Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeast Transformations in World Generation  (Read 2176 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Megabeast Transformations in World Generation
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:02:25 am »

So I'm working on a mod with somebody else and there's going to be corrupted versions of some creatures. For wildlife like bears and wolves we're just making them normal creatures that are quite rare, but with megabeasts we were hoping to do something a bit more interesting. It's obviously an option to just have the corrupted megabeasts be corrupted at the start of world generation, but we wanted to see if there was any way for it to potentially happen during world generation which would make it a lot more interesting if they had a history before being corrupted. Anyway, as for the ideal way of being corrupted, it would be to be captured by a rare leader caste of an evil civilization and then corrupted. Does anybody know any obvious ways to do this? I was thinking it could be something with night creatures, which might make them ineligible for leading civilizations, but it could have [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] and there'd be a caste for the different megabeasts. However that leads to the problem of how to make sure they don't capture humans and turn them into corrupted dragons, and whether megabeasts even could be captured if they had [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET]. This doesn't have to be the way they're corrupted though, so if there's any other good ways to have a historical figure change into a different creature during world generation then maybe it could be used even if it's not exactly what we want.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast Transformations in World Generation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:35:46 am »

Add an interaction type.

Make it something where someone can be cursed with it initially.

Make it where they can [do something] to [some target] and [inflict some type of change] like the vampire interaction example does, but with appropriate tags.

You can have it give a title and whatnot too. "This is a dragon fallen beast" or "this is a hydra of shadow" if you want to go that route.

You could also probably use something similar to the giant animal templates and have the interaction change the creature into a "corrupted [hydra/dragon/roc/giant/etc]" I imagine.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:15:22 am »

Add an interaction type.

Make it something where someone can be cursed with it initially.

Make it where they can [do something] to [some target] and [inflict some type of change] like the vampire interaction example does, but with appropriate tags.

You can have it give a title and whatnot too. "This is a dragon fallen beast" or "this is a hydra of shadow" if you want to go that route.

You could also probably use something similar to the giant animal templates and have the interaction change the creature into a "corrupted [hydra/dragon/roc/giant/etc]" I imagine.
Can non-sapients profane temples?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:30 am »

Uh, probably not, I forget that intelligent dragons aren't the default. But you could still have it be something done by someone else who picks up the curse and then applies it to the megabeast.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:56 am »

A megabeast with [INTELLIGENT] and [POWER] can impersonate a god and profane a temple thus getting your corrupted subtype. I think regional effects can affect creatures in worldgen since I think I've seen zombie dragons in vanilla.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:43 am »

A megabeast with [INTELLIGENT] and [POWER] can impersonate a god and profane a temple thus getting your corrupted subtype. I think regional effects can affect creatures in worldgen since I think I've seen zombie dragons in vanilla.
This would be an excellent way to sprinkle some extra variety into a world.  The only problem is that I've seen custom regional interactions work approximately 0% of the time :(
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »

From what I can tell megabeasts stopped impersonating gods in 0.40. Not sure why it was removed, but I used to see it kind of often in human civs, but I have not seen it a single time in 0.40 which makes me think it was probably removed.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »

From what I can tell megabeasts stopped impersonating gods in 0.40. Not sure why it was removed, but I used to see it kind of often in human civs, but I have not seen it a single time in 0.40 which makes me think it was probably removed.
It's still possible. I gave minotaurs the POWER tag, and a few of them wound up impersonating deities and ruling civs.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:08 am »

I gave dragons power/intelligent/flight/steel bones and they're awful, I highly recommend it!

Omniao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:31 am »

When I read the title I thought it was gonna be some DBZ type "This isn't even my final form" type- mod.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 05:32:37 am »

[CAN_LEARN] + [POWER] works as well.

Also interesting, if I'm reading the raws correctly, is megabeast/semimegabeast sizing (BODY_SIZE|<year>|<day>|<average size>) seems to determine world gen battle outcomes. Sometimes dragons and hydras are killed by giants and cyclopses before year 1000/20, because they have no year 1 size that can trump a giant's/cyclops' year 1 size.

This was something I noticed when I was fiddling around with making mega/semimegabeast bears and hippos who didn't have the size at any year greater than their predators. Once they were given the Roc's sizings, entries in legends showed bears and hippos eating everything around them because their average year 1 size was greater than all other creatures.

EDIT: regarding zombie megabeasts, it does seem regional...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but there's no indicator of why:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:41:54 am by peasant cretin »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:06:44 am »

[CAN_LEARN] + [POWER] works as well.

Also interesting, if I'm reading the raws correctly, is megabeast/semimegabeast sizing (BODY_SIZE|<year>|<day>|<average size>) seems to determine world gen battle outcomes.
Which is probably why demons tend to get killed by random animals (often two humped camels, bizarrely.) I should see what happens when I make them larger.

EDIT: Scratch that. Demons are significantly larger than such beasties. I'm baffled.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:13:44 am by Urlance Woolsbane »
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »

Yeah, I've got that problem with steel colossi, they're literally steel, same size as a regular bronze colossus, but adding power so they take over sites means they get eaten by elves or killed by livestock by year 3 or whatnot every damn time.

Seriously, eaten!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »

Yeah, I've got that problem with steel colossi, they're literally steel, same size as a regular bronze colossus, but adding power so they take over sites means they get eaten by elves or killed by livestock by year 3 or whatnot every damn time.

Seriously, eaten!

What I'm wondering is when elves got teeth made of candy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:07:38 pm by Whisperling »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:06 pm »

That is weird. I guess the body size idea is way off, I mean bronze colossus begins at [BODY_SIZE:0:0:20000000]. Also, Urlance, how are you able to resize demons? The all powerful DF Hack? I've never used it, but likely should.
Pages: [1] 2