Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petting/Breeding Zoo  (Read 1456 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Petting/Breeding Zoo
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:53 pm »

Putting animals into zoos is a great way to give your dwarfs something nice to look at, but animals in cages can't produce eggs, milk, wool or offspring, and let's not even talk about the tame grazers. Perhaps there should be an option on pastures and pits to designate them as zoos where dwarfs can interact with them in a pleasurable way (though obviously the pasture should have more means to provide pleasure than pits, the latter being a look-but-don't-touch designation).
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Petting/Breeding Zoo
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:45 am »

You simply make all the animals available as pets and then you can assign the pets to the 'zoo' pasture.  The owners will come visit their pets and interact with them. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:16:10 am »

(though obviously the pasture should have more means to provide pleasure than pits, the latter being a look-but-don't-touch designation).
I can't not read that in an inappropriate way. Not after that one thread.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:21:17 am »

You simply make all the animals available as pets and then you can assign the pets to the 'zoo' pasture.  The owners will come visit their pets and interact with them.
That'll get you 1 dwarf/animal tops, though, and still doesn't get you much mileage out of untameable animals that you wish to breed.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:24:19 am »

That'll get you 1 dwarf/animal tops, though, and still doesn't get you much mileage out of untameable animals that you wish to breed.
If they aren't tame, you probably don't want them in a petting zoo.  Unless this is some variation on Dwarven Child Care?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:47 am »

If they aren't tame, you probably don't want them in a petting zoo.  Unless this is some variation on Dwarven Child Care?
Depends on the animal. I'm not sure what untameable animals are unsuitable for "childcare" but I'm confident that using blind cave ogres would just result in a lot of dead babies. For the latter, I'm thinking you trap them in cages, release them into an enclosure with fortification and possibly a floor grate roof so dwarfs can observe them and gain pleasure from viewing them just as if they were in a cage. Also, you could build an enclosure out of clear glass windows, fill it with water in and throw in various aquatic animals to have one big aquarium for everyone's viewing pleasure.

I guess what I'm really trying to suggest here is a big cage/terrarium/aquarium that, while unusable in traps, can have multiple creatures shoved into it for breeding purposes.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:49:09 am »

Depends on the animal. I'm not sure what untameable animals are unsuitable for "childcare" but I'm confident that using blind cave ogres would just result in a lot of dead babies. For the latter, I'm thinking you trap them in cages, release them into an enclosure with fortification and possibly a floor grate roof so dwarfs can observe them and gain pleasure from viewing them just as if they were in a cage. Also, you could build an enclosure out of clear glass windows, fill it with water in and throw in various aquatic animals to have one big aquarium for everyone's viewing pleasure.

I guess what I'm really trying to suggest here is a big cage/terrarium/aquarium that, while unusable in traps, can have multiple creatures shoved into it for breeding purposes.

What I've bolded will cause dorfs to run in fear from the ogre, if its not caged or restrained then they assume it's targeting them. Also keep in mind buildingdestroyers if you use doors. Just do what you suggested but put them on a rope or something.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.