Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Big Rock Beta - OOC  (Read 8511 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Big Rock Beta - OOC
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:03:28 pm »

NOTE ON SIGNUPS: Rather than first-come, first serve, I'll be evaluating sheets and picking the ones I think will work best.

Maybe you've got a criminal record that unfairly holds you down. Maybe everyone laughed at your political manifesto or new spiritual epiphany. Maybe folks back home just don't approve of your lifestyle choices. Or maybe you're just tired of it all and looking for another way. Whatever the reason, you've decided to leave mainstream society behind and form a commune, where you hope you can live in a more ideal society. Together with a handful of others, you've pooled your funds to build a modestly priced space capsule and crashed it into an unclaimed hunk of rock known as 217-β. Here you hope to prove that space travel is no longer for the elite, and that with thrift and teamwork, the common person can live by their own rules, by their own sweat, away from mother earth.

Rules:
This will have more mechanics than most games that I run, though the main focus is RP. The primary thing that you should worry about is that I'll sort of be keeping track of certain resources and structures.

Resources:
Food: Most of you will need this to live. The average person needs around 200 units per day to stay healthy and alive. This may vary by certain circumstances/conditions.
Energy: Everyone depends on this. You need it for pretty much anything you want to do, including growing food. Bear in mind that energy is difficult to store, and your capacity depends on available storage devices. Things that output energy tend to do so constantly, so a 1000e source can power, say, 5 200e objects all the time. Only when the grid's energy input is lower than the output do devices drain stored charge on a daily basis.
Materials: This category will be subdivided as needed. Things used to make other things. Though not directly necessary for your survival, you'll probably need them to get the things you need.
Money: Used to get goods and services from the outside world. Probably hard to come by initially. May or may not be important to your survival, depending on how you play.
Space: Pretty much everything you own takes up space. Even energy, because the batteries/capacitors have to go somewhere. More on this in its own section. Every unoccupied space can hold up to 1000 units of stuff (food or material). Digging out a new space creates around 1000 units of material, depending on the method.

Space (storage, living, the vast void of, etc):
AKA where to keep all the people and possessions. You're going to want more rather quickly. There are two basic kinds: indoors, and outdoors. Outdoors, you technically have an unlimited amount of, but it isn't very secure, what with cosmic radiation, micrometeors, and the lackluster gravitational pull of the asteroid (though you can still use it). Indoor space, you gotta make your own.

There are two ways of doing this: digging into the rock, or building. Any new indoor space is going to need to be pressurized if you want people to be able to go inside without a space suit. It takes 100 units of air to properly pressurize a space, and an above-ground space will need radiation shielding to be completely habitable. Living with insufficient pressure will lead to negative health effects, the timing and severity depending on how low the pressure is.

I probably won't be drawing a map, but I will be keeping track of space as "rooms/chambers." So, if a room has 20 spaces, it needs 2000 air to be fully pressurized, but if necessary, you can pump air from less important rooms to more important ones, or leave rooms unpressurized. Properties such as radiation shielding, faraday caging, reinforcing, soundproofing, etc will also be kept track of at the room level.

You start off with 12 indoor space inside your space capsule. With your starting equipment and food taking up 8 of those, it's a bit cramped in there.

Structures:
Things what do things. If you don't have a thing that can do one thing, or all things that can do that one thing are destroyed/lost, then you can't do that thing. You can improvise/invent these, just ask about building/acquiring something, tell me what it's supposed to do, and I'll tell you what you'd need in order to get it. There will be some pre-defined things that you don't start with but I think you'll probably be wanting. Every structure takes up at least 1 space.

Things you start with and what they do:
*May be amended before game start, especially depending on people's characters.
Hydropod: Grows food from energy and recycled waste. Needs 100 energy per day, produces 1000 food at the end of every week. 1 space (indoors)
Recyclor: Recycles air and waste (the latter only if people use it right, because it doubles as the toilet). 200e. 2 spaces (indoors)
Electrolysis Crucible: Produces 25 oxygen, 25 aluminum, and 50 slag from every 100 rock. 2 spaces (indoors)
Gas Compressor: Stores air, capacity 2000 (starts filled). 1e per 10 units to fill. 2 spaces (outdoors)
Communications antenna: Sends and receives radio signals. 25e, but only drains when in use. 1 space (outdoors)
Radar: Detects objects in nearby space. 25e, but only drains when in use. 1 space (outdoors)
Solar Panels (2x): Provide 500e each, but only when facing the sun. (1 space each, outdoors)
Pod Battery: Holds up to 400e. Starts charged. 1 space (outdoors)
Pulverizer (3x): Large hand-held powertool used for digging. 1e per space dug. 900 rock per space dug.
3100 stored food

Character Info:
*NOTE: may be some discussion to do before sign-ups are ready.

