Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did goblin thieves get buffed?  (Read 1503 times)

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did goblin thieves get buffed?
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

I just got my first couple of goblin kidnappers since playing .33g (I know, I know, haven't had much time to play) and two dwarves are in their coffins. One mason got stabbed in the heart while trying to apprehend one of them and bled to death, and a brewer got knocked out and hacked to bits when the other one snatched her baby. I think this is the first time I've ever had dwarves killed by goblin thieves. Did they get made more aggressive in one of the recent updates, or are my dwarves just pansies?
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did goblin thieves get buffed?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I had my dungeon master take out a goblin master thief singlehandedly without any wounds... (though he does have v.strong, v.agile and tough) so I don't think they've been buffed. You were probably just unlucky with that mason getting stabbed in the chest.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

I know they still die easily - I had another three come just now, and the first one got one-shotted by my Ultra-Mighty Mayor/Miner (with a punch, he wasn't even holding a pick at the time), another got held down by a novice wrestler while a passing woodcutter split his skull open, then the third got decapitated by an untrained dog (I have a screenshot of the dog's inventory, with "[goblinname]'s head: Mouth". so awesome).
It's just the fact that they actually use those big iron knives they carry around now. I'm pretty sure in the old days they never did anything with them.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

They get lucky, like how my legendary engraver, who I had tasked to smoothing out the glacier outside, was attacked and killed by a goblin thief, who proceeded to take her baby and run. Damn babies, they cause nothing but trouble.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG>I know they still die easily - I had another three come just now, and the first one got one-shotted by my Ultra-Mighty Mayor/Miner (with a punch, he wasn't even holding a pick at the time), another got held down by a novice wrestler while a passing woodcutter split his skull open, then the third got decapitated by an untrained dog (I have a screenshot of the dog's inventory, with "[goblinname]'s head: Mouth". so awesome).
</STRONG>

Wow.  Those conjure up some really cool images, don't they?  The mayor ought to get some cool engravings after that.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

Haven't seen much resistance from goblin thieves, although I did have the goblin leader thief attempt to steal a baby. I grabbed the nearest dwarf and sent him after the goblin, he shortly got stabbed in the upper body, mangling a lung, fortunately the goblin left him like this and kept going into the waiting weapons of my Dwarven military.

The guy is still alive and well. Not even going unconscious from it, unlike a dwarf who this happened to before in the old version.

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

i got a peaseant with 2 eyes ripped off, red troath and he managed to jump off the  third attack... in the direction of the pit assigned to the goblin snatcher. then another peaseant comes, gets the goblin, and throws it in the pit, without battle, just like another tamed animal, dont know why...

also i have seen a untrained peaseant with a iron spear kill a cougar in 1 hit.

i think is just a luck strike. like a one-hit decapitation.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

It seems to me like they have gotten stronger, or at least some of them - right around the time the hunters got better too. Or maybe they just got an AI attacking type boost - like not grabbing limbs and then letting them go the next turn

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

goblin thieves have always gotten lucky hits sometimes, I don't think they are any stronger. I had a lone rhesus macaque kill a woodcutter with a steel axe once, which just shows that sometimes the dwarves have bad luck.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!