Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Thea: The Awakening  (Read 21147 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thea: The Awakening
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 06:39:46 am »

waiting to see the point of gods being in the game yet :P

So far they are just starting bonuses but I am sure there is something else.

---

Thank you Thea... I just read one of the dumbest conversations in my whole dang life because of you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:54:25 am by Neonivek »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 08:27:14 am »

They list this as a feature:

Rewards and unlocks that carry on to the next playthrough, encouraging replayability

Any examples?

You select a god when starting a new game, and when you end a game this god gets experience that unlocks permanent benefits for your tribe the next time you play that god.
I can only see a few abilities, so I don't know how powerful they become, but my two starting gods are ok different and I expect they become more specialized with additional unlocks.

I think the unlock system works very well in this game. Mistakes can be crushing, - but this way 'loosing is fun' and you are encuraged to start a new game.

Higher level bonuses include things like different starting villagers, better equipment, bonus moves during certain times of day, bonus buildings, changes to creature behavior. That combined with the ways different gods alter how faster you do certain things or gain in power alters how yu play each god, by a fair amount.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 09:55:20 am »

Hard to watch the letsplay and get a good idea about the game because of how lousy he is at playing.

But it seems interesting... but I am worried the start of the game is the end of the game.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:44 am »

Honestly, if it wasn't for the exchange rate I would have bought it ages ago. This game is kinda what I want to play these days, some sort of mixture of all the kinds that I want in a game. Look, can someone do me a favour and buy this for me, USD > AUD is killing me here... :P (not serious by the by)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:43 am »

Honestly, if it wasn't for the exchange rate I would have bought it ages ago. This game is kinda what I want to play these days, some sort of mixture of all the kinds that I want in a game. Look, can someone do me a favour and buy this for me, USD > AUD is killing me here... :P (not serious by the by)

I'll think about it... But I think I have something more important to pool it into riught now.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 10:13:59 am »

Sweet. I love these kinds of games. I'll wishlist this and wait for a Steam sale :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:50 am »

I bought it. Decent game.  8)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »

The UI is a bit obtuse, but the game is engaging enough to overlook that, we here are no strangers to this.

I do wonder if there is an easier way to see what resources are gather-able by expeditions on the map. Currently, the only way I can see them is by setting up a camp, wasting a move by doing so. Then I break camp and fine tune it as I get the resources I want.

Is there an easier way?
I got nothing

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 04:04:27 pm »

The UI is a bit obtuse, but the game is engaging enough to overlook that, we here are no strangers to this.

I do wonder if there is an easier way to see what resources are gather-able by expeditions on the map. Currently, the only way I can see them is by setting up a camp, wasting a move by doing so. Then I break camp and fine tune it as I get the resources I want.

Is there an easier way?

Yup!  The keyboard shortcut to see resources on the map is 'R', there is also a button in the lower right near the end of turn button.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »

So... worth it, then?

I am considering buying it but I still have qualms...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:29 pm »

The UI and thus User Experience is horrible. Card "mini"game is mostly random (less if you are playing with free rerolls) with fighting/support separation that IS making/losing a battle unless you totally overpower the enemy. World generation randomness can also screw you completely with putting every resource of a single type on opposite side of a map. It is very hard, Even on lowest difficulty settings you are not going to finish "tutorial" missions without doing A LOT of side stuff. Roguelike save system with 2 slots (autosave and player save if you choose so in difficulty setting) can be annoying for most casual players. Trying to transform easter european mythical creature names into sounding english-like is also a major con.
That's all I can think about downsides of the game, but overall it's a GREAT game. Didn't have so much fun with single player game in a long time. In terms of single player "game for me" THIS >>> NEW FALLOUT. That should answer all your question if it's worth to buy.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 06:44:43 pm »

So... worth it, then?

I am considering buying it but I still have qualms...

Very much yes. There are a few rough edges, but Thea is really fun.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »

Despite all the rough edges bad how bad I am at the game, I keep coming back for more. It is hard, I have had a few Total Party Wipes in the early turns. This game does not seem to hold your hand, just because an encounter is close to your home town does NOT mean you can handle it.

I am so bad at this.

Does anyone have any tips? On my next round I think I am going to focus on gathering up resources more than exploring and get some good gear in hand before getting too brave.
I got nothing

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 12:59:49 am »

The tutorial missions give small stacks of some good materials (or maybe I've just been lucky). You might be tempted to hoard those, but I'd heartily suggest using those materials (or anything else you get through events/etc early on) to make good gear right out the gate. Thanks to how the crafting system is designed, hoarding rare materials isn't as useful as it is in some games.

For example, pick up the 1-handed blade recipe as one of your first techs and pump a few chunks of mithril (I got some from the tutorial) into a sword. A mithril sword + any old shield is a pretty solid all-rounder choice, and mithril blades are light. Decent in the front line, and all that shielding can be used from the support line.

Later on, I've found crossbows to be a decent investment. While bows are often so weak as to be dead weight, crossbows aren't much heavier and help flesh out the support line (in combat, ranged attack is used by the support line to buff the attack of a combatant). Can be reasonably cheap, too - iron & string yields 50 weight, 7 ranged attack. Works well buffing a blunt weapon user, as the ranged attack buff becomes blunt damage.

Don't be afraid to use the non-lethal options, and when using non-lethal don't be afraid to use autoresolve (as long as you're not playing iron man, I suppose). The autoresolve is pretty iffy in regular combat, but the lack of wounds/casualties from non-lethal options means you're fine as long as it wins (and it's not too bad about winning).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 01:30:16 am »

This is a really, really nice game. Well worth the price.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9