Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature lags issue proposal  (Read 1090 times)

Tarlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temperature lags issue proposal
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:14 am »

I propose to introduce the third temperature options BASIC in addition to YES and NO with greatly simplified behavior.
Something like: outside temperature is mostly the same everywhere and changes according to current weather algorithm,
normal underground, warm stone and magma temperatures are constant almost everywhere.
So, the program has to recalculate temperature only near the sources of dynamically changing high temperature like fire,
and moving magma, to check for new heat sources when something happens in high temperature area and to treat
cooling and fire extinguishing in those areas somehow. If temperature in the area drops below warm stone one then
set it to normal and remove the location from need_special_treatment_list.
I hope such behavior will be close to YES from the game effects point of view in most part of usual cases,
require very little processor time in most cases and be not too complex to implement.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature lags issue proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:39:41 am »

If this would work, I would be absolutely behind it. Taking features out isn't too hard to code, right? Then again, I know nuthin' about the issue, being an ordinary bloke who'd like to set fire to stuff at a slightly higher FPS.
One wheel short of a wagon

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »

The game already does this.

Tarlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:33:08 am »

Yes, but the main idea is to reduce enormous processor time used with TEMPERATURE:YES
by simplification of physical model and algorithms.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:43 am »

Yes, but the main idea is to reduce enormous processor time used with TEMPERATURE:YES
by simplification of physical model and algorithms.
The problem is that "normal" temperatures get perturbed every time a creature with homeotherm moves.  For example, one of your dwarves.

Maybe a setting that ignores homeotherms within a certain band of the ambient temperature?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map