Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marksdwarfs training....lol.  (Read 2419 times)

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarfs training....lol.
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:10:47 am »

So......just to give you a level of my understanding of DF, I've been playing since before Dwarf Therapist was around :P.

Main problem is, they are in uniform, have all weapons/quivers/ammo?(Bolts)/ammo set right(any wood C.T)/targets set right ( T and Q)/ Schedule set every month to train at least 7 min/ Ammo stockpile is in Archery target room.... Alerts is Active/training CIV and both my squads, Marksdwarfs and Swords are set to A for Active/training under alerts.
I've always set Squad 1 ( Marksdwarfs) ALL labours off

I've tried switching them back and forth from inactive to act/train...

Some of them will train, typically 2-3 SOMETIMES 4 at the same time......the rest will be in uniform with the Solider (no activity)

Now, when i go into M and highlight the unit, it says their current orders is TRAIN....but it says their current job is Solider (no activity).

Any insight to why my markdwarfs are not pew pewing? I remember a few years back...I was deff able to have 7-9 dwarfs shooting at once and now I can't get over 5.....

Any help would be very welcomed.....I MUST have over looked something??? Cheers

EDIT: Something odd I noticed, if i have MORE then 10 archery targets assigned to T, they won't T at all.....I got about 14 targets, put it back down to 10 and now 3 dwarfs are training...lol?
 I've also noticed, the generic Dwarf cancels pick up equip: equip mis-match often after they finished emptying their quivers into the target....maybe related? I read somewhere not to keep ammo/armor/weps in bins?? related?

Evenutally now.....almost all the Marks Dwarfs are sitting in the meeting hall with No Activity... :/

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:56:47 pm by terrais »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfs training....lol.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:01:32 pm »

1) What's 'minimum number to train' set at? There's some odd info at the wiki which says set it to 2, which in my experience messes up everything. Set it to 10 if it's not already (I keep it set at the number of Dwarves in the squad which seems to work too).

2) Why set CIV to alert/training? Something to do with burrows? Probably not related to your issue, just curious. Squad training schedule is set on the active/training schedule, right?

3) Are they all actually carrying bolts, crossbows and quivers? They may be assigned but not able to reach the stockpile for some reason.

Finally, they won't go to the archery range all of the time, but they should be having crossbow demonstrations, dodging lessons and stuff if they're set to train properly. On the other hand if they're not set to train properly, they'll do individual drills and archery range training in their spare time.

Edit: And check each of your targets again. Each one needs to be set separately. Ensure direction is set right too.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:11:20 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:22:14 am »

Lol...everything you just asked me I already explained above and have done.

1) Schedule set every month to train at least 7 min (but this has no effect on archery practice, only drills and demos)

2) I tried switching that around just to see.

3) have all weapons/quivers/ammo?(Bolts)/ammo set right(any wood C.T)

and about the targets set...I said I had them set and explained how I have some dwarfs shooting...so it has to be set the right direction....

I appreciate the attempt to help...but please read the context first :P

I'll upload my world so anyone can see whats going on.

Here is my world Save, not sure if this is the only thing needed. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8HdFUdbaNzxdkMxdlhPTHI0MFk&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:18:34 am by terrais »

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:32:56 am »

the best kind of marksdwarf trainining is live fire anyway :)

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:35:27 am »

There is 7 units, wild animals on my area......all Owls......I need training lol :P

Nothing to shoot at so...yeah.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:19:41 am by terrais »

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:43:33 am »

be sure that ammo stockpiles don't have bins, bins are bugged
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:16 am »

Some of them are in bins, most are not.....now.

Should I dump the bins? Any chance one of you could load my game up and see whats cracking?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:23 am »

you can keep the bins, just set the stockpiles to not accept bins, I think it is the C command in the stockpile settings, querying it
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 05:15:46 pm »

I didn't see mention of a barracks assignment.  Marksdwarves don't seem to hit the archery range reliably until they have a little experience in crossbows, which they get initially by doing individual drills at their assigned barracks.  They'll also go back to the barracks for training in between sessions at the range, although what they learn there beyond that first bit of crossbow skill is unknown to me.

You may also want to be sure you have removed all ammo from hunters.  Even if you have nobody with hunting labor enabled, ammo assigned to hunters in the ammo screen remains earmarked for them and it keeps marksdwarves from claming/using the bolts reserved for the (possibly nonexistent) hunters.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »

I didn't see mention of a barracks assignment.  Marksdwarves don't seem to hit the archery range reliably until they have a little experience in crossbows, which they get initially by doing individual drills at their assigned barracks.  They'll also go back to the barracks for training in between sessions at the range, although what they learn there beyond that first bit of crossbow skill is unknown to me.

You may also want to be sure you have removed all ammo from hunters.  Even if you have nobody with hunting labor enabled, ammo assigned to hunters in the ammo screen remains earmarked for them and it keeps marksdwarves from claming/using the bolts reserved for the (possibly nonexistent) hunters.

Or use different ammo types.  If soldiers are using metal bolts hunters should be able to safely use bone. 

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:58 pm »

It's been a long time since I played, but as I recall, marksdwarves train at archery targets when they are bored and have nothing else to do.

Draft them and equip them, but give them ZERO schedule AT ALL, no military time what-so-ever.  Just make sure they have all their civ jobs turned off so they have nothing better to do then train.  Being on duty is something that is not nothing, being stationed is something that is not nothing.  Just make them military with archer weapons, no civil jobs, and watch them go shoot out of boredom. 

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:44 pm »

I've tried everyones suggestion, no luck.......I'm streaming live at twitch.tv/terrais feel free to swing by and see if I missed something

or download my world and see if you can fix it from there :P

Thanks for the attempts to help folks.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:39 pm »

I tried downloading it but Google Drive gave me a ton of errors regarding files it could not access for some reason.  I just tried again and it happened again.

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 04:35:50 pm »

Odd, what files do  I need to upload to make sure you can play it?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 05:00:02 pm »

No idea.  I told Drive to download the folder and it attempted to zip it for me.  This produced error after error as it was unable to access many of the files.  So I gave up and downloaded nothing.

Is there a way you can zip it first and then upload it as a zip?
Pages: [1] 2