Lore
I want to leave this a bit open, as we'll be dealing with a small group of people mostly cut off from the outside world, but there are some important things to note. No one's been outside the solar system, space travel is still mainly handled by governments/corporations/super-wealthy individuals (though times are changing on that front). FTL is not a thing. The rights of artificial beings and their place in society are contentious issues.

Types:
What kind of thing you are. Choices here will have gameplay implications, which we'll discuss when you submit your sheet, but think about RP, rather than stats. Notice I'm leaving a lot of room for fluff.

Spoiler: Natural (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cyborg (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mutant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Android (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

PS: Bonus points to anyone who's read The Blithedale Romance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:55:16 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big Rock Beta - An experiment in space homesteading (0/7)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »

Spoiler:  Valerie Kain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terry Waterson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fee (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Carla Leona Plata (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jason Flores (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zero (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vishnu III (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heigstromm Eight-Three (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:47:49 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

Feel free to point out any glaring holes in the rules/OP. I wrote this up a bit ill.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »

Name: Zero
Type: Natural
Personality: a Professional under most circumstances, he can be described as hard and cruel to those that harm his friends, But his friends see the real, kind, over worked person he is.

Desc: A old man with white skin and is bald he has a bar code tattooed to the back of his head.
Background: Zero worked as a high quality assassin for most of his life, at the age of 52 he joined a hippy commune for his retirement, but he wasnt made to live on earth
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:48:28 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:28:41 pm »

I'll be making a character in a bit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »

Personality: a Professional under most circumstances, he can be described as hard and cruel to those that get in his way.
Desc: A young man with blond hair, where it has not been chemical burnt off, has a bar code tattooed to the back of his head.
Background: Zero worked as a high quality assassin for most of his life, and only recently "Died," and is still wanted on twelve planets.
Quick notes:
There are not 12 planets in the solar system, and people have barely settled anywhere beyond Mars yet. Guess I didn't make it clear that interstellar travel isn't a thing yet, sorry about that. OP updated.
Would this really be the kind of person who could befriend people enough to take part in their highly idealistic space hippie commune?

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »

Name: Valerie Kain
Type: Cyborg, Bio-electric power source
Augmentation: Robotic prosthetic on the left arm, from the elbow down. Robotic right eye.
Previous Occupation: Marine Corps
Appearance: Val has regulation length brown hair, bright green eyes, and skin the color of milk chocolate.
Personality: Val is a very fiery person. If she's not angry, yelling, and cursing up a storm, she's either having a good day(unlikely), or something is very, very wrong.
Background: Val served in the Corps for most of her life, participating in a number of different campaigns. She lost her arm to an artillery strike that hit way too close for comfort, and her eye to an insurgent who got a lucky shot off with his pistol.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:46:19 pm by Fr0stByt3 »
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »

I intend to do a cat mutant. Brain heavily skewed towards feline thinking as a malus. Possibly technologically illiterate due to it.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:47:01 pm »

Personality: a Professional under most circumstances, he can be described as hard and cruel to those that get in his way.
Desc: A young man white skin and with blond hair, where it has not been chemical burnt off, has a bar code tattooed to the back of his head.
Background: Zero worked as a high quality assassin for most of his life, and only recently "Died," and is still wanted on Three Planets.
Fixed
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big Rock Beta - Hippie Commune in Space (0/7)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »

Still begs the questions of why he would want to join spesshippy commune or how he would make friends with said people.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »

Still begs the questions of why he would want to join spesshippy commune or how he would make friends with said people.
Easiest way to escape being Followed by idots who want him to kill more people, Join a group of Idots who are going to be Vary Vary far away from where he is "Normally" going to be found, after paying most of his cash into playing dead.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »

These people are likely close friends, unlikely to have done this. I can't see them wanting or allowing a self centered narcissistic asshole they just met in their midst.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 07:02:19 pm »

These people are likely close friends, unlikely to have done this. I can't see them wanting or allowing a self centered narcissistic asshole they just met in their midst.
If he "helpfully" Invested 50% of the cost to get over here on the other hand, and went broke...
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »

Can't see it. I advise at a minimum revising the personality. There is a difference between an introverted person and a basement dweller.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:34 pm »

Name: Vishnu III
Type: Android
Augmentation: Six arms
Gender Male
Appearance: Blue Skin, red eyes, bald head.
Background: A servant android trained in most human languages and gardening skills.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8