Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94703 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #900 on: November 15, 2018, 04:16:31 pm »

One of the things I wanted to do in my "If I become a billionaire" list is build an ancient style stone house like that that could basically survive the apocalypse.  I'm told no homeowner's association ever would ever let that idea fly though, and I would need to be near other people for decent internet.

Another idea of mine was to let the yard grow wild and call it a nature preserve, or just pave the whole thing over with green cement.  Anything to not have to do yard maintenance,  But I'm also told no homeowner's association would allow that either.  I'm starting to think HAs are evil.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 15, 2018, 04:36:22 pm »

Property does exist that's not under homeowner's association reign. Now county/state ordinances and regulations, those might be more difficult.

EDIT: Also, yes, did a delayed double take then scrolled back a page or two. Welcome back, Frumple. Glad you're safe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:42:02 pm by sluissa »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 15, 2018, 05:35:52 pm »

One of the things I wanted to do in my "If I become a billionaire" list is build an ancient style stone house like that that could basically survive the apocalypse.  I'm told no homeowner's association ever would ever let that idea fly though, and I would need to be near other people for decent internet.
If you're a billionaire, you can have them run a T3 up the side of your mountaintop fortress. Seriously, decent Internet would be the least of your concerns.

@Frumple: FEMA flacks telling poor people with no electricity, computers or Internet to "go online to apply" sounds like the most Kafkaesque nightmare imaginable. I'm surprised somebody hasn't been fed to a gator.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 15, 2018, 08:15:25 pm »

Frumple's back, quick, someone sing. "Hellooo from the other siiiiiide..."

Seriously, what's up mate, we were worried about you (less so since you updated us, but the long absence afterward was still concerning). All the luck to you persevering without the net. I remember not having internet for a while as a kid. I played a lot of videogames.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:52 am »

Back in my day the internet was made out of trees, we called them books and had to walk along gentle gradients which pass for hills in Texas to get to the library to read them or check out new ones!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:02 am »

Internet/phone seems like it's finally back at home, fucking finally. If it stays up is a different question, but still.

... have to go to work, though. Can't veg/catch up all day. Four day weekend for thanksgiving, though~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:22 am »

Another idea of mine was to let the yard grow wild and call it a nature preserve, or just pave the whole thing over with green cement.  Anything to not have to do yard maintenance,  But I'm also told no homeowner's association would allow that either.  I'm starting to think HAs are evil.

Have you "gotten" to deal with one? Mine wanted to fine me because my grass kept dying. They disagreed that a hot climate+no rain+way too much fertilizer can kill grass, because they people they paid to put the fertilizer on thought they should be out there fertilizing more often. My opinion came with calculations by someone whose job it was to calculate the correct fertilizer rate for farmers. I guess that's mostly incompetence and smugness on their part, but they were also dicks. And tried charging me for bills I'd already paid, including threats to go to collections even after I proved I paid them.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 20, 2018, 07:04:48 pm »

I guess this belongs in rain thread...

Paradise California, the town recently devastated by wildfires, is now under Flash Flood warning.
You may be wondering, why do they care about floods? Their homes are already smoking piles of ashes, right? Well, most of those homeless people are now living in tents, which don't hold up well under flooding conditions. Also, many of the deceased remains still have not been found, and now they're likely to be washed away.

What exactly did the people of Paradise do to piss off the gods of flame and water? O_O

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 09, 2018, 08:10:34 am »

Now comes the time of of ice and darkness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 09, 2018, 08:37:23 am »

... oh yeah, NC's slated to get heavy snow, innit? Meanwhile down here I just chased off a stray dog while wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flipflops. It's almost warm outside :-\

Had to maneuver around storm debris that still hasn't been cleaned up, though, so I guess it balances out some? How's the weighting between six inches plus of white nuisance and most of a barn still being piled up in your yard two months later?
Ask not!
Ask!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2019, 04:52:21 pm »

Is it hurricane season again already?

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/7/10/20689130/tropical-storm-hurricane-barry-louisiana-new-orleans-gulf-forecast

Tropical Storm Barry is on it's way to Texas and Louisiana. It's still a bit early to predict the size of the hurricane, but it seems that the rainfall may be the greater threat this time, as the area is already partially flooded from recent rains.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:57 pm »

Welcome to the anthropocene, humans.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 10, 2019, 07:45:02 pm »

Hurricane season started a bit ago, dinnit?

Any case, all we can do where I'm at is hope nothing decides to come visit again. Whole region is still largely picking up the pieces after michael and another coming in would... not be good. At all.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 10, 2019, 08:15:57 pm »

Got a buddy who is going to be driving in that. Moving from the east coast to Texas for a job.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:33 pm »

Oh. Apparently they're already issuing evac orders for parts of Louisiana. Winds still aren't expected to be super strong (we'll just hope that lasts instead of doing another ha-ha-fuck-you-have-an-overnight-cat-4-plus) but the rain is shaping to be flood hell. The thing's moving slow, and already dumping water pretty hard.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74