Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 193116 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1290 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:54 am »

Except that Kazakistan is about as democratic as Russia under Putin, and has a government that is plenty Russian-friendly. Putin is more concentrated on the Caucasus region and Eastern Europe.
I think he's more concentrated to take control over as many trade routes in between China and EU as possible. "The one who controls the trade controls the world", yo. Ukraine seems more like a panic attempt to preserve the military status-quo in the region and makes little sense to me.

Crimea is also actually pretty strategic because it'd be a major Black Sea port, although Russia already has access to the Black Sea.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:51 pm »

Crimea is also actually pretty strategic because it'd be a major Black Sea port, although Russia already has access to the Black Sea.
Russia is too poor to afford constructing new military-grade ports. Then again, the economic losses suffered by Russian economy and, by the virtue of budget cuts, by Russian military, probably outweigh those.

Like I've said, it was probably mostly due to panic. Someone hit the panic button, broke the glass, activated ALL the contingencies at the same time, stuff like that, because they saw a President of a country very similar to Russia - and Ukraine is very similar to Russia, that I can tell you - getting deposed in a swift and decisive manner, which probably triggered the hell out of them. And after it was done, it was too late for backsies.

E: So, apparently since Belarus has entered a visa-less agreement with 80-some other countries, the border between Russia and Belarus is going to be heavily fortified by FSB. I wonder if Belarus' KGB is going to do the same on its own end?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:36:48 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 01, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »

The most interesting theory I heard on the Crimea is actually neither the Crimean Russians or Sevastopol, as nice as the lease was, were the primary goal.  Crimea also provides vast territorial claims in the Black Sea, which has significant natural gas deposits.  In the hands of Ukraine, it's a source of economic competition.  In the hands of Russia, it's a potential addition to their existing vast supplies, as well as allowing for a potential direct of the Black Sea pipeline through Russian waters directly to Europe (though it seems that once the South Stream was cancelled, the Turkish Stream may remain the preferred route for political reasons if the Russo-Turkish thaw continues).  I'm not entirely certain I buy it, but it was a nice bonus to the main event (which, to me, seemed more like a convenient way to polish up Putin's already-high popularity domestically, though a panic-response does seem quite plausible as well). 

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 02, 2017, 06:34:53 am »

E: So, apparently since Belarus has entered a visa-less agreement with 80-some other countries, the border between Russia and Belarus is going to be heavily fortified by FSB. I wonder if Belarus' KGB is going to do the same on its own end?

The Belarusian side already delimited their own "border zones" back in 2014.

Also, that visa-free thingamajig only applies to tourists arriving at certain places (Minsk International Airport and the Belarusian side of Belovezha Forest, IIRC) for 5 days. It's still enough to cause headaches for Russian officials.
According to Belarusian media, local authorities also consider adding the border city of Brest to that list.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 06, 2017, 05:31:42 am »

Apparently a scud missile fired by yemeni rebels has hit a military base in saudi arabia last night. No death count yet
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 07, 2017, 07:42:34 am »

Russian opposition politician, and Putin-critisizer Vladimir Kara-Moerza is being kept in an artificial coma in a hospital in Moscow, after doctors diagnosed him with 'acute poisoning by an unknown substance'.
Two years ago, Kara-Moerza also ended up in critical condition in hospital, after being poisoned. He himself believed back then that he was poisoned because of his political activities.

Kara-Moerza is a fierce critic of Putin and his government. In the past weeks, he was touring Russia with a documentary about his former fellow critic, Boris Nemtsov, who was murdered next to the Kremlin two years ago.
He is also the vice-chairman of Open Russia, and organisation supporting resistance against the Putin regime, founded by former oil baron Michaïl Chodorkovski.

In his function as vice-chairman, he wrote a letter to US Senate last month, during the hearing of Rex Tillerson, who has now been made minister of Foreign Affairs.
"In Russia, there are bigger threats than libel and imprisonment, for people resisting the regime", he wrote.
He called upon the Senate to "include the dismantling of democratic institutions in Russia" in any new steps taken in regard to US - Russian relations.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 07, 2017, 08:13:15 am »

He called upon the Senate to "include the dismantling of democratic institutions in Russia" in any new steps taken in regard to US - Russian relations.
Aaaaand there's the reason why he was poisoned.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1297 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:03 am »

Will Putin ever stop poisoning people who criticize him

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1298 on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:50 pm »

Why? He's basically playing country wide RL Dwarf Fortress, and all you need do is visit the upper boards to work out how fun it is to poison everyone.
It's very difficult to poison things in DF intentionally

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 07, 2017, 02:46:44 pm »

Will Putin ever stop poisoning people who criticize him

Luckily for him he has a useful idiot in the White House.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1300 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:45 pm »

What difference do useful idiots make if useless geniuses have failed to halt anything

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »

... If all it takes is for them to run through it, it's poisonous, not venomous.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1302 on: February 07, 2017, 06:05:29 pm »

Yeah Egan is right, also Putin isn't allowed to order his opposition to walk into poison, but he is fond of ordering his men to deliberately poison his foes in a very undorfy manner

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 08, 2017, 04:11:08 pm »

Putin 'poisons' his opponents chances another way...  Maybe.
Eh, he wouldn't be able to succeed regardless of this. He's too close to the PARNAS and other similar "radical liberal" organizations, and the animosity towards these among Russians is nigh-reflexive at this point.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 162