Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decisions, decisions  (Read 1407 times)

Decisions, decisions
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:36:00 am »

My dwarf, Hephi, just became a legendary armorsmith. By creating artifact full plate iron armor.

Okay, assuming I'm willing to use hacks, is there any way to more-or-less safely relieve her of her possession?

-Albert

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

Destroy the limb with which she is holding the artifact or kill her. Unless you want to wait a few dozen years or unless a (rare?) bug occurs, there is no other way.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:51:00 am »

I thought someone suggested making a flood room, getting the artifact handler into it, then flooding it and unflooding it pretty quickly. Someone said it might knock the item out of their hand, but thats rather sketchy to me. I never remembered losing weapons/shields from my soldiers in the seasonal floods, but perhaps the dwarfmade floods are different.

Never tested, merely heard someone else suggest it before. Probably won't work, but its a suggestion!

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

What about a cave-in?  I know I've had woodcutters stunned and drop their axes during a cave in, so that might work.  However it might also kill and bury your dwarf.  You'll be able to dig the body (and artifact) out, but he'll be, you know, dead.

Honestly, I think you're better off utilizing his mad armorsmithing skills to make exceptional and masterwork steel plate for everybody, rather than possibly killing him to get an artifact iron plate for just one dwarf.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

I'm seriously considering putting the plate into the trade depot along with masterwork steel peripherals and a masterwork weapon (my weaponsmith, Vulcan, made an artifact copper serrated spinner thing years ago), abandoning, and sending in a dwarf adventurer to become decently equipped.

-Albert

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Albert the Absentminded:
<STRONG>I'm seriously considering putting the plate into the trade depot along with masterwork steel peripherals and a masterwork weapon (my weaponsmith, Vulcan, made an artifact copper serrated spinner thing years ago), abandoning, and sending in a dwarf adventurer to become decently equipped.</STRONG>

Just have him use the serrated blade. It does 2880 damage instead of a masterwork steel axe's 292.6.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

I will note that I've been filling the human requests for weapons - they are stuck with copper crap, I've been giving them x2 and x1.8 bronze weapons. I wonder any of that will show up in "The Romantic Kingdoms" when I switch to adventurer? 30 weapons a year tends to add up.

-Albert

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Albert the Absentminded:
<STRONG>I will note that I've been filling the human requests for weapons - they are stuck with copper crap, I've been giving them x2 and x1.8 bronze weapons. I wonder any of that will show up in "The Romantic Kingdoms" when I switch to adventurer? 30 weapons a year tends to add up.

-Albert</STRONG>

2x0.75(bronze) = 1.5
Steel base is 1.33
Iron base is 1.00

If you get the economy going and a few goblin sieges, you can get a near endless supply of iron from their equipment. Get a bunch of furnacedwarves melting iron armor and weapons all day, and have someone else turn all the iron into chainmail, shields, and weapons. I save plate for steel personally.

Mass produce iron weapons and armor and trade it off, see if that floods their markets in an adventure mode game.