Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 93585 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #555 on: September 10, 2017, 11:45:23 pm »

About how long would it take to get from Naples Florida to Tampa? If Jeff Piotrowski was heading to Tampa, I think he'd be there by now. He hasn't put a stream back up yet.

He tweeted 3 hours ago or so that him and his team got back to the Hotel in Naples he mentioned, I don't think he's moving till morning.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 11, 2017, 02:33:26 pm »

Just posting here from Earthquake Land (West Coast) to say:

Good luck, all of you!
Isn't Earthquake Land also full of fire sometimes?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 11, 2017, 02:45:24 pm »

Hurricane Jose is still out there. It's not a threat right now, but it'll be one to keep an eye on. My take on it is that it's expected to make a loop, but until it finishes that loop, it's anybody's guess as to where it'll go.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 11, 2017, 03:02:24 pm »

Came out the other side of Irma relatively unscathed.  I (somehow) even still have power.  I see some power lines down farther down the street, there is a neighbor's dead tree blocking our driveway, and a little mysterious water that somehow showed up in the bathroom with no sign where it came from.

Hope everyone else got as lucky as I did.  I think in our case matthew may have already took out all the weak trees and such last year, there is damage, but that damage seems less severe.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:04:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:20 pm »

Places down south that are pretty fucked up (and never mind the islands; barbuda's getting evac'd because there's literally no buildings still standing on the island), but yeah, at least where I'm at it was pretty mild as stronger storms go. Power was out for a few hours, most of it during the night, not much knocked down, been about it so far, least around the house. Haven't gone anywhere 'cause it kinda' feels amazing right now and I just want to chill with the chill until it goes away tomorrow.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 11, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »

It's amazing how long it kept its strength after basically losing all shape or form of a cyclone as well. There's barely a section of GA that's not touched by power outages, not to mention what happened down towards FL. Estimated 6-7 million out of power in a state of a little over 20 million?

FL's got a flat out numbers problem. GA has less than a million out, but it's problem is how widespread everything is. Gonna take crews weeks to get out to every little rural home and make sure the juice is still flowing.

As far as Naples to Tampa, one of the problems is that once you get down as far south as Naples, a road "Network" kind of just stops existing and you have only the absolute necessary roads to get from A to B outside of towns. I-75 Runs that far south and there's an older beachfront highway that runs, but other than that you're looking at roads that either are within storm surge area of the coast, and may or may not be passable, or sketchy inland roads which have probably not been checked for passability or cleared of debris yet and are probably resting a foot or two above swamps themselves even 20 miles in from the coast.

Get north of Naples and things look better, but south of Naples is swamp, east of Naples is swamp, west of Naples is Gulf. Something cuts off those major roads leading north out, it's hard to get anywhere fast, or at all.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2017, 05:28:21 am »

13 million inhabitants are without power in Florida, which is 2/3 of the population.
Decision has been made to completely evacuate the remaining 10 thousand people in the Keys that refused to evacuate before the storm. Drinking water is unreachable, fuel is running out, and the 3 local hospitals are inoperable.
The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln is preparing to provide aid to the islands.

Insurance company Air Worldwide estimates damages to be around 20-40 billion euros. This is considerably less than the damage caused in Texas and Luoisiana by Harvey, which is estimated at about 180 billion dollars.

Then again, those numbers could still very well go up, as it is expected that restoring power everywhere is going to take weeks if not months. Business has ground to a halt.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »

First thing I thought when I read "aircraft carrier" and "provide aid" was "explosive euthanasia" and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

The apocalyptic NWS tweet doesn't seem to have entirely come true.  The Keys faced a very survivable ~4 feet storm surge in many places; it appears the eye wall didn't come as close as the NWS was fearing.  That being said, the bridges between the various islands were damaged and the islands that were hit hardest (the lower keys), also happen to be the islands that have the most damaged bridges between them and land-based aid.  AFAIK there's no easy way to communicate with the people who stayed behind in the lower keys and the shores are blocked by debris (including beached boats).  A congressman (I think it was democratic senator Bill Nelson, can't find the article tho) estimated that rebuilding the lower keys could take months.

It seems that restoring safe travel, clean water and power to the isolated islands will take too long for those trapped there.  Hence why the priority for the lower keys seems to be evacuating those who stayed behind rather than getting people back in.  The best bet for that would be helicopters from the aircraft carrier; they are already using them for dropping supplies and evacuating some areas but the news seems vague on how much of a priority the lower keys are.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 12, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »

Got power back today. Still, if power is the only thing that sucked about the hurricane, that's fine.

That said, Florida is hot as balls, and I sorely missed air conditioning. Now what's this other hurricane doing donuts in America's parkinglot? He probably belongs down here in Floriduh too, with all his "donuts in the parkinglot" buddies. Not that I'm asking for my power to go out again. >_>
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 12, 2017, 11:53:54 pm »

I mean, my (NC) power came back around noon, but that was only 14 hours.  Nothing compared to what Floridians had to deal with.

...  I mean, my "friend" down there managed to evacuate, which is so good.  I just hope he has a home to return to.  We're both worried, but we're being positive at each other...
I hope his home is even a little bit okay.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:38 am »

Now what's this other hurricane doing donuts in America's parkinglot? He probably belongs down here in Floriduh too, with all his "donuts in the parkinglot" buddies. Not that I'm asking for my power to go out again. >_>

Staying out to sea? Probably? NOAA says out to sea, but the models and ensemble stuff mainly agree with each other until 2 or 3 days out. Nonzero chance that it could swipe NC and hit further up the east coast.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:51:12 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:26 am »

Is good. Own tampa and nearby family came out largely similar.

Just... don't be like a lot of folks I know, and take a lucky break happening now to mean they'll happen again in the future. Know the inclination's there when a lot of frustration ends up not having been necessary.

Barely any damage where I'm at, too, and we were still fucking stupid for staying with what we knew at the point leaving was particularly viable, precisely because previous (earlier, not nearly as likely to be a threat) ones didn't lay waste to the immediate countryside and get people to respect the deathstorm :-\

Though yeah, remains to be seen just how bad it's going to be in south fl. Weather actually seems on the mild side of things for this point in the year, but this being florida that doesn't exactly mean much. To say nothing of what power issues can do with our older populations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 14, 2017, 06:53:50 am »

Is good. Own tampa and nearby family came out largely similar.

Just... don't be like a lot of folks I know, and take a lucky break happening now to mean they'll happen again in the future. Know the inclination's there when a lot of frustration ends up not having been necessary.

Barely any damage where I'm at, too, and we were still fucking stupid for staying with what we knew at the point leaving was particularly viable, precisely because previous (earlier, not nearly as likely to be a threat) ones didn't lay waste to the immediate countryside and get people to respect the deathstorm :-\

Though yeah, remains to be seen just how bad it's going to be in south fl. Weather actually seems on the mild side of things for this point in the year, but this being florida that doesn't exactly mean much. To say nothing of what power issues can do with our older populations.

Heard the news about that retirement facility with the 8 or so deaths, pretty grim.

Still no power where im at. Bored outta my skull. Went to the mall and ate, hung out at a friends, hit on some chicks. Still want my power so i can finish Yakuza 0 in peace.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2017, 10:42:11 am »

Those deaths at the retirement facility are made even more tragic by the fact that there's a hospital 50 yards or 50 feet (forget which, but point is the same) from it.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74