Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Added a job and settings for unit trading at depot  (Read 1491 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
"Added a job and settings for unit trading at depot
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

I was just wondering, what is this means exactly?
We can trade "units"? For example we can trade a dwarf for a human unit?
I think that somehow I misunderstood the sentence, however if I didnt..well I really like the idea to exchange units between the civs.
   :D

[ September 03, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Added a job and settings for unit trading at depot
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

Uh? Write in English, please!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

Was that from a development list by Toady?

If so, then that's not what it means, probability = ~92%.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:57:00 am »

Yes, he's speaking of the "Recent development" list. To quote it:  
quote:
09/02/2007: Added a job and settings for unit trading at depot, handled broker/trading update

Tormy, I think this refers to how you now need one of your dwarves assigned to the depot or atleast beeing present at the depot for any trade to be done. As can be seen in the newest addition to said list:

quote:
The broker has been updated. You'll need somebody to trade at the depot now, and you can either make that your broker or any dwarf if the broker is having issues. I also made several minor changes to the trading process, though it's not quite where I'd like it to be. I need to do a few more things with nobles, but I'm through the big three now, so it shouldn't be long until that task is finished.

With so many different nationalities present on the boards, it's an easy mistake to make.

[ September 03, 2007: Message edited by: Merlon ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Merlon:
<STRONG>Yes, he's speaking of the "Recent development" list. To quote it:  

With so many different nationalities present on the boards, it's an easy mistake to make.

[ September 03, 2007: Message edited by: Merlon ]</STRONG>

Oh damn....I knew that it cant be true!   :(
Anyways, this would be a great idea to trade dwarves for other "creatures"!   :D

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

I don't think trading a dwarf for a human makes much sense (after all, what type of human wants to be surrounded by a bunch of stinky dwarves, and what type of dwarf wants to work surrounded by a bunch of stinky humans?).

I think that being able to send off for hired labor would make sense, especially once economy was started. I'm sure that even goblins wouldn't mind working in a dwarven fortress for enough money.

Speaking of trade, there's no such thing as a goblin trading caravan, is there? (maybe I'm giving them too much credit where intelligence and civility is concerned, but if your fortress is rich enough and strong enough, even goblins might rather trade than try to take the goods by force)

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Sylverone ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

I have never had the chance to do this. But is it possible to sell cages goblins to the caravans? I know its possible with animals.

The only way i can think of to trade off a dwarf though is to lure a bezerk one into a cage trap somehow.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

I wish that you could ship cripples back to dwarven home via the caravan for proper treatment.
http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sylverone:
<STRONG>I don't think trading a dwarf for a human makes much sense (after all, what type of human wants to be surrounded by a bunch of stinky dwarves, and what type of dwarf wants to work surrounded by a bunch of stinky humans?).

I think that being able to send off for hired labor would make sense, especially once economy was started. I'm sure that even goblins wouldn't mind working in a dwarven fortress for enough money.

Speaking of trade, there's no such thing as a goblin trading caravan, is there? (maybe I'm giving them too much credit where intelligence and civility is concerned, but if your fortress is rich enough and strong enough, even goblins might rather trade than try to take the goods by force)

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Sylverone ]</STRONG>

Well yeah that is right. However trading creatures is a good idea. Example sell / buy caged creatures or sell / buy war trained beasts etc.

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sylverone:
<STRONG>

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Sylverone ]</STRONG>

I doubt the dwarves would be caught dead letting a goblin set foot in a fortress without a few bolts and a spear stuck into it.
And similarly, I doubt the goblins would be caught dead in a fortress inhabited by "filthy" dwarves without killing and kidnapping anyone.

However, they'd be a good source of weaponry and shields, since you got to figure that after making hundreds and thousands of iron items, they have legendary weaponsmiths and armorsmiths.

This would probably be somewhere far down the line where there are inter-civ relations, like a goblin faction that breaks off from the rest of the goblins and actually strives for peace rather than warfare, or elves that go bonkers after tending to tree number #2352358 and burn puppies and children.

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]