Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 13106 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo 2015
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:15 am »

Shudder in terror, for the National Novel Writing Month approaches.

I made this thread in advance 'cause it's usually good to get some preparation done.

Old threads: 2014 2013 2012

Getting a wee bit too close to November for comfort now - can't really put off planning any longer. I don't know if you guys prefer pantsing, but I get completely lost without at least an outline for this thing.

So... What're you guys doing for this year? Are you doing it this year? I remember we had an IRC room, but I forget the details of it. Word wars helped so much last year imo.

I'm gonna write a thing about feuding thieves and knights cause apparently there isn't anything but that kind of sludge in my head. Woo~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:10:15 am »

What the heck, PTW.
Not that I'll possibly be able to do so.  School and not a really good writer do not a novel make.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:40:28 am »

Anybody else have no idea what to write about yet?  :'(

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:07:58 am »

We had an IRC at irc.freenode.net #bay12nano last year.

Dunno if I'll do it this year, I'm writing arguably the most important exams of my life. Might see what I can scratch out between study sessions or something. I haven't been writing nearly as much as I should be recently...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:02:13 am »

Anybody else have no idea what to write about yet?  :'(
You're not alone in that.  I'm considering doing this for the first time but have no idea what to write about.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »

The bad news is I am not participating this year.

The good news is it's that I am finishing up a successful draft of a 100k+ word book I started last November during NaNo. The system works*.

(* for some people)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:41 pm »

Already started an outline for the second book in a series I started last year. Have my cover started and everything. Should be no problem, third win in a row incoming.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:11 pm »

Going to attempt my third win this year, with the added challenges of being in college this time, rather than responsibility-less, and writing horror/science fiction. Should be interesting.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:24:08 am »

I don't think I'll participate this year, but I will be writing ongoing things like a demon and likely creeping around the chat. Good luck to y'all! Don't think, just write!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 03:11:20 pm »

I'm going to give this a shot, this'll be the first time doing something like this. What should I expect?
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 03:22:06 pm »

I'm going to give this a shot, this'll be the first time doing something like this. What should I expect?

Blood and tears. Fire raining down from the sky. The sun turning black and the oceans into ice.

Other than that, the biggest problem for most people, I think, is the urge to perfect and polish. I don't think editing during NaNo is bad, per se, but your first priority should be getting words out, whatever their quality. You'll feel like what you're writing is garbage, but carry on. If really needed, skip ahead and fill in the gap during another day. Just make sure you get stuff down.

But really - it's probably going to be hella fun. It's been so for me. Do join the chat, if we make one, and work with others - the sense of community is one of the things I love about NaNo.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »

You should expect to be tired of it from 5-11 days in. You should expect to get discouraged at some people in the process. You should expect to have your expectation of what 50,000 words is actually like altered despite having a rough idea of it already in your head.

The important thing to realize is that even with forewarning this is going to happen, and you need to power through those if you want to succeed.

I've participated about 5 times in some way or another, and I've succeeded once. I succeeded on #3. That means I've failed twice after I thought I figured out how to do it. Determination really is the key factor.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 04:41:58 pm »

How did I not know this was a thing? Count me in!

Made a profile under the name Silthuri if anyone's interested.

I'll probably be writing some sort of fantasy thing I've been tossing about in my head for a couple months now.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:47:48 pm »

I'm in this year as well.

I guess they have updates on the badge stuff on their website.  My profile is Malt_Hitman is anyone, new or old, needs to add me as a writing buddy.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »

For my story idea. It is called Newborn

It is sci-fi. The story deals with a group of people who lived in a utopian society, but after an accident, the residents were sent to cryosleep while the robotic servants cleaned of the mess. An untold amount of time passed, and the cryochambers open, leaving our protagonists to survive in a wild world reclaimed by nature, without their precious technology to aid and assist. Without even the very base survival skills, an already difficult task is made infinitely more difficult.

One of my ideas, anyway, hopefully this'll have enough material for 50,000 words. Does this sound good to you?
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12