Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Thea: The Awakening  (Read 20995 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thea: The Awakening
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:45 am »

The tutorial missions give small stacks of some good materials (or maybe I've just been lucky). You might be tempted to hoard those, but I'd heartily suggest using those materials (or anything else you get through events/etc early on) to make good gear right out the gate. Thanks to how the crafting system is designed, hoarding rare materials isn't as useful as it is in some games.

For example, pick up the 1-handed blade recipe as one of your first techs and pump a few chunks of mithril (I got some from the tutorial) into a sword. A mithril sword + any old shield is a pretty solid all-rounder choice, and mithril blades are light. Decent in the front line, and all that shielding can be used from the support line.

Later on, I've found crossbows to be a decent investment. While bows are often so weak as to be dead weight, crossbows aren't much heavier and help flesh out the support line (in combat, ranged attack is used by the support line to buff the attack of a combatant). Can be reasonably cheap, too - iron & string yields 50 weight, 7 ranged attack. Works well buffing a blunt weapon user, as the ranged attack buff becomes blunt damage.

Don't be afraid to use the non-lethal options, and when using non-lethal don't be afraid to use autoresolve (as long as you're not playing iron man, I suppose). The autoresolve is pretty iffy in regular combat, but the lack of wounds/casualties from non-lethal options means you're fine as long as it wins (and it's not too bad about winning).

I've found focusing on 'Cheap' to be a mistake. Every item made makes research points, make expensive items for more research points for better items...

bu then that's why I always rush gatherers...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 11:46:39 am »

Another complete WIPE, yes! Though this time around I learned a bit more and am getting better, a few things still bother me.

I cant seem to get leather at all. Nothing to hunt and no gatherable nodes. 6 games so far, and leather seems to be more rare than gems. This is a strange world indeed. I am about to try to skin my villagers for leather, or at least the children since they are not productive right now.

In this game, 54 days and 130 hexes scouted, no leather. No game to hunt. Nada. Same in all other games so far. Time to try again!

Why is leather so rare?

The difficulty is compelling for some reason...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:20:26 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 01:15:06 pm »

And hmmm... if you were matching buying Thea vs buying Duskers... which one would you go for?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:19 pm »

I've found focusing on 'Cheap' to be a mistake. Every item made makes research points, make expensive items for more research points for better items...

bu then that's why I always rush gatherers...

Right, I was just saying that even cheaply-built crossbows are decent for the ranged slot, which isn't the case for most of the equipment types. Mithril crossbows are all the better, but if you don't have access to the good stuff you can still make a decent crossbow.

But you do point out an excellent tip - not only is crafting with those rare materials good from a 'getting good equipment' standpoint, but crafting from rare materials give you loads more research points.

Need better tech? Then don't hoard your fancy resources!

Why is leather so rare?

No idea why regular leather is so rare, but it's worth picking up the serpent leather (reptilian leather? scaled leather?) resource tech. For me it's shown up reasonably close to [edit: your settlement], and it's a good upgrade to leather (armor built from serpent leather gives decent stats and adds shielding).

An aside tip: constructing buildings from certain types of material gives you a chance of recruiting non-humans to your settlement. Most of the materials in question tend to be more late-game, but even dark wood and monster bones can be used to recruit non-humans. (since we're on the DF boards, I might as well mention that dwarves like gold.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:22:00 pm by Dostoevsky »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:26 pm »

So, I sold about 50 steam cards, and used the profits to get a discount.

Nice game so far. You're a god, which is pretty cool...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 04:50:08 pm »

You're a god, which is pretty cool...

Nope! you really aren't!

your choosing the patron deity of your settlement.

Well unless you meet yourself because you have amnesia.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06:00 pm »

Can't stop playing this game.

My last run, I was doing quite well having figured out some of the systems and having come to a basic understanding of the game and how you should NOT do all quests just because they are there.

I had found a node of leather and saw this as an opportunity to finally gear up in some good armor. I had an expedition of 8 villagers out there and decided to camp on the node for a bit and get a good stack of leather to bring home. As we were gathering, the feared Goblin Boss strolled up and wiped the party. 3 Survived. I thought to head home, but they couldn't carry the leather now and it was critical to my survival.

