Advanced search  

Poll

No
- 9 (37.5%)
Yes
- 15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39

Author Topic: European Union thread  (Read 46664 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: European Union thread
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »

Big English-language article about Helmut Schmidt, his life, and why he was so important to Germany and the Germans.
Getting some deja vu here
HELGO CONFIRMED HELMUTSHILL

In more seriousness though, how do people feel in regards to breaking your own constitutional limits and going extralegal in times of crisis? Is it justifiable in certain cases as in natural disaster or crises as with Helmut or Obama?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »

In more seriousness though, how do people feel in regards to breaking your own constitutional limits and going extralegal in times of crisis? Is it justifiable in certain cases as in natural disaster or crises as with Helmut or Obama?

You mean like how Lincoln suspended the writ of habeus corpus, declared martial law and burned down half of the south?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:11 pm »

Or when Trudeau declared martial law to solve the Quebecois separatist terrorists problem?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2015, 05:00:18 pm »

Good God, I read that as 'Truean'.

Well, Ol' Helmut may not have technically had the authority to call in Bundeswehr helicopters to evacuate flood victims, but it was fairly clear that he was acting according to the spirit of the law, even if he may have been breaking the letter.
In addition to that, there's a strong case to be made with Artikel Eins:

Quote from: Grundgesetz der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Artikel 1

(1) Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar. Sie zu achten und zu schützen ist Verpflichtung aller staatlichen Gewalt.

(2) Das Deutsche Volk bekennt sich darum zu unverletzlichen und unveräußerlichen Menschenrechten als Grundlage jeder menschlichen Gemeinschaft, des Friedens und der Gerechtigkeit in der Welt.

(3) Die nachfolgenden Grundrechte binden Gesetzgebung, vollziehende Gewalt und Rechtsprechung als unmittelbar geltendes Recht.

Translation:
(1) Human dignity is uninfringible. To act and defend it is the duty of all state force.

(2) Therefore the German people commit themselves to inviolable and inalienable human rights as foundation of all human community, of peace and of justice in the world.

(3) The following fundamental rights bind the legislative, the executive, and the judicial branch as directly applicable law.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2015, 05:14:07 pm »

In Australia we just borrow helicopters to save the hassle of needing to find somewhere to park, your politicians are crazy using them for emergencies like that.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »

You mean like how Lincoln suspended the writ of habeus corpus, declared martial law and burned down half of the south?

You mean when Lincoln scrupulously obeyed the constitution which provided an exception for the exact circumstances he was in?

Quote from: Constitution Article 1, Section 9
The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2015, 05:10:34 am »

Also, these days absolutely anything critical of Islam in any way is accused of Islamophobia, racism, and countless other meaningless buzzwords.
And similarly anyone who shows any kind of sympathy for the refugees, decrees Islamization to be a buzzword and is of opinion Orban and his ilk are all bunch of shitheads is branded dirty liberal, filthy progy, stupid humanist or just plain old lefty. Gotta show both sides of the coin to keep the balance, mang.

In other, slightly older news: there were parliamentary elections over in Croatia. The currently ruling Social Democrats lost to HDZ party. The fun part is both of them are nearly tied in votes and thus both lack the seats to form a government. And it's pretty unlikely they will join up together of course. There's also a third player here, party called Most, a Croatian version of parties like Podemos and Siriza we've seen rise in recent times in EU. Last time I heard they were firmly adamant not to join with either of the bigger players, but linked articles says they are apparently ready to compromise. Here's to hope HDZ get's run over because in recent time I've heard about some disturbingly far-right rhetoric coming from their side.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2015, 06:24:38 am »

Regardless, it is objective fact that at least half of the so-called refugees are not refugees at all and aren't even Syrian, and that the vast majority of the migrants are refusing to file for asylum anywhere but Western Europe. This makes them economic migrants, not refugees. The real refugees are largely in Turkey and Jordan, in the refugee camps. If people want to help them then they should donate to organizations involved in helping at those camps. Opportunists are ensuring that money that could be spent on people who are actually in need and who have nothing is being wasted, and crippling European government budgets while they're at it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:19 am »

