Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94708 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #585 on: September 19, 2017, 02:51:13 am »

The island of Dominica has been destroyed according to it's Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:48 am »

The island of Dominica has been destroyed according to it's Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit.

Dominican Republic? Maria hasn't even gotten there yet and Irma spared it and Haiti the worst effects. Oh, different island with the same name.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:47:25 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 19, 2017, 01:59:47 pm »

Maria at 165mph, with tight eyewall and dropping central pressure, which signals further intensification. And it's headed straight at Puerto Rico.

Jose continues to stagger around in loops like a drunk sailor, with models sending its 3-day track in every direction.

And Lee has sputtered out to nothing, thankfully.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 19, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »

Yeah, Jose has been lingering around for quite some time. Also, the future path of Maria is going to depend on what Jose is doing as Maria approaches. The article mentions that one possible scenario is with Maria getting swung out to sea via the Fujiwhara effect (also explained in the article).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 20, 2017, 11:32:23 am »

This morning's Maria track guidance is looking very much like Jose's at the beginning of the week -- almost direct northward turn, stays about 100mi off the East Coast.
Good news if it holds. After hitting the Puerto Rico, the eye has gotten much more wobbly and the overall strength has dropped to a Cat 4.

Of note: There are currently no NWS radar maps for Puerto Rico, because Maria *broke* the radars.

Jose tracks still look like it's tied to a fidget spinner. Could go north, or east, or west, or south. One track has it hitting Boston, and at least 3-4 have it hitting Washington DC. Good thing is that it's down to Tropical Storm level.

Lee is kaput, though there is a 60% chance that the remnants could reorganize into a new tropical system.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 20, 2017, 01:40:03 pm »

I visited there about two years back. Was a highly disorganized trip, where I stayed in some random person's home across the street from the airport in Barbados for a layover and found out about an ecolodge where I stayed for two nights. The day before I left I went into the only city on the island, Roseau, and on the way out bus driver and I noticed a massive, 1km vortex form off the coast. He and I both took it as quite a bad sign.

Also I'm pretty sure that place has seen rains almost every day. Must be the increase in UV radiation leading to more cloud cover; also since plants tend to be efficient water storage devices (in rainforests, holding up to 60% of water in the precipitation system) it's a self-reinforcing global cycle of plant growth from water precipitation increasing the amount of precipitable water.

EDIT: Apparently the island has been destroyed pretty thoroughly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:20:51 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 20, 2017, 04:16:08 pm »

I wonder if a tropical depression is enough for a fujiwhara effect? Jose is expected to be a tropical depression on Monday and that's when Maria starts getting close enough for that fujiwhara effect thing to maybe take effect.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 20, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »

I think all significant low pressure zones start orbiting others if they get close enough

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 04, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

... welp. Here's hoping it sticks to the low end, 'cause the gulf got incoming again. Currently tropical depression, looks like they're predicting hurricane strength by sunday, right about on time to hit the panhandle coast.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 04, 2017, 05:31:15 pm »

Assuming it stays one, anyway. Probably, maybe, hopefully...
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 04, 2017, 06:51:24 pm »

Given the fact that we've had storms jump up 55mph in the span of a day, any storm is worth keeping an eye on. Especially now that the Caribbean and Gulf have had a couple weeks to warm back up.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 05, 2017, 09:22:59 am »

Storm now designated Tropical Storm Nate. Current track has it right at New Orleans.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 05, 2017, 09:31:20 am »

Maybe nature's looking to get a direct hit on all the gulf coast states instead of just the important ones...
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 05, 2017, 12:10:12 pm »

Eh, a cat 1 isn't that big of a deal.

In general, yeah, but New Orleans struggles with regular summer storms, so, even a Cat1 hurricane would screw it up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 05, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »

Eh, technically a cat 1 that loiters in the right way can screw over just about anyone. They just don't much tend to move in the right way to put water and persistent high winds where they hurt the most for the minimum durations required.

Category is a measure of wind speed, after all, not things like size, precipitation, or duration, and wind is often the least damaging part of a hurricane. They're just usually pretty well correlated, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74