Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Anvils (3/3)  (Read 872 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make Anvils (3/3)
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

I was thrilled with myself for having gotten to 1059 without a single criminal on my Justice list... at which point my lunatic broker demanded that I make THREE ANVILS.

I wonder if she's confused about the fact that the door to her bedroom has suddenly been locked from the outside.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Anvils (3/3)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

I'm confused, where is the difficulty in this? It's just some iron which you should have in near infinite supply thanks to goblin sieges and melting their armor/weapons.

I get those demands all the time and love them due to their simplicity. Used them in setting up more furnaces to melt armor at.

Edit: And if you really have no need for them afterwards, you can just make them and queue them up to be melted, only costing 1/3 of the materials to make them.

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: Ravendas ]

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:04:00 am »

I got that kind of demand once or twice... Last time, I made two steel anvils and used them to replace those iron ones in my two magma forges...

I know it doesn't change anything, but I like the idea of providing better and better quality to dwarves as time pass. And as I've noticed that, for example, the treasurer don't ask you for coins until a while if you just have enough in your fortress, I never got a second demand of anvils in the same game after I've done this in both.

But I didn't really test this out... Maybe it was just a lot of luck.  :D

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ravendas:
<STRONG>I'm confused, where is the difficulty in this? It's just some iron which you should have in near infinite supply thanks to goblin sieges and melting their armor/weapons.</STRONG>

I wouldn't call it a "difficulty," exactly, but it's an annoyance.  I hate the dwarven economy with a passion and I never turn it on, so iron is a finite resource in my fortresses.   And I don't like building things I can't use!

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

i wonder if some later version will let us smelt iron from sand, given the right type of sand.  like in Japan, you know?

then you would have a REASON to have sea-dwarfs and a beach fortress.

imagine how rare that would be, though.  if one or two spots on the entire world had iron-sand, and then you would also want there to be a costal volcano so that you could have magma-forges.  you'd have to generate a hundred worlds before lucking on the right combination.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

In the next version, I don't think we can take magma for granted anymore.