Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jeweler issue  (Read 1431 times)

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jeweler issue
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

I got a jeweler immigrant (novice gem cutter / novice gem setter) and I built the appropriate workshop for him to work in. I have a little gem stockpile near, mostly full of stone but with some rough agates, and a cluster of sapphire that I turned into a gem stockpile after digging it. Everything was going well.

When I put the "cut rough agates" or "cut sapphire" task in the workshop list, my jeweler told me I own no such gem. In fact, he never went out of the workshop after the first time he entered it, and he is now hungry and thirsty. No dwarf got the idea of hauling the gems to the workshop, althought I checked the door was passable. I don't have the slightest idea of what's going on. Any help?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Jeweler issue
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

Okay....   Sounds like you blocked him in.  Is the door on the right (as in, the opposite of left.  Silly language...) side of the workshop?

You see, every workshop has at least one tile that cannot be walked on.  When placing a workshop, you'll see nine green tiles.  The light green ones show you where you can walk, the dark green ones show you which ones are blocked.  The jeweler's workshop has all three tiles on the right side blocked.

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

You seem to be right (I mean, opposite of wrong  :)), the door is at the right. I'm making a mining expedition to save this poor jeweler I was shouting at .

Thanks for help.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

you can just deconstruct the work shop...

Garnan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BishopX:
<STRONG>you can just deconstruct the work shop...</STRONG>

Yeah, but his way is more fun.  ;)

he wolf collides with The human Drunk!
The wolf bounces backward!

Never underestimate the power of one''s beer belly.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

aaah yes I remember losing a fort because I managed to get 5 dwarfs trapped in their workshop my advice is build open plan all of my workshops are surrounded buy one square of open space in each direction (Normally a stockpile for the apropriate raw material) which means you never have to worrt about which workshop unpassable squares.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

Hah, I remember doing this same exact thing in my very first fortress ever. I thought it'd be neat that he had a little counter to stand behind. Unfortunately he had no way out, and was dead before I even realized it.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

MY problem is I just had a guy encrust ammo with clear diamonds and he made it into a masterpiece.  it's worth 213k.  There's practically no point in trading that.

I wanted something like 24k, but nooo he had to do a good job...

igless

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>MY problem is I just had a guy encrust ammo with clear diamonds and he made it into a masterpiece.  it's worth 213k.  There's practically no point in trading that.

I wanted something like 24k, but nooo he had to do a good job...</STRONG>

Request a lot of ammo from the traders, they will usually bring some expensive wares, you can trade that one for most of their stalk, then use the ones you've just bought to trade for future loads.

Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.