Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 13107 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

If it sounds good to you, write it. Write what you're excited about, because you'll need that motivation to keep going.

Re: what to expect: first time is usually pretty rough. Don't quit. Don't edit your stuff as you go; that wastes time and can be done later on. Aim to exceed the 1,666 daily word count, by as much as you can. Don't quit. If you fall behind, don't quit. If you get way ahead, don't quit.

Don't quit.

Yeah, you'll hit a point where you hate everything you've done. Everyone does, every time. My first year that lasted a week... second year it lasted a couple hours. Ignore it and keep writing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »

Alright, got signed in. My name on the site is Bernardo Hoagie.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »

I find myself in a comfortable position to try it for this year, provided college application things don't get too much in the way.

I've got a somewhat decent plan out for some science-fiction low-quality-super-tank action, so we'll see how it goes.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 11:24:35 am »

I joined up, same name as my forum handle.

Gonna try to write a funny story. Something like John Swartzwelder's stuff cause I love The Fifty-foot Detective. Can't wait to fail miserably  :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »

I don't know that I want to register on the site just yet, but the beginnings of a concept are forming in my head. If I can get a decent outline written before November I can see myself doing this.

For my story idea. It is called Newborn

It is sci-fi. The story deals with a group of people who lived in a utopian society, but after an accident, the residents were sent to cryosleep while the robotic servants cleaned of the mess. An untold amount of time passed, and the cryochambers open, leaving our protagonists to survive in a wild world reclaimed by nature, without their precious technology to aid and assist. Without even the very base survival skills, an already difficult task is made infinitely more difficult.

One of my ideas, anyway, hopefully this'll have enough material for 50,000 words. Does this sound good to you?

This sounds like a decent concept, and I can't think of any existing thing that does this either. If you can get a story planned out I'd say go for it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »

Posting to watch, posting to cry.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

Posting to watch, posting to cry.

That's the spirit!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

Oh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

dammit I have too much excessive emotional commitment going on in my head right now to really write all that much.
That's my excuse.
PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »

Here's the novel I'm going to write. It's nothing too serious, but not really wacky either. Hopefully it's something enjoyable.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/bernardo-hoagie/novels/centralia-the-filthy-moon

Is the image okay to use?
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 06:14:51 pm »

Your single-line excerpt is pretty great, gotta say. I don't see any problem with the image, why?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 06:32:07 pm »

Copyright reasons.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 03:42:35 am »

Looks like I'm going to have a go at this for the first time. I signed up as Gamedragon if anyone wants to know. One question however, should I plan anything or just wing it?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 03:48:04 am »

Looks like I'm going to have a go at this for the first time. I signed up as Gamedragon if anyone wants to know. One question however, should I plan anything or just wing it?

That's a personal decision. I think on the Nano Forums they call that either Planners or Pantsers (go by the seat of their pants).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 03:50:57 am »

I have a feeling I'll be the second.  :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 12:28:09 am »

Hm. I have always wanted to get to work on a novel. Very well. I shall attempt this and fall humorously short!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12