Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94874 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #600 on: October 06, 2017, 06:24:06 pm »

So ah, I know weather is weird this year, but when is US hurricane season typically considered to be?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 06, 2017, 06:39:52 pm »

July to November, though typically it's more like August to October.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 06, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »

With the peak being mid-September.

Track has shifted east some, so New Orleans is now just on the western edge of the strike cone. Florida panhandle is now the more likely target (sorry, Frumple).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:14 pm »

Have meteorologists said if this hurricane season is going to go longer or shorter than normal?

It just feels like we've already had a lot of hurricanes...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 06, 2017, 08:17:09 pm »

I don't think 'longer or shorter than normal' can be predicted with any sort of accuracy, June to November is just when the majority of them appear. We've had early hurricanes (there was one in April this year) and there have been ones that formed late into December or January, but those are really rare.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 06, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »

With the peak being mid-September.

Track has shifted east some, so New Orleans is now just on the western edge of the strike cone. Florida panhandle is now the more likely target (sorry, Frumple).
... y'know, I can't actually think of something to say that isn't taunting murphy, so I guess we'll just be waiting until landfall and its classification at that point. Then we'll better know how much condolences are actually warranted, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2017, 12:42:47 pm »

Good luck to anyone in the way of Nate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 07, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »

Have meteorologists said if this hurricane season is going to go longer or shorter than normal?

It just feels like we've already had a lot of hurricanes...
Most people's idea of normal was thrown off by a 12 year stretch with no major us landfalls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 27, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »

Not sure if a new thread should be made or wait to see if RedKing shows up, he hasn’t been on Bay12 for a few months.

Anyways, the first named storm of the season (which hasn’t quite officially started) is a tropical storm heading for the gulf coast.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 27, 2018, 04:59:47 pm »

Last I heard it's subtropical, which is a new term even to me and I live here.  From the jist of the description I read though it sounds like it is less focused with the rain and winds being spread over a wider area. So more shotgun full of birdshot, less shotgun slug.  Still hurts, still very dangerous, but could be worse, and it has to get it's act together first before it can even start developing into anything more serious.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:01:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 27, 2018, 06:36:13 pm »

More serious than flooding, anyway. Current forecast where I'm at has 100% chance of rain every day 'till wednesday, then 80% until a week from now and 50% as far out as the prediction goes.

Incidentally, it's raining right now :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2018, 06:14:57 pm »

/bump

Here we go again...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2018, 06:41:04 pm »

Y'know, that reminds me I haven't been paying attention to whatever it was that was about to hit Hawaii. Also there's like one or two tropical somethings in the gulf right now? Plus maybe/probably a hurricane floating its way from africa.

... any case, there's definitely been rain in north florida. Like nearly every day for the last... month? Month and a half? A while. Had a few pretty wild moments, even... saw a couple probably-twenty/thirty plus pound planters knocked over a few days back, when rain was coming down so hard it looked like there was sodding waves in the air. White-out hard with heavy winds, pretty damn impressive. Seen tamer stuff come out of active hurricanes, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 03, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »

Y'know, that reminds me I haven't been paying attention to whatever it was that was about to hit Hawaii. Also there's like one or two tropical somethings in the gulf right now? Plus maybe/probably a hurricane floating its way from africa.

... any case, there's definitely been rain in north florida. Like nearly every day for the last... month? Month and a half? A while. Had a few pretty wild moments, even... saw a couple probably-twenty/thirty plus pound planters knocked over a few days back, when rain was coming down so hard it looked like there was sodding waves in the air. White-out hard with heavy winds, pretty damn impressive. Seen tamer stuff come out of active hurricanes, heh.

Well, summer is monsoon season for Florida anyway.

The tropical-something in the gulf is Gordon, and theres TS Florence WAY out in the middle of the Atlantic, too soon to see where that goes. NOAA also shows a tropical depression off of Africa.

About to? Pretty sure whatever went by Hawaii already. Wasn't so much of a hit as it was a skirt-on-by-while-losing-strength. Here's an article.

Might have been referring to this one: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep1.shtml?cone#contents ? looks like about all it'll do is give surfers some waves to play with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 03, 2018, 07:56:46 pm »

About to? Pretty sure whatever went by Hawaii already. Wasn't so much of a hit as it was a skirt-on-by-while-losing-strength. Here's an article.
Hence the "haven't been paying attention", silly. Thanks for the link, tho'. Good to hear it didn't do much, such as it is.

... also, monsoon season? Florida actually has that? We got hurricane season and sometimes summer/late spring is fairly wet, but...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74