Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 192992 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1275 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »

On a DF forum of all places, none pursue things simply because they are easy

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 31, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »

tbh russia should join eu

If the EU falls apart/becomes less relevant, does this become the general Europe thread #2?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 01, 2017, 05:28:25 am »

Hey, we still got news in Australia!

Like the kangaroo that jumped over a bicycle.

...yeah, busy news day that day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1278 on: February 01, 2017, 07:08:55 am »

tbh russia should join eu
If the EU falls apart/becomes less relevant, does this become the general Europe thread #2?
Probably better to have a Newroupe thread, though this certainly could apply to everyone if say, one nation becomes the last member of the EU

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 01, 2017, 09:36:08 am »

There's apparently a bit of the growing warfare problem in Donbass.

[liberal]Obviously this is an attempt to finally conquer Ukraine by Russian government, emboldened by the victory of the pro-Russian tyrant Donald Trump, and solve the "problem of Ukrainians" once and for all[/liberal]

DNR and Ukraine are blaming each other, like it's 2014 once again. The rebel narrative is "With Trump in office, Ukraine is trying to escalate the situation in order to attract international support and foil any US-Russian negotiation attempts". The Ukrainian narrative is "With Trump in office, Russian aggressors think they are free to advance with impunity".

On the Internet, Ukrainian and Yuropean hotheads are once again calling for a NATO military intervention against "Russian invaders".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 01, 2017, 09:39:31 am »

Wouldn't it be a nice opportunity to test the European and/or US airforce against Russian AA installations?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 01, 2017, 09:45:25 am »

Wouldn't it be a nice opportunity to test the European and/or US airforce against Russian AA installations?
The problem is, it would also be also a nice opportunity to test Russian force against EU installations in the Baltic states and Poland, after which it would also be a nice opportunity to test American missiles against Russian strategic targets, and Russian missiles against American strategic targets...

In the meantime, people around the world will be engaged in a unique Metro 2033 live action role playing event.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:47:04 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 01, 2017, 09:47:45 am »

Who says it would escalate? The Russian official line is still 'We're not there, and we're not helping.' They don't exactly have a casus belli there. Hell, they aren't even waging war against Ukraine directly - why would they go after the much, much bigger fish then?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 01, 2017, 10:01:07 am »

Who says it would escalate? The Russian official line is still 'We're not there, and we're not helping.' They don't exactly have a casus belli there. Hell, they aren't even waging war against Ukraine directly - why would they go after the much, much bigger fish then?
This is a direct way to open war between Russia and the West. Letting the DNR/LNR be crushed by NATO forces will seriously complicate the political situation in Russia against Putin - there will be a hell of a lot more refugees, and nationalists will argue that he let NATO stand straight on Russia's southern borders. Furthermore, lack of Russian reaction might tempt NATO to blockade and/or invade Crimea.

The only option to deter NATO in this situation and preserve face is to pull off another South Ossetia and openly invade Ukraine 2008 style. After that, anything is possible.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:03:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:28 am »

No that sounds like a terrible idea. Testing Russian response times maybe, but after Turkey, Russians are very jumpy right now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 01, 2017, 11:07:07 am »

That would be a nice opportunity to test Russian AA installations against the European and/or US airforce, yes.

Actually, Russian government does have a casus belli against Ukraine, since the spring 2014 - namely, a written letter from Yanukovich with a plea to intervene and depose the "coup government". They just never used it, because that would be a dramatic escalation of an already quite hot situation.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12:38 am »

That would be a nice opportunity to test Russian AA installations against the European and/or US airforce, yes.

Actually, Russian government does have a casus belli against Ukraine, since the spring 2014 - namely, a written letter from Yanukovich with a plea to intervene and depose the "coup government". They just never used it, because that would be a dramatic escalation of an already quite hot situation.

Nah, Putin is using the 'Former Soviet sattelite state' causus belli on Ukraine and the other former Soviet vassal states.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 01, 2017, 11:23:06 am »

Nah, Putin is using the 'Former Soviet sattelite state' causus belli on Ukraine and the other former Soviet vassal states.
But I thought Kazakhstan was still independent?
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 01, 2017, 11:37:24 am »

Except that Kazakistan is about as democratic as Russia under Putin, and has a government that is plenty Russian-friendly. Putin is more concentrated on the Caucasus region and Eastern Europe.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 01, 2017, 11:47:58 am »

Except that Kazakistan is about as democratic as Russia under Putin, and has a government that is plenty Russian-friendly. Putin is more concentrated on the Caucasus region and Eastern Europe.
I think he's more concentrated to take control over as many trade routes in between China and EU as possible. "The one who controls the trade controls the world", yo. Ukraine seems more like a panic attempt to preserve the military status-quo in the region and makes little sense to me.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 162