Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: whales- do they appear in fortress mode?  (Read 945 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
whales- do they appear in fortress mode?
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Just curious- has anyone every seen whales in fortress mode?  I've been playing on ocean maps lately, and I keep hoping a pod of whales will beach itself on our beach so we can feast on blubber for the next five years or so.  Does this actually happen?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: whales- do they appear in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

I'm fairly sure that everything that can appear in adventure mode can also appear in fortress mode. You likely aren't seeing whales because the climate is not right for them.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Yes they can, I have a Fort on the Coast and I've seen em swimming around out there. Theyre like Elephants of the Sea...

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Magnnus:
<STRONG>I'm fairly sure that everything that can appear in adventure mode can also appear in fortress mode. You likely aren't seeing whales because the climate is not right for them.</STRONG>

Oceans are broken, though. For example, pelgaic clay and the two oozes are only available on entirely ocean maps for now (A single tile of beach disqualifies you). Whales are likely the same.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Magnnus:
<STRONG>I'm fairly sure that everything that can appear in adventure mode can also appear in fortress mode. You likely aren't seeing whales because the climate is not right for them.</STRONG>

Nah,  there are whales of all kinds for various climates.  Whales appear in cold water as well as the Carribean, so climate shouldn't necessarily be a reason.  I imagine that, like in RL, they aren't all that common, but they do apparently appear in fortress mode (see Nos3y's post)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

Better question is how you catch them.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>

Oceans are broken, though. For example, pelgaic clay and the two oozes are only available on entirely ocean maps for now (A single tile of beach disqualifies you). Whales are likely the same.</STRONG>

Completely false.  I have a beach fortress with not only whales, but pelgaic clay and both types of ooze (which all count as stone... o.O).  The key is to find a volcanic island in deep water, since volcanic islands fall off much faster into deep water.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

now who's up for a challenge, who can catch the first whale? get out your legendary fisher dwarfs!

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>

Completely false.  I have a beach fortress with not only whales, but pelgaic clay and both types of ooze (which all count as stone... o.O).  The key is to find a volcanic island in deep water, since volcanic islands fall off much faster into deep water.</STRONG>

I bet Toady fixed them when he fixed stone distribution in 33g. Are you playing the newest version? In 33f (33e?) they weren't actual obtainable. See here.

Anyways, you've never seen a building made from ooze?

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

000638 □ [dwarf mode][environment]   large ocean creatures unable to enter the play area

so it looks like there is a bug that they can't migrate onto the map. Maybe you can start with them, though, I'm not sure.

I made 3 or 4 forts with 1 ground tile and max ocean size looking for whales and never saw any, for whatever that's worth.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!