Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 193257 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1485 on: April 16, 2017, 10:21:42 am »

You forgot the part where the gays are put into concentration camps, first concentration camps in Europe for LGBT people since Hitler.

I thought you were kidding but apparently you were not.

Human Rights Watch has called upon western countries to supply emergency visa for gay people that can manage to reach their embassies in Russia.
A few hundred gay men have been arrested in CHechen. At least 3 were murdered by the police, at least one was murdered by his own family, after being anal raped with wooden poles and glass bottles by the police, and forced to confess his sexuality in front of his family. Many of the arrested are missing.
According to Boris Dittrich, former dutch politician and now director of LGBT rights at HRW, he has not seen large scale and brutal violence against gays since he started working at HRW 10 years ago.

Next week he will attend a UN meeting in New York, where he will try to put the issue higher on the agenda.
According to Dittrich, Putin has the power to end this, by disciplining his vassal Kadyrov.
The Kremlin however, abstains. The only statement it made is that they cannot verify the accusations made by HRW and Novaja Gazeta from reliable sources.

Meanwhile, journalists at the Novaja Gazeta newspaper are fearing for their safety. Since the publication of their article, CHechen authorities, clerics, and clan leaders want their heads. A Chechen government minister demanded an apology from the newspaper for daring to write about the 'deadly sin, sodomy'.
The newspaper does have some reason to fear for their safety.
In 2006, one of the newspaper's journalists, Anna Politikovskaya, was murdered in Moscow. The murder was never solved.

According to the Kremlin, 'not a single gay has reported abuse with the authorities'. Duh. It's the aurhorities that are anal raping and killing them, ofcourse they haven't reported abuse.

I fear we'll find the couple of hundred missing gays in a mass grave somewhere, a couple of decades from now :(

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/homo-s-tsjetsjenie-ontvoerd-en-gemarteld-human-rights-watch-wil-noodvisa~a4487733/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:23:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 16, 2017, 12:18:21 pm »

Anyone interested in discussing Turkey's further decent into dictatorship today?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 16, 2017, 12:19:09 pm »

...spork.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »

Hadn't heard the result, yet, but assume Turkey has actually not voted for Christmas, yes?

(Had that joke in mind for ages, such that I feel that it would be spoiling it to look up the actual news.)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »

Yes is at 51.31% as of the time I'm posting this, with 98.36% of ballots counted according to CNNturk. Turkey's definitely in for a doubling down of the dictatorship. Rumours of pre-stamped ballots have also started cropping up already. The interesting thing to see will be how the overseas Turks voted, especially in the Netherlands.

United Forenia Forever!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 16, 2017, 02:03:06 pm »

Yes is at 51.31% as of the time I'm posting this
Almost an overwhelming majority, that...  And then there's the millions of fraudulent contrary votes that will have to be discounted.

(I may even end up not even be being satirical, before long, but actually prophetic.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 16, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »

Turkish opposition has already called for a recount of more than half of the votes.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 16, 2017, 05:13:51 pm »

Turkey in a few years

anyway i have been seeing a bunch of idiots saying make Turkey great again. that stupid phrase needs to die. i will enjoy their tears when their delusion collapses around their ears like it always does. also i 100% expect that the vote was rigged.

found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:41:43 pm by redwallzyl »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 16, 2017, 09:34:24 pm »

The vote in Turkey was completely unsurprising - yet another referendum that drastically reduces the freedom in a nation while being "close" to make it seem like it isn't completely rigged. You do have to give Erdogan credit for making it seem like he'll have to eventually step down - he put what seems like a 5-year limit into the referendum but in practice will be 12 years (2 five-year terms starting in 2019, according to what I've read) by which point he'll either have enough power to extend that to more terms or he'll be old enough and decide to retire anyway.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2017, 02:06:41 am »

I'm not sure the ballot were actually stuffed: the jailing of many opposition politicians, the control of the media and the banning of opposition material probably was enough.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2017, 02:11:53 am »

So yeah, Turkey is now gonna be the Ottoman Empire. Sad stuff.

Also, didn't know where to put it, so I'll do it here:
It'd make for a great "demonic tank".
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2017, 02:12:14 am »

Heh, 70% of Dutch Turks apparently voted YES. Contrast that to the UK, where 80% of the English Turks voted NO.

To be a bit fair, the change didn't make Erdogan a dictator yet. It gives him about the same power as the US president. Then again, it could be argued that the US is a dictatorship as well.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2017, 02:23:24 am »

Heh, 70% of Dutch Turks apparently voted YES. Contrast that to the UK, where 80% of the English Turks voted NO.

To be a bit fair, the change didn't make Erdogan a dictator yet. It gives him about the same power as the US president. Then again, it could be argued that the US is a dictatorship as well.

Apparently 75% yes in Belgium too. I guess it's related to origin of migrants: the Turks of Belgium and Netherlands who mostly came in guest-worker scheme are mostly from the Anatolia region which are staunchly pro-Erdogan. I guess the UK Turks are more recent immigrants from the cities.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 17, 2017, 06:41:33 am »

If anything, I don't think the Turkish government actually had to outright interfere with the vote, because if they did, they likely wouldn't leave it down to a hair's breadth win. Never underestimate what controlling all media, purging opposition politicians and turning government apparatus to your benefit will do for shifting votes.

United Forenia Forever!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1499 on: April 17, 2017, 07:41:07 am »

Apparently 75% yes in Belgium too. I guess it's related to origin of migrants: the Turks of Belgium and Netherlands who mostly came in guest-worker scheme are mostly from the Anatolia region which are staunchly pro-Erdogan. I guess the UK Turks are more recent immigrants from the cities.
Far from recent, the Turkish community in the UK is old, dates back centuries from when the English allied with/freed imprisoned Turks from Spanish rivals. The next big wave would come from the secular reformers, many of whom tried to reform the Ottoman Empire and were trained or educated mainly in Paris or London, and would take refuge in London over the course of the world war. The largest wave so far came mainly from Cyprus with loads of Turkish Cypriots, while the later mainland Anatolian Turks arriving tended to be students or highly educated professionals - not exactly the kinds of people appealed by the death of academic freedom
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 162