Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shearing Yaks and Camels, Milking Every Mammal  (Read 881 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shearing Yaks and Camels, Milking Every Mammal
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:55 pm »

I tried making Yaks shearable by adding the [YARN] tag, but it seems not to have worked. I'd like to go back and do it proper this time, maybe for camels and some other mammals too. What am I doing wrong here? Also, is there anything to making creatures milkable other than inserting a slightly edited version of the following under the Female Caste?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shearing Yaks and Camels, Milking Every Mammal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:35 am »

you need change a couple of things for shearing to work. first you need the yarn tag on the hair material.

then:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
[TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
[APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:300:0:0:NO_END]
[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:10:50:100:150:200:300]
[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:LENGTH:300]

this block is usualy at the end of a creature definition.

finally you may want to do [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HAIR:BY_CATEGORY:ALL][TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:10] in the body detail plan (near the beginning of the body section, normally comes after [TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]). relative thickness can have any other values and i think will modify how much wool you get out of the shearing, together with body size.

milking should be fine with just that afaik.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:02:34 pm »

Haven't gotten to test for yak wool yet, nor have I seen any in the trade depot, but the presence of warthog and draltha cheese in the trade depot indicates that milk coding is solid.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:42 pm »

Update: Yaks are still not shearable. Unfortunately, I'm in this fortress too deep to just start over again. Would tinkering with the raws post-worldgen affect anything?

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »

i did pretty much the same thing a coupe of times so im rather sure this should work that way. above is a complete example, i didnt test it specifically but i think all the tokens are in place. oh except the [YARN] token on the hair, i added that to the hair template so it doesnt show up in the creature raws. if you want to make every hair of everything usable (except maybe for sentients, not sure) you might wanna do that too.

not sure about post worldgen, it might.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:27:35 pm »

I finally got around to looking at the raws I edited, and you know what? That's exactly what they look like, and I still can't shear those creatures. However, they produce wool when I butcher them, so there must be a problem with the shearing task itself that prevents my dwarves from shearing anything other than alpacas, llamas and sheep.