Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 74

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94567 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #825 on: October 09, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »

Yeah... saw that on TV, sorta'. They were caveating it with a note they're not entirely sure which side of that indian pass joint it's going to be landing on. Basically could be panama getting the 8-12 (I.e. panama is fuuuuucked) or the area south of tallahassee. Apparently the storm's still wobbly or somethin'.

Going to be interesting, I guess. Family's been renting out a place in Panama within walking distance of one of the harbor bitsies. It might not be there this time tomorrow afternoon :-\

E: They're now regularly mentioning the possibility of it being cat 4 before it hits land. Ahaha. Give it a week or two of silence before y'all morn my passing, heh. they're also regularly mentioning potential week+ power outages, see. because if there's anything this is going to need it's more dead old people...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:37:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 09, 2018, 07:58:01 pm »

Michael is continuing to move faster and also grow bigger than the earlier projections indicated. Cat4 is now considered highly likely at landfall.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 09, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »

Anyway, time for sleep. Might not have power/internet when I wake up, or for very long afterwards (tropical storm force winds are due in my area somewhere between 4 and 10 hours from now, with the hurricane proper strength settling in between 11-ish hours from now until about twelve hours after that, so... wish everyone luck, folks. We're probably going to need it.

...if you have any florida acquaintances you talk with only, don't be too concerned until you don't hear from them for like a week, heh. They've been constantly mumbling about extensive and lengthy power outages, so... yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:48 pm »

As a side note, Hurricane Leslie has been derping around in the North Atlantic for the last two and a half weeks, dropping back to a tropical storm and regaining hurricane status for the second time now. If it hangs around into the weekend, it'll be in the top 10 for longest Atlantic tropical systems on record.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:55 pm »

NOAA shows it hanging around and looping back west this weekend, and yeah, it's been churning out there a dang long time. Where it goes or how long it sticks around after that remains to be seen.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 10, 2018, 02:16:49 am »

Michael is now confirmed Category 4.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 10, 2018, 04:07:00 am »

Well, 4 am, rain's started. Wind's picking up. Tallahassee gov't weather site is noting the amount of times a cat 4 has made landfall in this area since we've started tracking this sort of thing is a big fat Zero. We're making history lads and lasses.

E: Gods know how much longer we'll have power, heh. Actually have a generator, but it won't be being used for internet, to say the least. Estimates look like tropical storm force winds start sustaining for my area in about three or four hours and leaving around two o'clock tomorrow morning, with the wind enfuckening happening somewhere in between.

... definitely kinda' wish I had noticed this thing coming earlier than I did, and that there was more warning it was going to be, y'know, historically ass-kicking. Probably would have just convinced folks to get up and leave town for a day or two :-\

E2: House pictures get. Forgot to do that yesterday, but the rain's let up enough that with the sun coming up it was doable. Incidentally, any of y'all in the path of the hellstorm might want to get pictures of your pre-storm building or whatever conditions. Can be significant help with insurance/assistance claims afterwards.

E3: TV weather guy had words of comfort for remaining panama city residents: "Tornadoes, well, on the bright side with this storm if there's any tornadoes you won't be able to tell."

Because the rain and non-tornado winds will be too loud to tell the difference.

... incidentally, I'm now seeing occasional mention of worry this motherfucker will breach cat 5 in the next few hours. The coast is going to be hyperfucked today. Dunno how much less the rest of us will be :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:18:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 10, 2018, 08:38:53 am »

Good luck Frumple, everyone else.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:42 am »

Welp, 9 o'clock. Think it's supposed to be beginning to really screw the coastline. Definitely picking up here, wind's getting stronger, rain is now persistently heavy with bands just intensifying it. Ere we go, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:18 am »

... incidentally, I'm now seeing occasional mention of worry this motherfucker will breach cat 5 in the next few hours. The coast is going to be hyperfucked today. Dunno how much less the rest of us will be :-\

I don't think hurricanes tend to intensify while hitting land. Good luck to all those in it's path and stay safe.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 10, 2018, 09:15:57 am »

They don't tend to intensify once they start rubbing against land, no.

Michael apparently is doing it anyway :V

E: Hey, the howling's started! Yaaay. Intermittent, but still. We're not supposed to hit peak for another... five, six hours? If we have power for much longer imma be hella surprised.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:18:46 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 10, 2018, 10:03:22 am »

Florida Man spotted riding out storm atop a meth-fueled alligator.

Seriously though, best of luck to everyone down there.

EDIT: The Waffle House in Panama City is closed. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

DOUBLE EDIT: NOAA now starting to voice concerns that the remnants of Michael could reorganize once it moves through North Carolina and back out into the western Atlantic, and potentially come back for a second pass.

Hurricane Michael as of 11am EST:
Sustained winds: 145 mph (Category 4)
Central pressure: 928mb
Forward speed: 14mph heading NNE

Good news for Florida is that Michael is forecasted to pick up forward speed as it makes landfall and chug on out of the state rapidly. Bad news for North Carolina is that this means it will still have a lot of rain in the system when it gets to eastern NC, dropping as much as 8" of rain on areas still recovering from historic flooding last month.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:12:13 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:55 am »

Blue Shed Jeff is down in Florida. Shits about to get real
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 10, 2018, 10:10:38 am »

Florida Man spotted riding out storm atop a meth-fueled alligator.

Seriously though, best of luck to everyone down there.

EDIT: The Waffle House in Panama City is closed. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Given that it's a strong Cat 4 with Cat 5 gusts, not surprised.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 10, 2018, 10:41:56 am »

Yeah, latest official numbers seem to have it up to 150 mph, i.e. borderline cat 5. Someone really should have thought twice before naming this thing after an angel, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 74