Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating Tools for Peasants  (Read 869 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Generating Tools for Peasants
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:32 pm »

Generating Tools for Peasants

This has probably been posted before, but I couldn't find any other instance of it.

Anyways, as DF is always about workarounds, I had been wondering how to mod a dwarf peasant to generate with a wooden flail. It seemed hardcoded that (human) peasants generate with either a carving/boning/slicing knife and that if there was a tag for this it wasn't entity file related, it was in the tool raws.

I noticed if you add one of the following tags:

[TOOL_USE:MEAT_CARVING]
[TOOL_USE:MEAT_BONING]
[TOOL_USE:MEAT_SLICING]

you can have peasants generate with any item type, from flails to wooden baskets. It's a clumsy/ugly behind-the-curtains mechanic, but it seems to work nicely if that can be ignored.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Generating Tools for Peasants
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »

It had been suggested to me previously that you could make peasantry weapons this way, like shillelaghs or quarterstaffs. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Generating Tools for Peasants
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:33 pm »

I do wish there was a way to control equipment slotting. Generation just wants to fill up slots. It's just weird to see a gem setter generate with a crossbow and a two-handed flail. That causes a bit more dissonance then say the 2+ mail shirt wearing soldier. You can at least think, "well, that's just how DF handles the idea of double mail."