Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limestone and floods  (Read 741 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limestone and floods
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

Hello, people!

My metalworkers need limestone, but I simply do not like those periodical floods, should I line the entire underground river with floodgates? It is long and boring!

Plus, how can I stop dwarves from taking a swim during seasonal floods? I made rectangular bridge, sometimes a dwarf gets washed over and drowns. I lost an artifact for that... *weep*

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limestone and floods
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

Put two 1-tile drawbridges on each side of your main bridge, and any other heavily used bridge, the south one draws north, and the north one draws south. Then attach them to a lever, pull it, and dismantle the lever. Instant guardrails for your bridge.
As for the sides of the river themselves, I think statues work, if you don't want to use floodgates. Or, if you want to be extreme, you can just bridge up the entire river.

Or you can just make 1 tile tall bridges with one space between them, and do that for the whole exposed riverbank. Nothing should drown except by extremely rare chance. (And I do mean rare, like .03% chance, SL calculated it)

[ September 01, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

I just carved 1 slot between my safety wall on either side and mined up and down the whole thing, then build a door there and locked it when I was done so dwarves could not get to the river to drown.

you might want to leave a small space open though so they can get water and sand from the underground river and not have to run outside to get them. much faster.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

This is also a very good way to get silk. Spiders love to make webs along the river, so a few square wide bank is a great silk harvesting site.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

If access in itself to the river is not important, some people keep a thin line of wall next to the river up and just carve fortifications in them. It let the water pass, but nobody can fall in the river.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

I have seen dwarves collect sand/drink next to fortifications. I don't think they can fish through them though.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

i mine all along the river for silk and tower-cap production and  then line the river with statues since they let floodwater through but keep dwarfs out of the water, river creatures away from dwarfs and let you collect limestone while using up regular stone. the only disadvantage is that while placing the statues the dwarfs keep getting stuck on them and if theres a flood while a dwarf is hovering over a statue they usually drown.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

Ill admit i cheat at this. I use the rewalling tool to replace the stone that i mine out and dig it out multiple times until i have enough limestone.

It just got annoying when i had to gut the entire river to keep my steel production in working order  :(

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

OK, I tried to mine all Limestone and cross the entire river with bridges:

XXXX======XXXX
XX-------XXXXX
XXX=======XXXXX
XX--------XXXXX
XXX=======XXXX

X Ground
= Bridge
- River

No more drowning dwarves! And they can freely fish/get sand/fill buckets! Thanks, Lightning4 !

[ September 05, 2007: Message edited by: Captain Goatse ]