Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gift Shop AKA Tourist Trap  (Read 2936 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gift Shop AKA Tourist Trap
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:14:21 am »

Now that we may soon have adventurers visiting our taverns in our Fortress (when we get to have taverns) I figured they may wish to take a little token of their visit away with them.  A lovely rock mug made by the local artisans - with the face of one of our founding Dwarfs on it.  Collect them all!  Maybe a wooden sword for the son back home - a training sword that  is a duplicate of the very sword used by McHero in that amazingly important battle that nobody outside the region knows about.  Maybe a dye-tie T-shirt.  AKA a blood stained, vomit covered fur cloak pulled off the dead corpse of the last troll we attacked in the caverns.  Maybe some of our famous apple cider - with hardly any fur balls in it!  Or some of our delightful boar roast - you can really taste the Forgotten Beast's intestines! 

In other words a Gift Shop where we can sell our crap..er...finest crafts to suckers...er...visitors to our lands.  So instead of dumping stuff we could mark it for the Tourist Trap.  So instead of a D for Dump maybe a T for Tourism. 

We can place the Tourist Trap...I mean Gift Shop right in between the Tavern and the Visitor Center (AKA Toll Booth).  Or maybe make it so they can't get into or out of the Tavern without going through the Gift Shop.  We could put up some statues, maybe a few artifacts, around the gift Shop tell them that it's a museum's Gift Shop or something. 

In other words, if we are going to have visitors I want to milk them for all their are worth.  I want their money!  MONEY!  And at the same time dump my junk...er..I mean have them leave with wonderful memories of their visit. 

So, what do you think?

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Gift Shop AKA Tourist Trap
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:08 am »

Yes YEs YES This is diabolical
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:45:51 am »

Haha. We can overcharge them for useless trinkets.

This could even tie in with the barding/speciality bloat/sugestions: sell your distinguished sherry, well-known dyed silks, or absolutely famous gabbro miniforges!

And the thing about replicas sounds really neat, as if a new profession, like "souvenir designer" could be made for events that hapeed in your fort!
One wheel short of a wagon

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:30:46 am »

This definitely has potential, not only could the broker become a full time position serving in the gift shop when not on break or handling official fortress trades but just having a way to get rid of junk without atom smashing or magma dumping would be great.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »

Not junk - think treasure.   :D  Not a used sword - think battle tested.  Not old ale - think well aged.  Not rotten cheese - think expensive cheese.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »

Not junk - think treasure.   :D  Not a used sword - think battle tested.  Not old ale - think well aged.  Not rotten cheese - think expensive cheese.

I get ya, "treasure".  ;)

I do remember something about bloodied weapons being worth more.  8)
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:54 pm »

Aw man, now I want to see the glass furnace make snowglobes. :(  Cool idea!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:45:00 pm »

Really, you want an explosive device made of glass in dwarf fortress?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 09:15:46 pm »

Really, you want an explosive device made of glass in dwarf fortress?

You say that as if it wouldn't fit right in.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:48 pm »

This doesn't seem much different than the regular Trade Depot, just give regular visitors the ability to trade their inventory and we're golden.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 08:01:18 am »

This doesn't seem much different than the regular Trade Depot, just give regular visitors the ability to trade their inventory and we're golden.

No, no, no.  You don't understand.  Adventurers need a place to relax, to haggle, to complain about how everything has become too touristy.  They need a place where they can lighten their purses, stare at the rows and rows of tiny, and very ugly, Troll Dolls, buy that leather jacket they never needed, and get stuff for the kids that will break within ten minutes of play.  They have coins - if I know my adventurers - and we want their coins.  We don't want their furs or elephant meat.  We want their shiny, pretty, coins.    :D

And in return we give them the experience - no, no, the honor - of visiting our Fortress.  They don't just leave us with less coins in their pockets.  They leave us our Fortress with wonderful memories.  And maybe some collectible mugs.   ;D

Just give them access to the Trade Depot....what kind of Dwarf are you?    :'(  You break my heart!