I sent out some villagers from town and managed to start hauling the leather home. On the way, we were set upon by a Baba Yaga, more death. Struggling on, a dragon swooped into our village while we were gone and ate 4 kids. We must make it home!

Finally back at home, we begin to craft the leather armor. This will keep our remaining warriors safe. 11 Villagers left and we have enough armor for our best 6 fighters. As we finish up crafting, on the horizon, the Goblin Boss approaches. As night falls he and his crew raid the village, killing villagers, laying waste and burning homes. Soon after he leaves, bored of us, the wounded die. We are now 4.

In a rage of vengeance, the craftsman of the village take up arms and run into the night. Desperation fuels their flames and they manage to sneak into the Goblin Boss camp and assassinate him and his crew in the night.

Back in the village, they try for years to recover from their losses, but they are too few. Their god has forsaken them. They know now what they must do, all of them will venture out to find the Cosmic Tree.

One day out, they fall into a cave and therein find a dragon and it's hoard. They also find their end.

In Thea, loosing is FUN.
I got nothing

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 02:27:39 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »

Sent out eight people, all fairly meathead-y.

Goblin boss and his two associates disagreed that we should have life.

Two men limped back, died soon afterward, whispering dire portents about the goblin menace.

Started a new game because veggies and wood a settlement does not make.

Overall: 8/10 will pay money for this game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 04:33:47 pm »

Guys, don't play this game on 'difficult'. It is, how should I put it... difficult.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

So I've been playing this game for a while, and have been having trouble actually obtaining more people overall. Is there any tips beyond just spamming as many settlement buildings in those areas until it produces people?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2015, 06:48:47 pm »

So I've been playing this game for a while, and have been having trouble actually obtaining more people overall. Is there any tips beyond just spamming as many settlement buildings in those areas until it produces people?

I know this is just a theory but it seems like the game sort of "scales" according to how many people you have. In that the more people you have the less chance you will get more.

But anyhow there is a tree of constructions you can research that all deal with getting extra people for your settlement.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 07:21:55 pm »

Can't stop playing this game.

My last run, I was doing quite well having figured out some of the systems and having come to a basic understanding of the game and how you should NOT do all quests just because they are there.

I had found a node of leather and saw this as an opportunity to finally gear up in some good armor. I had an expedition of 8 villagers out there and decided to camp on the node for a bit and get a good stack of leather to bring home. As we were gathering, the feared Goblin Boss strolled up and wiped the party. 3 Survived. I thought to head home, but they couldn't carry the leather now and it was critical to my survival.

I sent out some villagers from town and managed to start hauling the leather home. On the way, we were set upon by a Baba Yaga, more death. Struggling on, a dragon swooped into our village while we were gone and ate 4 kids. We must make it home!

Finally back at home, we begin to craft the leather armor. This will keep our remaining warriors safe. 11 Villagers left and we have enough armor for our best 6 fighters. As we finish up crafting, on the horizon, the Goblin Boss approaches. As night falls he and his crew raid the village, killing villagers, laying waste and burning homes. Soon after he leaves, bored of us, the wounded die. We are now 4.

In a rage of vengeance, the craftsman of the village take up arms and run into the night. Desperation fuels their flames and they manage to sneak into the Goblin Boss camp and assassinate him and his crew in the night.

Back in the village, they try for years to recover from their losses, but they are too few. Their god has forsaken them. They know now what they must do, all of them will venture out to find the Cosmic Tree.

One day out, they fall into a cave and therein find a dragon and it's hoard. They also find their end.

In Thea, loosing is FUN.

Alright, I'm buying the game now :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2015, 11:31:15 pm »

1) Materials matter for buildings. Granite+wheat gives a +3 attrack people vs a +1 for wood/veggies
2)Exotic materials on any building will add a chance to atraact something. Demons/Orcs/Goblins/Dwaves/Beasts/Elves etc.
3)certain quests/choices can grant people. Try not killing everything.
4)Certain quests give you children...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 11:33:22 pm »

Cabbage Patches also give you children.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9