Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Thea: The Awakening  (Read 21191 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Thea: The Awakening
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2015, 12:58:22 am »

2)Exotic materials on any building will add a chance to atraact something. Demons/Orcs/Goblins/Dwaves/Beasts/Elves etc.
Does it actually show as an effect when you're constructing a building, or is that a hidden effect?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2015, 01:22:48 am »

It does tell you during construction, in the bottom right side of the window. You can swap different materials to see how they affect the bonuses.

About population, loosing a party or even a few of your favorites is no reason to quit. I did that on my first few games thinking I could not recover. But if you just head back to town and turtle up with some cabbage patches and other attract buildings and spam the end turn button, recovery is very realistic. Think about all the other things you have besides the villagers, the materials and research are valuable and any new arrivals will probably come with skills. Before long you will be up and running again. The only thing that makes this harder is if you are later in the game and cant keep up with the increasing power of the monsters.

Think what epic stories will be told...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:27:21 am by ductape »
I got nothing

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:41 am »

Also as a statement, never be afraid to do social challenges at the very least.

If you the one challenge with the bandits that robbed you, and succeed a social challenge, there is a fairly likely chance that you will get some manpower out of it at the very least, even if that manpower happens to be a Giant Fat Rat.

Yes this just happened to me and I think it is amazing the variety of recruits you can get even early on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 09:44:16 am »

Also as a statement, never be afraid to do social challenges at the very least.

I know it is silly, but they actually tend to be... easier then physical challenges with the added bonus of not needing to deal with dead characters.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:31 am »

My first few games I failed hard by trying to focus on warriors and fighting things. Now I focus on gatherers in the early game and use the hunt option instead of fight option to clean out the nests and early roving monsters. There are many non-combat ways of dealing with things if you are the aggressor. However, if you let them attack you, you end up stuck in a straight fight, so beware of that.

Then as kids grow up, I take a mix of warriors and workers, always grabbing the special medic or hunter or whatever if it is an option (it usually isn't).

Also I can't stress this enough. This game does not reward completionists. Not all quests need to be done. Not every event has a good outcome. Sometimes, you should just walk away, no...RUN AWAY!
I got nothing

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 11:01:22 am »

When you village is threatened, it often makes sense to form up everyone in the village, move to the threat, defeat with social/tactics/whatever and then move back. OR just invest in a really sweet set of palisades and barracks.

I've also just been leaving the one skull lairs so that they can continue to generate xp over the course of the game. Does anyone find the resources from them to be useful?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2015, 04:17:25 pm »

On 1 skull lairs, early on the spider lairs (and roving groups) are worth it for the resources, Spider silk is the best of the rope/thread type resource for most things (especially *light* light armor, and gathering tools).  The insect hives are less useful.  Wolf lairs I take out cos wolves can do some damage against an early game expedition or village if you're not using Hunting against them (and the leather is moderately useful, bonus if you get that grey fur stuff instead).

Although, new lairs pop up relatively often anyway, so it's maybe still worth clearing all of them for the xp and research.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »

Insect lairs give you rubies, which are the best type of gem.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 02:20:17 am »

True, though I don't find myself using gems much in the early game, especially compared with silk and leather.  That might just be my playstyle though.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2015, 05:31:53 am »

Items crafted using gems will have a random bonus property. Often the item will end up being more useful than the initial preview.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

It's a bit of a lottery, but the random effects can sometimes be quite strong. I've gotten a lot of crummy enchantments, but have also gotten swords and shields with 10+ ranged damage, clothes with +3 gathering (not bad), and a suit of armor with +47 damage. Yes, 47 damage - gave that to a spear user. It was a little ridiculous.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:58 pm »

Huh, I did not know that about gems.  Cool.  Learn something new and all that.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »

It's a bit of a lottery, but the random effects can sometimes be quite strong. I've gotten a lot of crummy enchantments, but have also gotten swords and shields with 10+ ranged damage, clothes with +3 gathering (not bad), and a suit of armor with +47 damage. Yes, 47 damage - gave that to a spear user. It was a little ridiculous.

might have been better to a hammer of club user :)
I got nothing

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »

might have been better to a hammer of club user :)

Club would also be quite nice, yeah, but on a spear user that means there's enough damage to one-shot many opponents when making use of the 'intro stab' spear ability. That character got up to something in the mid-70s for damage total, meaning that using the spear special was an instant 35+ damage on target.

For clubs/hammers, I usually stick with buffing as needed with ranged support. Can't do that for the spear special.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 12:44:34 am »

I cannot stop fucking playing this game. When it first showed up in the how did you last die thread I'm like "oh no, I won't be able to control myself".  And... that turned out to be accurate.

My first/only village is called Ostoya, and worships Mokosh the Earth Goddess.  My experience with the game is that it tends to be rather easy and relaxing except for the occasional moment of abject terror.  These also happen to be the game at arguably its most fun.  I had an expedition out harvesting elven wood around turn 50 when a werewolf + posse event-attacked my lightly defended village (6 people, but not good fighters), winning and then cursing everyone, including the expedition.  Thankfully some of our ancestor spirits had told us to visit a ruined city if we needed curses lifted, so I brought the expedition back and then, unable to feel safe except in numbers, the entire village set out to find the ruined city.

Bouncing back from that crisis was really fun actually.  By the time that expedition returned, cleansed of curses, there were only 7 survivors.  I built a bunch of Dew Drops (light, elven wood shields) and expanded Ostoya's cabbage fields even further to get the population up.  We are a decidedly agrarian people, with 2 pastures and 6 cabbage fields.  Because of the plethora of exotic shields and swords I have most of my characters have 12+ block.  Now there are 21 villagers and everything is easy again.  Hopefully a new trial will arrive...

This may be because I'm playing Mokosh, but I will say this: harvestors are the shit.  Wicker + spider silk/fur leather crafting tools and amber trinkets gets 5-7 improved harvesting and even a single skilled harvester can gather a resource like a fucking boss.  Nothing super-charges a village like returning with a cart full of an exotic resource you have a good recipe for.  Bring a hunter or 2 and you can gather food while you do this so everyone doesn't have to eat veggies every day.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9