Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where do i find my "stories"  (Read 3932 times)

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
where do i find my "stories"
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:04:03 pm »

so i have played the game for several years now and i use the lazy newb pack, and only use dwarf therapist and legend view (just to look at the factions, dont really know how to use it). i hear alot of people talk about alot of stories and drawn out and rich backgrounds, but all i see in the legend view is a bunch of "unknown historical figure" "become an unknown job" am i overlooking it? do i need to spend more time reading, or am i looking in the wrong place?
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Re: where do i find my "stories"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:04 pm »

so i have played the game for several years now and i use the lazy newb pack, and only use dwarf therapist and legend view (just to look at the factions, dont really know how to use it). i hear alot of people talk about alot of stories and drawn out and rich backgrounds, but all i see in the legend view is a bunch of "unknown historical figure" "become an unknown job" am i overlooking it? do i need to spend more time reading, or am i looking in the wrong place?

I'm an idiot, but I've found Legend Viewer is best used for the maps. It's a good way of finding sites and seeing how awesome DF maps actually are, but not so easy to just wander about the history. I recommend using in-game legends and just sifting through some of the year one historical figures and wars.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:11 pm »

so that's all o got to do is look at the legend manually.. how do i look at it, text reader? becvause i can't see much on it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:04:45 pm by justicarab »
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »

From the main menu of the game, select "Start Playing," select the world whose legends you want to view; you'll then get the three options, "Dwarf Fortress," "Adventurer," and "Legends." Choose the last, and you'll be taken to an in-game account of all history in the selected world, albeit with a rather clunky interface.
I recommend a combination of this in-game Legends Mode with Legends Viewer. The latter is much easier to navigate, and the former provides information missing from the legends.xml that the Viewer reads.

And if you want to look at the legends of a world already running a fortress or adventurer, remember to create a copy of the world (located in data/save) and retire your fort/adventurer in the copy, since you can't reach Legends mode if another mode is in progress.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »

so that's all o got to do is look at the legend manually.. how do i look at it, text reader? becvause i can't see much on it.

It takes alot of practice to get used to legends mode.
But once you are you can write things like this:
(pardon my writing, im not the best in the world)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153443.msg6539323#msg6539323

You can also get alot of great stories from adventurer mode, and from closely observing fortress mode as long as you know the context (eg familerize yourself with the worlds history, it is extremely deep)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »

Read Yonali Smithwings from my sig. I think every world has stories like this if you look deep enough.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »

ok, i'll give these a read, i'm excited to have these things. are these events that happen outside your fortresses? and is adventure mode hard to play, never touched it :[

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:54:25 am »

I've found the best Legends stories are ones you come across by accident. Searching deliberately tends to send you round in circles. Of course, by the time you realise you're on to something special you have to go back and try to find where you started.

And yes, you need too work out a comfortable way to browse Legends mode, Legends Viewer and World viewer too which occasionally gives you a bit of extra info (though I can't recall what exactly).