Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age of Decadence is finally out.  (Read 2960 times)

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Decadence is finally out.
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:09 am »

After 10 or so years of development. Pretty sure i forgot and then rediscovered it at least 3 times over the last decade. Played around for a bit, so far so good.

Difficulty is on point (might feel hard or downright unfair for people who grew up on Skyrim and such), choice and consequence is present and has more of a CYOA feel to it, compared to other CRPGs where C&C is mostly about flavor. Combat is a bit iffy, but you can go through the game without killing a single person apparently, so there's that.

Engine is quite dated (for obvious reasons), this might prevent some people from enjoying it. Though, if you went through Wasteland 2 and liked it, you should feel right at home, considering that the game looks roughly the same but is clearly superior in every other way (writing, mechanics, etc).

Demo (and full version) should be available on steam, also you can buy it on GoG and on their site directly:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/buy-now
https://www.gog.com/game/the_age_of_decadence
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence is finally out.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:42 am »

I loved AoD back in the demo days and bought it immediately, haven't got around to playing yet. Unfortunate how ugly it is in the modern day. While it won't prevent me from enjoying the game, I'm sure it will make it sell less. They'd deserve success.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 08:23:26 am »

Definitely, though i wish they went with 2d, i can't stand early 3d look :( I'm still playing however, so that says a lot.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:43:40 am »

Never heard of it before, I'll definitely try out the demo.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:12:39 pm »

I remember seeing it on steam but I didn't realize it was actually releasing.

Age of Decadence is out.  Those words weren't meant to be used in conjunction.  The laws of physics momentarily warp and a star explodes in a distant galaxy, killing billions.

As long as Infinity doesn't come out the universe should be fine.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »

Tomorrow they'll announce Half-Life 3.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:45:47 pm »

Demo was interesting, but not sure I'm willing to pay that much for the full game. I'll keep an eye open see what people think of the full version.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:36 am »

Can someone give me a brief rundown? It looks good, but it's also just got that sort of generic fallout clone quality which I'm just not sure about.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 05:14:35 am »

Combat is a bit iffy, but you can go through the game without killing a single person apparently, so there's that.

I have a feeling that I'd be the one making this game boring for myself by attempting that.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 05:26:48 am »

Can someone give me a brief rundown? It looks good, but it's also just got that sort of generic fallout clone quality which I'm just not sure about.

The main difference, to me, is the amount and quality of dialogue. Basically, you have many skills which affect interactions and you can breeze your way through the game without a single combat if you are careful. Combat is dangerous and lethal, especially if you are fighting one against many. These two things sold the game to me.

You can use the demo to see for yourself.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 06:04:37 am »

As long as Infinity doesn't come out the universe should be fine.
https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:34 am »

The main difference, to me, is the amount and quality of dialogue. Basically, you have many skills which affect interactions and you can breeze your way through the game without a single combat if you are careful. Combat is dangerous and lethal, especially if you are fighting one against many. These two things sold the game to me.

You can use the demo to see for yourself.

I've seen a few people remarking that the game doesn't lend itself very well to hybrid builds. If you want to be a speaker, fighter or thief that's fine as long as you put all your skill gains towards that. Making a fighter/diplomatic character seems to mean that combat is too difficult to survive because your fighting skills won't be high enough. Also a few comments about skill checks being kind of "Do you have 6 points in talking? If yes you succeed, if no you don't".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 08:13:58 am »

I loved the demo. But the price is a bit too high for me. Has the demo been updated recently?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 09:39:33 am »

Yeah it is true that hybrid builds get shafted, but that is the way it is in many games. I think in this case it adds to the game since your starting career choices sets the story in motion in a different way. Thus there is an incentive to play again with different type of character anyway instead of gotta-catch-em-all in one play.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 09:56:53 am »

I loved the demo. But the price is a bit too high for me. Has the demo been updated recently?

It will probably get a hefty discount down the line, so if money is tight put it on your wishlist and forget about it till winter sale.

Not sure about how up-to-date demo is, it's supposed to be a first town of the game, which was built quite some time ago, so take it as you will.

Pages: [1] 2