Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Done]Question of Close Quarter Combat [knives, daggers etc]  (Read 5108 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
[Done]Question of Close Quarter Combat [knives, daggers etc]
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:38:13 am »

First time posting on the modding side of the forum, I usually stay clear as I do not really understand all the tags and numbers involved. However I have a question I am really itching to know answer to.

Namely: If I mod the dwarves to be able to forge knives, daggers etc, is there a way to make civilians wear and use them? You know, like peasants and villagers in the adventure mode. If yes, could someone walk me through the process?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:04:01 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Re: [Need Help]Question of Close Quarter Combat [knives, daggers etc]
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:03:16 am »

Well, civilians in adventure mode already carry around kitchen knives which they'll use as daggers, but if I remember correctly there is a tag.
I was incorrect, huh. I'd recommend simply making it a tool, and see if that works. While testing you might want to move the cooking/butchering knives into a seperate notepad, so you're more likely to find someone with the weapon.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:55 am »

Well, civilians in adventure mode already carry around kitchen knives which they'll use as daggers, but if I remember correctly there is a tag.
I was incorrect, huh. I'd recommend simply making it a tool, and see if that works. While testing you might want to move the cooking/butchering knives into a seperate notepad, so you're more likely to find someone with the weapon.

Thx, I will see what I can do about it tomorrow, but no promises, as I said I get confused by anything more complex than [TRAINABLE]...

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:39:52 am »

I've nothing to do today, so I made a couple examples. Hope it helps. Haven't tested it myself, though I suppose that would have been smart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 12:12:03 pm »

I've nothing to do today, so I made a couple examples. Hope it helps. Haven't tested it myself, though I suppose that would have been smart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you, will definitely use this as a template, but once again tomorrow, I am off to work in about an hour, and still dinner to eat etc...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »

how I had to implement this was make one of the nobles that are assignable also become a squad leader with a very large limit (Squad size 200) I would then assign all civs to said squad, and give them a uniform that would make them hold their defensive weapon but not force them to use said armor layout (which is zero or leather so they won't strip and be unhappy)

However wood cutters and miners do not need this as they carry their tool with them already which they use in "oh no I'm under attack, better swing this tool at them"

this also let me have more control over "You there peasant, slay that wounded goblin that the archers missed but is scaring everyone anyways" or have them all run to a certain spot.

So things to probably mod is:
Desired lightweight/small defensive weapons
Noble for herding all non-squad soldiers for uniform assignment

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:28:57 pm »

how I had to implement this was make one of the nobles that are assignable also become a squad leader with a very large limit (Squad size 200) I would then assign all civs to said squad, and give them a uniform that would make them hold their defensive weapon but not force them to use said armor layout (which is zero or leather so they won't strip and be unhappy)

However wood cutters and miners do not need this as they carry their tool with them already which they use in "oh no I'm under attack, better swing this tool at them"

this also let me have more control over "You there peasant, slay that wounded goblin that the archers missed but is scaring everyone anyways" or have them all run to a certain spot.

So things to probably mod is:
Desired lightweight/small defensive weapons
Noble for herding all non-squad soldiers for uniform assignment

That makes sense, however I could as easily create x number of no uniform + dagger squads and rename them PFI (Poor Fuckin' Infantry) making the modding unnecessary.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:43:32 pm »

And that would give you the same result :P but as far as I know it's easier just to set them up into squads that you know you won't use and all it's for is just to have people hold onto a weapon for emergency self defense. I just choose 1 noble for 200 units because it is less clutter In the military screen.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 10:20:00 pm »

And I just realized you were referring to fortress mode. Suddenly my signature is extremely relevant. Darn my skimming nature.
Yeah, my advice was useless, ignore it. I thought you wanted to make a weapon that civilians in adventure mode would wield.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »

And I just realized you were referring to fortress mode. Suddenly my signature is extremely relevant. Darn my skimming nature.
Yeah, my advice was useless, ignore it. I thought you wanted to make a weapon that civilians in adventure mode would wield.

No worries, but while you are here, could you help me with something else?

Can we make... thrown weapons. Like javelins, jarids, throwing knives etc THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE THROWN in fortress mode... Followup: can poison them with something? Like a new Alchemy Workshop, using the alchemy skill to poison weapons to inflict some sort of syndromes, against the opposition. Price for that may be hefty, as it would be rather unbalanced...

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »

Can we make... thrown weapons. Like javelins, jarids, throwing knives etc THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE THROWN in fortress mode... Followup: can poison them with something? Like a new Alchemy Workshop, using the alchemy skill to poison weapons to inflict some sort of syndromes, against the opposition. Price for that may be hefty, as it would be rather unbalanced...

I don't think you can make weapons that are thrown by NPCs, but you could try and be cheaty by making a ranged weapon named something like "Hand" and ammo for it. I'll go ahead and test this myself, as I'm a bit curious now. Might work how you'd like, but it's the closest to a throwable weapon I can think of.

As for poison, no, not to my knowledge. I think in adventure mode there's a way to do it, like throwing it into a pool of some modded liquid or something, but I've never gone through the trouble to test that. And weapons don't carry the syndrome of their material, from what I've heard. However, it's notable that I don't use DFhack, and from what I've heard it can do some wondrous things.

EDIT: Hands that throw spears work surprisingly well. The only issue I've found is the whole Porcelain Hand thing, but you could always call it "glove" or something.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:27:58 pm by ThatZommy »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »

I don't think you can make weapons that are thrown by NPCs, but you could try and be cheaty by making a ranged weapon named something like "Hand" and ammo for it. I'll go ahead and test this myself, as I'm a bit curious now. Might work how you'd like, but it's the closest to a throwable weapon I can think of.

As for poison, no, not to my knowledge. I think in adventure mode there's a way to do it, like throwing it into a pool of some modded liquid or something, but I've never gone through the trouble to test that. And weapons don't carry the syndrome of their material, from what I've heard. However, it's notable that I don't use DFhack, and from what I've heard it can do some wondrous things.

EDIT: Hands that throw spears work surprisingly well. The only issue I've found is the whole Porcelain Hand thing, but you could always call it "glove" or something.

Can you post the code? I promise that if I do anything with this I will give you due(ie sole) credit^^

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 03:53:53 pm »

Can you post the code? I promise that if I do anything with this I will give you due(ie sole) credit^^

Nah, I don't need credit, just helpin out.

Spoiler: hands (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: cheaty spears (click to show/hide)

And actually, this could be used for some sort of magic mod. Replace the spears with "Fire balls" and boom, magic.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 04:24:38 pm »

Nah, I don't need credit, just helpin out.

Spoiler: hands (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: cheaty spears (click to show/hide)

And actually, this could be used for some sort of magic mod. Replace the spears with "Fire balls" and boom, magic.
That will do nicely... of course I may modify it a bit, ie make the ammo to be actually crafted in the bowyers or something, but it will do nicely. I can take it from here, thank you^^