Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94855 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #960 on: August 31, 2019, 10:45:01 am »

Oh goodie that's heading right for me.

Better get water and canned goods now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 31, 2019, 03:03:21 pm »

*everyone in florida boards up their windows and pretends to not be home*

Hurricane: Well fuck you guys I'm going to the Carolinas, now they know how to throw a hurricane party.  Let me just stop to use the Bahamas' bathroom real quick.  The Puerto Rican drive through went right through me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:05:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 31, 2019, 03:27:12 pm »

It's starting to look like it might not even make landfall at all on the coast, or at least just graze NC. Though that part of it is five days away and even if it never makes landfall, it's still going to lash the coast.

Meanwhile, theres the seeds of another hurricane is off the Cabo Verde islands.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 31, 2019, 09:14:52 pm »

Now seeing reports it's likely going to hit cat 5 in short order. Something like midnight or sooner :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 31, 2019, 10:52:17 pm »

Even if it hits Cat 5 or is borderline, looks like the east coast is mostly lucking out with this one as tracks are showing that it might never make landfall. 'Mostly' since theres still a chance it'll move along the NC coast.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 31, 2019, 11:03:53 pm »

Hope isn't quite the right word, since landfall isn't every remotely necessary for a storm like this to bring ruin (bahamas be fucked so hard), but something like that seems not unlikely and is probably least-bad of potential options. Still, from what I've picked up it'll still be a day or two before things really firm up -- apparently slower moving hurricanes are harder to predict, for some reason or another. Lotsa' people are hoping it doesn't make landfall (or fuck too much up even without), but it's still a bit early to know with much surety.

Personally, given a choice if I were on the east coast right now, be it florida, or georgia, or SC, I'd be taking a few days vacation a good ways away from the coast. Like a state or two away, just to be sure. Take it from someone that's lived it, a couple days and a road trip in overreaction is a metric fuckton better than being goddamn anywhere near a cat 5 eyewall.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 31, 2019, 11:10:21 pm »

Well, lucking out in the sense of not getting hit with the worst of the storm.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 31, 2019, 11:15:36 pm »

Yeah. Honestly, I'm not sure english really has the right words for it. That sort of 'holy shit this is fucking terrible but it could be worse/thank fornication it wasn't me' doesn't have something succinct I can recall. We don't really have good vocabulary to deal with less-bad-that-isn't-exactly-better.

E: Officially hit cat 5.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:17:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 01, 2019, 02:53:26 pm »

It’s starting to look like the center might clip the Florida coast or at least there’s a chance of it happening. The timing of the turn is being extremely hard to pin down. There’s also this one outlier model track that has it going across the southern central part of Florida, tagging the Gulf and going right back over the same area. It’s a lot smaller of a loop than it used to be though and it’s the only one that I see that even goes in the general direction of that model.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 01, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »

Dorian has made landfall in the Bahamas as a Category 5 Hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 01, 2019, 05:11:08 pm »

'Bout a hour ago, yeah. Looks like there's already vids up of areas where the major parts of the storm have passed. It's. Well, it's the aftermath of a cat 5 hurricane :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 01, 2019, 08:51:03 pm »

Within hours here, Dorian is expected to turn north. It's difficult to predict exactly when though. If it turns north a bit earlier than the most likely path, Florida and co will get only moderate rains. If it turns north just a bit later than the most likely path, then the hurricane force winds will be over land the whole time and pretty much every structure near the water will be subjected to the full fury of a high cat hurricane.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 02, 2019, 02:37:52 pm »

I'm in VA, go I'm right along the later path of it. No idea how much a Cat 5 will weaken by the time it gets here, I expect it shouldn't be too bad for us.

Heart goes out to all the people right in it's way, especially the Bahamas right now.

Any news on damages yet? Here's an article on Florida preparations.

Apparently the Atlanta Braves are offering free stadium tickets to people who evacuated there? Weird flex but ok. Nice of them to go out of their way to show some hospitality.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 02, 2019, 03:48:17 pm »

Gotta love retail. Not getting an answer when I call the store, so I called HR to determine if I work tomorrow due to hurricane, and that the leaving time would be after 8 pm when storm force winds are predicted to hit.  Essentially just calling to cover my ass since I never got an official word one way or the other.

I was told that yes I am still expected to drive to work tuesday and wednesday and operate the store for the whole shift, during a hurricane warning, simply because it's not expected to make landfall.  I may only shut down if the police tell me to, even if power goes out I'm still supposed to process sales manually as they are there to 'serve the community'.

I told them that when tommarrow comes that I will make a decision on my own then based on my own safety, and they told me that they will notify my district manager.

My district manager calls me directly 10 minutes later to inform me that yes, I will be coming to work, period.

Gotta love workplaces that look out for their employees.

P.S. Then my store manager calls me getting on my case for calling corporate.  If you don't answer your phone I'm going to call corporate to find out whats going on, don't get on my case.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:55:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 02, 2019, 03:52:33 pm »

Where do you work, if you don't mind me asking?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 74