Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven superweapons  (Read 987 times)

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven superweapons
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:00:16 am »

Yesterday i got inspired to pick up dwarf fortress again from reading the howitzer thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153176.0

and i got some ideas for dwarven weapons/ superweapons , its a topic ive rarely touched over the years i am quite ashamed to say,
i am gonna atempt to make Dwarven cannons slightly based on the howitzer design but ofcourse overcomplicated,
also im planning to make flametrowers of some kind,
the goal is to make siege weapons that are somewhat effecitve, atleast more effective than the ones in the game at this time, and if not that least entertaining to watch.
im sure there are many topics of this kind but are there any other possible maby unconventional things that can be made to some kind of super-weapon?

Blood bowl 2 made me think of flinging critters into the enemy horde, but that probably wont work very well.

Ive been a long time ghost on this forum :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:02:10 am by zeves »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven superweapons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:37:13 am »

I've always wanted to try web turrets with domesticated giant cave spiders in archer-towers.  I've caught breeding pairs before, but never succeeded to actually breed them.  I've had giant cave spiders pastured within castle-wall style fortifications, but I haven't seen them try to web invaders.  They might need to be on the same z-level. 

If you are in a heavily vegetated area, you could try lighting the entire map on fire.  I had a volcano fortress with a magma mote where this happened by accident several times.  It destroys the frame rate, but is a pretty sure kill and makes it easy to grab loot later. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:43:25 am »

ive heard mixed results with GCS but it might atleast be a good in house defence where the gcs are inside the outer walls, but il try to fling em at the enemy aswell.

i have for the first time embarked in a heavily forested jungle, but burning down the entire map will be just a side effect of the turrets if anything :D.

ive just started my fort so itl take some preparations to try things out, im gonna need a unimaginable amount of magma proof mechanisms.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »

Breeding GCS is actually very easy once you get it going. Since they're adult at birth, any female offspring are immediately impregnated, so even when you haul the offspring to a cage immediately they'll still produce one batch of offspring in there (but you have to make sure to allocate the offspring to the cage, or your dorfs will let them lose).

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »

Sometime, I may try to make biological flamethrowers by dousing critters in magma and immediately cage trapping them. Anyway, it's nice to see I have inspired people to make their own crazy killing machines.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »

I've got one for you: Legendary Lasher vampire in full steel plate, who is also the Baron... He singlehandedly killed every single member of a 90 goblin/troll siege without taking a scratch. Then he went back to the fortress and ate a child, and accused a guy who was in bed with both legs broken. He is my favorite dwarf, ever.

As for the more engineering themed ones, godspeed to you sir. Magma cannons are highly effective, and as for flamethrowers... get an artifact burning as an ignition source and anything could be possible!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »

IgnacM991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:04:09 pm »

@Max™
This...is magnificient.
You have incorporated all holy symbols of the dwarven race in a single legendary, dwarfy, overcomplicated and questionably usefeul, megaproject. We can see here a dwarf, a mountain(home), magma, vomit (booze?) and last but not least, !!Trees!!. This is the very essence of dwarven soul!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »

*bow* The mountainhome is actually my other fort, one of the migrants from it did the final step and opened it, lucky for the others cause if he hadn't been here I woulda had to sacrifice one of them I bet. He jumped right the fuck out of the way like a bawss.