Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94794 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #615 on: September 03, 2018, 08:08:35 pm »

About to? Pretty sure whatever went by Hawaii already. Wasn't so much of a hit as it was a skirt-on-by-while-losing-strength. Here's an article.
Hence the "haven't been paying attention", silly. Thanks for the link, tho'. Good to hear it didn't do much, such as it is.

... also, monsoon season? Florida actually has that? We got hurricane season and sometimes summer/late spring is fairly wet, but...

I was jokingly describing it as monsoon season.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 03, 2018, 10:35:29 pm »

I did not even know there was a storm nearby until it started raining inside the store when the door opened and a customer mentioned it.  I should probably pay attention to the news.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 04, 2018, 06:33:43 am »

Gordon went basically from "rain storm we'll keep an eye on" to "Tropical storm" overnight. It was easy to miss. Good news is that it looks like it's moving too fast to really get its legs under it and organize. 1/2 to 1/3 of the total wind speed is forward motion which means it's having a lot of trouble actually spinning like a tropical storm needs to and the highest winds are actually WAY out from the center. Still need to keep an eye on it until landfall, but fingers are crossed. Storm surge seems to be the biggest worry for low areas.

I can imagine there was some frustration in South Florida though. They just basically woke up to a Tropical storm formed right on top of them with no prior warning. I know news reports showed a little bit of damage, including a toppled construction crane.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 04, 2018, 07:24:29 am »

Good luck, Americas of both north and central variety. I hope there won't be another Houston this year.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #619 on: September 04, 2018, 09:17:59 am »

Updated thread title. Another year, another OHGODWE'REALLGONNADIEBLUBLUB.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:37 am »

Sorry to double-post, but we've got a new storm on the horizon.
Spoiler: Category 3 Florence (click to show/hide)

Currently in the mid-Atlantic, projected to strengthen back up to a Cat4, and with a track that could potentially hit anywhere on the East Coast by the middle of next week.

Two more tropical waves behind it off the coast of Africa, either or both could turn into something in the next few days.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2018, 10:33:23 am »

It's your thread, no need to apologize for double posting. Anyhow, it seems like it's too early to say with absolute certianity that it'll hit the East Coast, but definetly something to keep an eye on.

Hopefully Puerto Rico doesn't get hit again by either of those that are behind Florence, if Trump's track record of aid is anything to go by....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:37:05 am by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2018, 12:46:31 pm »

Anyone seen the R. Kelly episode of The Boondocks?

"Sheeit, if folks on them islands didn't wanna get hit by a hurricane, they should just move up out the way! I been rained on by storms that didn't even have a name!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 07, 2018, 11:55:03 am »

Florence has stabilized and is projected to regain strength over the weekend. Still several days out, but the current track line has it headed for the Carolinas.  :-\

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:47 pm »

Whee, I know what my grandma is going to be talking about for the next few days.

Honestly though, while I don't want a hurricane, some rain would be nice...  Ideally it remains out at sea but we get some rain bands, but I doubt we'll get quite that lucky.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2018, 04:22:24 pm »

Florence has stabilized and is projected to regain strength over the weekend. Still several days out, but the current track line has it headed for the Carolinas.  :-\

It took me a moment for me to get that you weren't talking about an in-law or something, until I realized what thread I was reading.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 08, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »

There is still a small window for Florence to veer off course, but that window is rapidly closing. Anyone living on the east coast should start taking precautions now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 08, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »

Guess I should get a few sandbags and or move stuff up higher.  :-\

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 08, 2018, 06:29:07 pm »

Welp close enough to make sure all the store's battery planagrams are updated and the flashlights are stocked.  Good luck to all yall up farther north.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2018, 07:43:00 pm »

Yeah, good luck, folks. Part of me really wants to do some kind of victory dance of hurricanial avoidance vis a vis it aiming further north, but the superstitious paranoic occupying some small sliver of my brainpan starts gibbering in terror at the thought of less oblique mention of such.

So good luck, may nothing horrible happen to you and you get a chance to watch the birds fly in reverse. Hurricanes can be pretty terrible but it's honestly hella' awesome to watch a bird point one way and go the other, in person.

E: Bonus points when the sky's turned like straight up blood red, incidentally. One of my observations of reverse birds happened in those conditions. Metal as fuck.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:45:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74