Actually, a lot of the people applying for asylum in Europe are people that come from the Jordanians and Turkish camps. One the reasons the flux picked up so dramatically this year is that Jordan and Turkey have been toughening the rules on refugees (banning them from working among other things).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2015, 11:07:18 am »

Actually, neither of you posted citations.
Earlier in 2014 amongst first time asylum seekers the proportion of Syrians was around 10-15%, not accounting for second time asylum seekers, fake Syrians, those coming by sea nor immigrants who authorities fail to log. Eurostat has 700,000 asylum seekers in total logged across the EU despite countries like Germany alone taking in 750,000 illegal immigrants yearly, set to rise to 800,000 - conservative estimates. Measuring by asylum applications only takes into account those who bother to apply for asylum and takes their word for it. The German panic over how big they fucked up is intensifying after they failed to stop the influx (it has increased to record highs) of people, after they failed to shovel the immigrants they so desperately lusted for onto other EU countries because they got cold feet and couldn't handle their own banter, after Merkel undermined her own power, the didactic duo are running out of emergency accommodation on their own turf.

Meanwhile the British are still helping those actually fleeing from war. Heck, we're still helping those still caught in war. [pdf] That aid has helped millions already and will help millions more to people who actually needed it. Continental Yuros done fucked up. Pathological altruism, where you want to help everyone, but end up hurting everyone - failing to do what helps most in favour of what feels good. Does anyone remember when the Anglos were about to evacuate Mt. Sinjar? Broke the siege with PKK and Freedom airstrikes.

Also top kek, the German doc was right.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And in response to receiving 10k immigrants in 7 days the Swedish PM is begging immigrants to stay in Germany.

It seems fitting to use the german word schadenfreude here, how pleasing it is to see when people get knocked off their moral high horses with a sharp kick to the bum. It is easy to see who has helped and who has miserably failed, failed their own people, failed Syrians and Iraqis, Somalis and Libyans and throw in a couple crying Germans and Swedes. It disappoints me that after Rotherham the German and Swedish police have not learned from this and also try to cover up enriching crime :/

and crippling European government budgets while they're at it.
Honestly if I didn't have "no ruining other people's countries intentionally" as a rule in the OP I'd be seriously advocating Germany accept another few million in the next two years for being such racist shitbigolords under the anticipation that it'd finally snap and northern politics would become considerably easier without eurocrats confounding everyone everywhere.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »

Radical Poles mark Independence Day
http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Radical-Poles-mark-Independence-Day-with-6624448.php

http://www.worldbulletin.net/todays-news/166254/nationalist-demo-in-polish-capital

"Tens of thousands of protesters poured into Warsaw's streets on Wednesday for a demonstration organised by the far-right, marching under the slogan "Poland for the Polish" and burning an EU flag."

In other news this is what kids learn in poland (the teacher was fired after this was leaked)
http://imgur.com/GkEG5ZI

Slovenia putting up fence along border with Croatia to control migrant flow
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/11/us-europe-migrants-slovenia-idUSKCN0T00I120151111#tfOiKA5FgIzjl5PQ.99
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/11/us-europe-migrants-slovenia-idUSKCN0T00I120151111
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:53:39 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2015, 02:14:37 pm »

Welp, the Polish Independence Day is basically th eday when all of the shitlords in Warsaw pour out on the streets and say shit. They are a significant factor and their opinion's are, which is not hard to guess, fucking stupid.

It's no longer a day for patriotism, but for nationalism and mental retardation nearing terpentine drinking level.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »

Someone has made a reasonably high-quality anti-immigration propaganda video and it's gone viral on both YouTube and dumpert.nl, apparently a popular video hosting site in the Netherlands. I'm rather impressed.

This is the face of the new right, people. Like it or not, it's here to stay.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:37:22 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »

Make love not war

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »

Sweden to introduce border controls at noon

So 11 AM is gonna be fun?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39