Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marking designations reveals more than i would expect  (Read 993 times)

0ink3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marking designations reveals more than i would expect
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »

I only just noticed that marking a designation reveals any undug veins that lay beneath it. Is this intended, or a bug ?

Seems a little cheaty in that you don't even need to break the ground nearby to reveal them.

(image below)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marking designations reveals more than i would expect
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:23:01 pm »

How did you do that? Designating areas in the tileset I'm using doesn't reveal anything.

0ink3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:27 pm »

I think it may be TWBT, if i run it vanilla (or with any print mode other than TWBT) it stops it from happening.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:08:45 am »

Seconded; I also think it might be something with your texture pack. I'm running TWBT and Phoebe under the Lazy Newb Pack, and I don't get that shenanigans.

The only other exploit I know like this is the dwarven 'dwarf-dar' exploit, where panning around with a farm plot designation in unseen areas will show tiles that have viable floor area with mud. (This is best for caverns, and figuring out where to put a downward shaft without intersecting open space).

0ink3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:15:32 pm »

True true,

I just ran it with the Phoebus tileset and the veins do not show anymore.

Perhaps then, it is not so much TWBT's doing rather than the Gemset tileset ?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »

Sometimes mining designation reveals cavern tree, in default ascii.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 05:19:08 am »

"Remove ramps" designations will also visibly mark unseen ramps - i.e. you can check for unknown, ramp-containing caverns by plastering a large multi-level d-z designation into the distant undug rock.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:21 pm »

It's probably showing up because gemset overrides those minerals in the overrides.txt so when your designation goes over it, it starts to override it right away. If the designation graphic was also overridden it probably wouldn't happen, although that is just a guess it's quite a logical one from what I understand about twbt and how it works. Not that it's much. I don't know if there's a way to override designations already in twbt though. Though it could be in it, I haven't played around with it much around the time it came out in 0.40.15ish.