Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 193055 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1650 on: December 05, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »

The International Olympics Committee is still somewhat miffed about the Russian government's attempts to cheat.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/05/568585759/russia-faces-2018-olympics-ban-as-ioc-rules-on-widespread-doping   

Entertainingly, Russians in 2018 will not be allowed to compete under the Russian flag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe they can compete under Belarus or Khazakhistan or something?

Kind of funny (in the non-ha ha way) that they made the decision mere months before the Olympics

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:10 pm »

The International Olympics Committee is still somewhat miffed about the Russian government's attempts to cheat.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/05/568585759/russia-faces-2018-olympics-ban-as-ioc-rules-on-widespread-doping   

Entertainingly, Russians in 2018 will not be allowed to compete under the Russian flag.

Maybe they can compete under Belarus or Khazakhistan or something?

Kind of funny (in the non-ha ha way) that they made the decision mere months before the Olympics

I found a better joke on imgur.

Instead of showing up under the Soviet flag, they just arrive with Russian accents and no markings. When asked, Putin will claim " they were merely spontaneous 'self-athletic  groups' who may have acquired their Russian-looking uniforms from local shops."

By the end of the Olympics, they will have annexed a good portion of the Ukrainian housing in the Olympic village.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 06, 2017, 01:32:20 am »

You just want to see the athletes compete naked, don't you?
Is there already a naked olympics? If not someone needs to get to work.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:58 am »

As a twist, the judges and spectators also must participate unclothed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1654 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:25 am »

As a twist, the judges and spectators also must participate unclothed.
That would certainly help solve some security issues

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 06, 2017, 11:00:14 am »

I'd be really down with just making it an Athens thing again, like it was originally.

Well, that's one way to make the Greek economy even worse.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:44 am »

I'd be really down with just making it an Athens thing again, like it was originally.

Would it be that bad if it was a recurring thing? I mean, it's a money sink to organize once, but you wouldn't need to rebuild infrastructure all the time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »

Would it be that bad if it was a recurring thing? I mean, it's a money sink to organize once, but you wouldn't need to rebuild infrastructure all the time.
It'll be the initial investment.  Probably the maintenance cost of the infrastructure will be a good chunk and it's revenue stream only coming from the Olympics rolling around. 
It may take quite a few years to pay off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:39 pm »

Not strictly EU related, but is Europe related and has Israel, The Czech Republic is following Trumps lead and recognizing west Jerusalem as Israel's capitol. Coming so soon after Trump made his announcement, it makes you wonder if they've had the idea of doing so for years but understandably didn't want to be the ones making the first step.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1659 on: December 06, 2017, 05:35:37 pm »

Not strictly EU related, but is Europe related and has Israel, The Czech Republic is following Trumps lead and recognizing west Jerusalem as Israel's capitol. Coming so soon after Trump made his announcement, it makes you wonder if they've had the idea of doing so for years but understandably didn't want to be the ones making the first step.
Not at all surprising, the Czech government has always supported Israel. They supported their raid on the Gaza flotilla, they always vote in favour of Israel within the EU or UN, even if it means they're the only country in Europe doing so. In regards to your suspicion, you're absolutely correct, they've had public plans to move their embassy to Jerusalem since 2013. The only thing you're wrong on is that they're not following Trump's lead

Relevant:
President of the Czech Republic, Milos Zeman, spoke at the AIPAC Policy Conference in the United States and said that “We all know President Kennedy’s statement, ‘I am a Berliner.’ We now all must say: ‘We are all Jews.’ Our common enemy is Islamist terror. We will never march like sheep to the slaughter. Never again.”
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is slated to speak at the conference at 5:00 p.m.
It is much more accurate to say that Trump followed the lead of AIPAC, the Czech and Israeli Presidents

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 12, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »

Since there's no way in hell Russia would admit anything that labels it as guilty while Putin and his people remain in office, it effectively means Russia's participation in the Olympic Games is officially over.
Rip in piss, Russian Olympic team (1994-2017).

The idea of boycotting the 2018 games should any Russian athlete be barred from participating was already floating in the Russian media, though. Also, due to current anti-Western sentiment, anyone who would dare compete under the Olympic flag should better apply for political asylum afterwards - their participation would be considered high treason by many in their homeland.

Looks like they decided that the political risk was worth proving that they weren't doing doping. They've agreed to send athletes under a neutral flag, basically they're deciding to take the punishment and stand tall rather than stay home and sulk over it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 12, 2017, 08:53:15 pm »

The Russian Olympic Committee decided that...how the state and the public react may still be another matter. If Putin or a mouthpiece supports the ruling I'll believe it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:14 pm »

I thought Putin would maybe have control over the decisions that the Russian Olympic Committee makes, given how theres not much that happens without Putins approval. Might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but still.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 23, 2020, 05:29:42 am »

I know that I am performing a dirty act of Necromancy but there is no other topic for this and creating a new one is... a meh thing to do for a user with my level of activity.

Belarus may become European Syria soon. There is a real dictator who has, at most, something like 35% of the nation supporting him (Much less if you omit people aged 65+ ) and there is no indication that he may be forced out of his position by current peaceful protests.

Not that violent rebellion has any real chance either. That 35% seem to include the vast majority of military, police, and secret services. Also, Lukashenka has the full support of Russia.

I think that the violent phase is almost guaranteed and that means a bloody crackdown and a lot, a lot of refugees. We are talking about a 10M nation here. It is like half of Syrian pre-war population.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1664 on: August 23, 2020, 05:52:10 am »

Also like Syria, expect a Russian intervention
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 162