Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inane Utilities for an Inane World  (Read 1583 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Inane Utilities for an Inane World
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »

It's been a bit since I was active in the modding community. And While this is not a mod(not in this forum). I made an interesting utility to produce fractal fortresses in .csv format.
You know, because that's the format preferred by the community, also dfhack/quickfort.

This is where it is

So, LSystems. LSystems are cool. They are like fractals, but context-free-grammars, sort of. They are easier to specify with predictable results(sometimes) than the sort of equation that fractals like mandelbrots tend to produce. They are very quick, and they use turtle graphics to control the evolution of the curve.

They also have the advantage of working more easily on the sort of discrete plain that df works on. Always a plus.

So let me give you an example

There are more ways to customize it. And as of now(due to everything I wanted it to output not working) it can vectorize the designs into svg.

Really really awful svg.

But anyway, there are a whole suite of other utilities in that repository that I couldn't think of a better place for, as well as one or two that are meant to handle raw manipulation. Not well as of now, but that will improve as I work on it more.

What do you think? Should I work on anything in particular for this? Any features? Thoughts? Criticism? Invective? Praise?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:22:51 pm by jaked122 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Inane Utilities for an Inane World
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »

That's a neat idea actually, could make some really interesting designs, would three dimensional stuff be possible like that?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »

That's a neat idea actually, could make some really interesting designs, would three dimensional stuff be possible like that?
Not as of now, csv files are 2d, but I could try to make it do things with layers, however this will result in a great number of files that you might not want.

Also, I was hoping to make fractals that would serve purposes like optimal bedroom layouts etc.

It does have documentation on the first link.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:01:06 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot the csv bit, still neat, and screw optimal, those are neat looking!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »

Thanks. The svg is as bad as I believe it is possible to make it.