Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where Are The Goblins?  (Read 622 times)

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where Are The Goblins?
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

So I'm back after a year or two away from the game, and I'm rusty.

I got the Lazy Newb Pack. I made a new world with standard settings, but only five years old. (I like the feel of a brand new world.)

I'm reasonably certain that I chose an embark site with Goblins listed as neighbors.

But now I'm a few years in, and I still haven't seen any goblins. My population is 63. My Created Wealth is around 537k, with 22k exported.

Does the fact that I haven't seen Goblins yet mean that I messed it up and chose an embark site with no Goblins?

Is there any way to check that once the game is underway?

I like the start I've made. But I don't want to pour much more time into this fort if there's never going to be any goblins. It'll be a little dull.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are The Goblins?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:51 pm »

Goblin sieges start at pop 80, don't they?
Also you might not get any at all because:
1) They're busy sacking other sites (check legends)
2) They're lost (wait for next release - not too long now, probably)
3) They've been beaten up badly and don't have enough soldiers to siege you (check legends)

Up the population a bit and give traders even more massive profits and they should be along soon (if none of the above apply). You can check the current state of the world in Legends, but you have to retire your fort first. Make a copy of your save before you do that of course (or I think there's a fairly new DFhack script which will open up Legends in game).

If they've not turned up by winter year 5, then yeah, you might just want to give up and embark somewhere more Fun.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:17:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:49:15 am »

Yes, the standard siege parameter is set to 3 = 80, and it can't be changed after world gen, as far as I understand. A 5 year old fortress that isn't above 80 has probably been subjected to a pop cap restriction, so upping the pop cap to get immigration to push the pop above 80 should permit them to siege. Note that pop 80 is also the standard limit for Titan attacks (which may or may not control (semi)megabeasts as well). There is also another interesting hazard that requires immigration at/above 80.
To get goblin (and/or undead) visitors more reliably embark close to their structures: definitely closer than any other neighbors, to reduce the risk of them getting distracted.
Undead do not have any pop cap restrictions, by the way: they can arrive during the first summer...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:58:51 am »

Oh we do love those year 1 zombie sieges...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:44:19 am »

They're a good source for goblinite, but it takes some care and patience to catch them in a safe manner (provided they can find the fortress  >:( ), and they might block the first caravan, but I don't have much of anything to sell at that time anyway.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 07:41:20 am »

Was trying Fortress Defence when they turned up last time. Population 12 I think. Being a real fan of Fun I'd skipped the descriptions of the new races. Imagine my surprise when the damn undead Naga strolled straight through 30 cage traps. The last line of defence two-man squad didn't last long...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »

Yes, the standard siege parameter is set to 3 = 80, and it can't be changed after world gen, as far as I understand. A 5 year old fortress that isn't above 80 has probably been subjected to a pop cap restriction, so upping the pop cap to get immigration to push the pop above 80 should permit them to siege. Note that pop 80 is also the standard limit for Titan attacks (which may or may not control (semi)megabeasts as well). There is also another interesting hazard that requires immigration at/above 80.
To get goblin (and/or undead) visitors more reliably embark close to their structures: definitely closer than any other neighbors, to reduce the risk of them getting distracted.
Undead do not have any pop cap restrictions, by the way: they can arrive during the first summer...

You can change progress triggers after world gen (or at least you could the last time I tested it one version ago). So try setting them to 1 for everything.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod