Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 193414 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1950 on: July 19, 2022, 10:50:22 am »

Where I live the only day it’s not 30 or above this week is Wednesday. Then it rains, and will probably make the remainder of the week utterly horrible with extra humidity. Rinse and repeat until… I dunno, hopefully September but it might go a bit longer, and then I might get some sensible weather for a week or two until it’s too cold and starts snowing for 5 months.

What's the temperature inside your house? Because at midnight last night the coldest room in my house was 28c (downstairs living room). And you can feel when you hit the wall of heat that's above that when you go upstairs.

Pretty constant 25-26C at night time. It was 22 outside at 3am for some reason.

But yeah, to keep the house cooler you need to keep the windows and curtains shut o the side of the house the sun is on, only open the windows when the outside is cooler than the inside, which usually means at night, and try to get a cross breeze going to actually move the warm air out. A window fan is useful for this if you have one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 19, 2022, 11:32:22 am »

Two more tricks: 1 -- I don't actually use this one myself but I've read it -- supposedly it's better to take warm showers when it's hot, because it makes the body go "gee it's hot better start open the cooling vents!" so you cool down faster when you get out of the shower, or something.

2. Fill up up a foot sized tub or bucket or whatever they'd be called kn English and put your feet in them. Feet are supposedly one of the main cooling areas so cooling them down will cool you down. This one I do use but don't actually know if it works, like, scientifically speaking. I might just be a big fool with my feet in a cooking pot
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1952 on: July 19, 2022, 11:38:20 am »

yeah 26c is the upper of the recommended range you keep a house at (20c to 26c). My living room is 30c now.

I do not vibe with this universe.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 19, 2022, 11:43:49 am »

Keeping windows shut with dark curtains closed on the inside can be a heat-trap situation. Depending upon the wind, and what other windows/doors/catflaps/etc you can and do have open, it might actually not be a bad thing to open the sun-facing windows.

It all depends upon whether outdoor ambient air heat is above or below what you can end up matching indoors (at any given time) by hermetically sealing yourself off. Windows on the first floor will probably get fed with cooler winds (and more throughput) than the ground floor, if that's useful to your situation. (Or at a time when the cool(er)-of-the-night can be let fly through to store up anti-heat for the next day...

Hard to give definitive advice. Close the external shutters, admire your freshly whitewashed walls and move yourself into the cellar, if you can, but not everyone will be in a position to make use of those hints. (Living somewhere where it isn't actually so hot at the moment, also. ;) )

(Regarding the feetthing... (Footbath? Although a washing-up-bowl would be fairly available to most people.) ...I'm a great believer in wrists. If it's cold out, I can wear a jacket open and have no gloves as long as my sleeves cover my wrists, and if it's hot I'll splash water on them (better/more practical than any other bit of the body) and let moisture evaporate away.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 19, 2022, 11:51:31 am »

Yes scriver, the cold blood from the feet will be recirculated effectively cooling down the body. Apparantly it's the reason heat can make one sleepy: it takes energy to recirculate the blood and also it isn't necessarily "concentrated" where you need it most... a bit like getting sleepy aftee eating a lot because the blood will congregate in the stomach region.

Those I'm sure and understand how they work...

The hot shower and beverage stuff.... like.... even if it works as advertised... I can never see how the body processing heat slighlty better for a short while would offset the enormous amounts of energy contained in boiling water or a hot shower. That one I never bought and never will.

I have tinfoil on cardbox I use to reflect the sunlight away.... but recently I saw on reddit people sticking their tinfoil to the window by making it wet... and warnings of people cracking their windows... so I took it down because I'm paranoid... eventhough I can halfway explain to myself how sticking it to the window creates a tiny like capillary small gap, possibly even sealed, that can sequestrate and accumulate heat much more efficiently. Never had an issue with my carbox in 4 years... still i didn't dare to leave it up eventhough the comment section of that reddit thread smelled like stupidity from miles away :/
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 19, 2022, 11:58:42 am »

Keeping my windows and curtains shut today has managed to keep my house from getting any warmer than 25.5C (which is still uncomfortably warm), with an outside temperature of 39.5C. Tonight, temperatures won't drop below 22C, only dropping below 30C somewhere around midnight.

20 years ago, we called 30-31C 'hot' over here in the Netherlands. Near 40C seems the new normal for summer heatwaves.
We really need to ramp up climate policies, and probably should start locking up climate change deniers and fossil fuel lobbyists in closed psych wards, labelling them criminally, or at least clinically insane.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:01:11 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1956 on: July 26, 2022, 06:44:20 am »

Watched about 3 minutes of Liz Truss vs Rishi Sunak and felt physically sick, Liz was trying to be Farage but you can't practice being someone whose style is that they're not practiced at speaking. Content wise the main difference was Liz was trying to say we should borrow like America whereas Rishi was saying lol @ copying USA. As someone who will get buggered by higher taxes or higher borrowing I felt like I wouldn't win with either in charge, but I'd lose less with Rishi, and future generations wouldn't be burdened as much under Rishi. In the wake of Sri Lanka I find it hard pressed that there's a leadership campaign whose premise is cut the tax base and borrow more

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 26, 2022, 09:22:44 am »

They're both (in their own way) trying to appeal to those who fetishise Small Government, but I feel Truss is doing better at that by being unrealistic about what she can promise. (Rishi feels he has to add some realism, which will not help him and sounds like it might be the straw that fails his camel's back, however well he otherwise does.)

Circumstances could easily overturn either ones' currently stated plans, of course, once they get into the cockpit and finally get the current guy to pull his ejector-handle, and if even Rishi can't get a compliant CotE to work with him then it could be like prior cases of Number 11 not necessarily doing what Number 10 might ask of it (like with himself), however sensible and timely. So though I think Truss will do worse, I don't imagine Sunak will be the dream-deal, even by his own intents.

Caveat: I did not see last night's debate (far from the target audience) so my impression of last night is of the various headlines this morning. Added to my possibly clichéd impressions already gathered from beforehand.

The proposed Bonfire Of The EUanities scares me most. It suggests that we'd be headed to a Least Common Denominator well below the level from which export markets can survive, even if it lets us make our own Parmesan/etc. Because importing European cheeses from Europe is, apparently, "a disgrace"... we should be faking it here, even if it means that we could sell practically very little Chedder/etc back to them in turn.

And punishing those who are already more sinned-against than sinning, on the pretext of stopping those who are really responsible (who won't ever be in the position of seeing the 'comforts' of Rwanda for themselves, even if separately caught). Another 'crowd pleaser' for a crowd with vastly different assumptions than my own.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1958 on: July 26, 2022, 10:04:41 am »

Crazy thing about the idea of bonfiring EU regulations is:

1. When queried, the majority of businesses do not want this.
2. Any business that wants to trade abroad, which is either an inevitable requirement or current business model of every business that seeks growth, will have to follow those regulations anyway to do any trade with the giant close market that is the EU so all scrapping them would do is require even more checks from the EU marketplace and thus make that even more difficult than it already is.

So it's something that appeals to a certain wing of the public and the politicians but goes against the wishes of those it claims to be for.

Take GDPR, most UK businesses already host all data in the EU anyway because:

a) Earlier on, the UK lacked any of the large cloud infrastructure providers whilst Ireland and Germany both invested in getting them setup there.
b) Other regions have requirements of providing data when requested to the state that break EU privacy regulations.
c) Now that some have UK hosting, there's too much concern that the UK will scrap the GDPR protections or introduce requirements that break GDPR, so moving data into the UK or starting with the UK hosting is too risky.

So scrapping the GDPR protections benefits no business and puts citizen privacy at risk, whilst preserving and guaranteeing their preservation solves (c) and thus increases the server hosting business that could be done in the UK.

---

On the "who would cost me personally more" argument, well probably Sunak because of higher taxes but I don't care about higher taxes for me so long as they deliver value for others. I value an effective NHS and schooling system more than an extra 2% in my pocket. I vote for who will help those who need the help, not who will benefit me personally, and generally regard the notion of voting for whoever benefits you personally at the expense of people who need help as both short sighted on a practical basis (benefits to everyone trickle up, benefits to you rarely trickle down) and a monstrous on a moral philosophy basis so *shrugs*.

Then again, Sunak does score better with Labour supporters than Truss in polling and I definitely fit into that mold (even if I'd be voting Green if we weren't a first past the post system), so maybe I'm just a living stereotype :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:16:12 am by MorleyDev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1959 on: July 26, 2022, 03:17:12 pm »

I think you'll find we already agree Morley

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 26, 2022, 03:21:14 pm »

They both supported Boris when he was taking the piss out of the British people.

It’s like voting whether you want your left hand crushed or your right hand broken.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1961 on: July 26, 2022, 03:25:05 pm »

Or choosing which of your bollocks has to be fed to seagulls

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1962 on: July 26, 2022, 06:07:34 pm »

I think you'll find we already agree Morley

Sorry, didn't mean that to come off like I was accusing you of being on the "vote for yourself" side, more just thinking aloud on the topic.

The Rwanda plan is another thing that falls down logically at it's stated goals in my opinion. Criminals commit crimes under the assumption that they won't get caught, so capture-related deterrents are largely ineffective at reducing crime rates. Children understand this intrinsically, but adults seem to love to forget.

And it isn't even punishing the criminals, but their victims (the asylum seekers). Rather than encourage them to not go to the UK (since they rarely have a choice where they end up), it's more likely just going to convince them to find illegal undocumented work instead in the UK and live under the radar, rather than declaring themselves and seeking asylum. This will thus just create more problems by feeding into the resources of criminal gangs, punishing those who do the right thing and so encouraging the wrong thing (which conversely, *is* a good way of increasing criminality by reducing the likelihood of coming forward after-the-fact and instead encouraging a doubling down).

Which a cynical person might argue is the intent, force those who would be asylum seekers (which is always legitimate and legal) to instead be the illegal immigrants that they want them to be so they have an excuse to treat them as something other than human beings, and thus make them arrestable and deportable.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:36:29 am by MorleyDev »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 31, 2022, 05:50:57 pm »

So, this is a 39 minute CuriousityStream/Nebula video, "Russia's Catastrophic Oil & Gas Problem", covering from 1950 to 2022, showing how the Russia developed and controlled their pipelines of fossil-fuel into the European energy market.

But, the 5 minutes, from 24:44 to 29:44, explains the size of the deposits found in 2010 in Ukraine, explains the involvement of Exxon, Shell, and Chevron, and explains why Russia abandoned non-military solutions in favor of military annexation of Crimea and Donbas.

The rest of the video builds up to those 5 minutes, giving the context of USSR economic and political history, and it is worth watching as well.

This image shows the Ukraine map with a yellow overlay for the 2010 deposits and a red overlay where Russia is attempting military annexation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Putting aside all other reasons, this war is about Russia controlling their fossil-fuel profits.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1964 on: August 10, 2022, 03:29:25 pm »

I thought the war was a case of genuine hubris

Putin had surrounded himself in yes-men who told him that Ukraine would fold, that Ukraine isn't even a country, that they'd be able to have a full occupation in 2 days and other dreams
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 162