32' as of 4am. FML.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:30:58 am by RedKing »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74