Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Agrobusiness and agriculture  (Read 2102 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agrobusiness and agriculture
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:35:31 am »

Given the general thema of this game, and the presence of Hicks, Country Boys and other farm-related people, along with the fact Hippies were also into farming in communes, maybe agricultire and agrobusiness should be included in LCS.

There would be a new issue, Agriculture.

There would be two new sites, both in the Outskirts:
  • The Agrobusiness farm is a Corporate farm, practising intensive agriculture; one could find Rubes and other Conservative farmers, along with Farmhands and Cowboys, whose alignement could be any, and Migrant Workers; safes could be broken to get money, flamethrowers and secret documents telling the use of slaves/child workers/cancerigen pesticides, or animal cruelty; at C+ Agriculture one cound find there Liberal Serfs. Any action there could anger the corporations.
    At L+, it becones the Farmer's Commune
  • The Co-op, where Hippies and Farmers could be found; at C+, it could be Abandonated co-op.

The comments could be:
S: All farmland has been collectivisated and kulaks have been liquidated as a class
C++: Farmers have become serfs to the agrobusiness / Serfdom has been reestablished
C+: Agrobusiness is heavily State-sponsored, and GMOs are mandatory
C: Small farmers have trouble to compete with the subsided agrobusiness
M: Farmers get subsidies, yet agrobusiness bet the bulk of it
L: Farmers and agrobusiness receing equal parts of the subsidies
L+: Subsidies are only for communes and small farmers
L++: Agrobusiness has been banned and farming communes are funded by the State
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Agrobusiness and agriculture
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:21:38 pm »

The Terra Vitae mod actually uses this (VIEW_FOOD). Right now it's lumped in with VIEW_ANIMALRESEARCH and affects LAW_ANIMALRESEARCH.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »

One of the exemples of site actions would be the destruction of harvests, the freeing of fur animals and livestock, the smashing of glasshouses and the freeing of Migrant and Child Workers and , at C+, the freeing of Serfs.

The Terra Vitae mod actually uses this (VIEW_FOOD). Right now it's lumped in with VIEW_ANIMALRESEARCH and affects LAW_ANIMALRESEARCH.

And do you intend to create separate laws and locations for?

(Aside note, wouldn't the modfile be lighter if you only included the files you modificated?)
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »

And do you intend to create separate laws and locations for?

(Aside note, wouldn't the modfile be lighter if you only included the files you modificated?)

First question: right now, the Vegan Coop and the Juice Bar both affect view Food (originally, I added view Food in order to make those sites have a purpose apart from recruiting members). However, I may add an agrobusiness site for future versions, as it's extremely appropriate for the theme of the mod and may affect biodiversity as well in various ways.

Second question: I've modified at least half of the files in the game at this point, so I'm afraid that at this stage it is simpler just to redistribute the whole package.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »

Don't forget the chickens.  Treatment of chickens in modern farms tends to be a hot button issue.

Granted, the Elite Liberals would have you just eat grass, but their treatment is still controversial: Kept in a box they can barely move in their entire lives, fed more food than they can eat, injected with hormones and other stuff so they plump up really nice.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:13:06 pm »

And what do you think about my suggestions about new professions and law comments?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:58:56 am »

And what do you think about my suggestions about new professions and law comments?

I like the concepts. Adding a new type of safe might be a little bit more difficult than it sounds, but I can see about that.

What I am most concerned about, however, is this: there is only so much space in the Liberal Agenda screen for new laws (otherwise I would like to add several!), and I've already added several and am cramped for space. Do you have any suggestions on how to tidy up the LA screen so that more new laws can be added?

:)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 02:37:18 pm »

I like the concepts. Adding a new type of safe might be a little bit more difficult than it sounds, but I can see about that.

What I am most concerned about, however, is this: there is only so much space in the Liberal Agenda screen for new laws (otherwise I would like to add several!), and I've already added several and am cramped for space. Do you have any suggestions on how to tidy up the LA screen so that more new laws can be added?

:)

Could you create a new page for these new laws, such as PAGE_ISSUES_C - enum defined in src\basemode\liberalagenda.cpp?

(And did you create a new page for the crimes? If so, then how did you rewrote the printliberalcrimes function in src/common/commondisplay.cpp?)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:55:02 am »

Could you create a new page for these new laws, such as PAGE_ISSUES_C - enum defined in src\basemode\liberalagenda.cpp?

(And did you create a new page for the crimes? If so, then how did you rewrote the printliberalcrimes function in src/common/commondisplay.cpp?)

I've toyed with the idea of making a second Liberal Agenda screen to put up the laws, but until fairly recently I hadn't really understood how the graphics worked in LCS (I'm a C-programmer; programming in LCS is forcing me to learn C++). The space issue is more on the main page, though. I do notice that I will be able to fit several new views into the game, which I want to do as soon as I incorporate movies.

I did not create a new display for crimes - there is exactly enough space as-is.