Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 192330 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1995 on: September 21, 2022, 01:52:47 am »

(Not a double-post, merely a sequential but disperate one... And if this doesn't bong here it doesn't belong anywhere... Well, that's probably very much true... And not in the good way... But I'm posting it anyway... And overegging the already very eggy pudding by saying all this. waitwhat? Oh get on with it!)

Interesting to learn that the Aussie coverage of the Queen's funeral, by their Channel 9, had a presenter initially unable to identify The Right Honourable Liz Truss MP, PM, with the first guess being "one of the minor royals". Though, to be honest, if she's not talking about disgraceful cheeses or marketable pork I might myself still not necessarily be able to recognise her on sight. Or, by sound alone, I might even think she's actually Jan Ravens... I knoow!!!

(Was that even worth saying? Probably not!)

I'm sure I'll get used to her. But, strangely, I'm already disillusioned with her. In her case function leads form, I suppose, whereas Boris had form preceding (what little) function he had at the start of his run.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: October 01, 2022, 12:48:21 am »

So, with regard to Russia, the Washington Post published an essay written by Alexei Navalny, the currently-jailed Putin-rival. It considers what a post-Putin Russia should be like, and why....

Please note, this is not a Washington Post article and there is no reporter blah-emo-blah-emo... this is a good read.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1997 on: October 03, 2022, 04:39:20 am »

So, with regard to Russia, the Washington Post published an essay written by Alexei Navalny, the currently-jailed Putin-rival. It considers what a post-Putin Russia should be like, and why....

Please note, this is not a Washington Post article and there is no reporter blah-emo-blah-emo... this is a good read.
I'm impressed they managed to get this through prison

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 27, 2023, 05:29:46 am »

It took me a while of scrolling through pages and pages of novel scoops thread titles until I found this thread but here we are.

In Israel, the minister of Defense openly critisized the proposed new laws of the Israeli government that will take power away from the Supreme Court. He was fired shortly after.
In respose to him being fired, thousands upon thousands of Israeli took to the streets in protest, leading to 'a night of chaos', according to Israeli newspaper Haaretz.
This morning, Israeli president Isaac Herzog urged the Israeli government to not push the new law. Opposition leader Yair Lapid demands that the fired minister of Defense is reinstated.
The chairman of the national labour union, Arnon Bar David, called for a national strike.
The staff of Ben Gurion national airport responded immediatly by going home, leaving the airport dysfunctional.

Just now, Netanyahu and his government decided that they will stop pushing the new law, at least for now.

There is still hope for Israel's democracy. Let's hope their current extremist government does not last much longer.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 27, 2023, 06:05:37 am »

As an Israeli, my opinion on those protests is completely depends on how much momentum they have, because Israel wasn't much of a democracy in 2019 with the occupation and all, so if the protests end when we return to a state like that I don't think it's just a great state of being.

From the protests I have been at, the situation is mixed, I am going with the anti-occupation folks, and some people who don't walk with us directly are supportive, but there are always some who are not, so it's hard to tell what will stop the protests, even for just stopping the legislation I hope they don't stop now, as only fools gonna trust Netanyahu for long.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 24, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »

Israelis now get to experience first-hand the dangers of parliamentary sovereignty. The judicial overhaul bill has been passed.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 24, 2023, 03:24:36 pm »

Yeah, it is sad. It won't be without consequence though. Labour Unions are announcing strikes, thousands of army reservists, including special forces and fighter pilots have announced they will strike and cease following orders from this government, and over a hundred former chiefs if Israeli intelligence services publicly voiced their support for the reservists that will cease following orders.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:27:08 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2002 on: July 24, 2023, 09:17:36 pm »

What a spicy and expected development. I always wonder why the police are always so willing to wreck their fellow man these days

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 25, 2023, 01:50:31 pm »

Israel-Bourbon dynasty France crossover when?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #2004 on: July 28, 2023, 10:28:47 am »

Israel-Bourbon dynasty France crossover when?

Is that a Principality of Antioch reference?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 10, 2023, 05:01:40 am »

SECRET PAKISTAN CABLE DOCUMENTS U.S. PRESSURE TO REMOVE IMRAN KHAN
https://theintercept.com/2023/08/09/imran-khan-pakistan-cypher-ukraine-russia/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=theintercept

It's interesting to see, what I believe is a raw diplomatic report in the end.
I really like Khan from what I've seen of him before. He should join the civilized world and oppose Russia due to the war, but for the US to strongarm a popular leader away, and replace him with the current chaos is just nasty. International politics always are, but this time we can actually read the words.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 02:30:31 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 10, 2023, 07:56:59 am »

This one I will have to think about at length. I think that judging from what I was reading at the time, that Imran Khan was partially to largely to blame for the instability, judging from the sites I read all the available articles about him that I saw for any headline that appeared larger than a minor issue, mostly Al-Jazeera but also Reuters IIRC . My take on it was that he was sort of a similar kind of politically scary clown that our Trump was and is imo. I will have to think about it as I said, as I am not pleased reading this article, especially about claims in the Intercept article of torture, and possibly disappeared journalists, among others. The last sentence in your post is difficult to respond to because I agree with the part about what he should have done but you've included the word "fight" rather than "oppose actions by support of Ukraine" which is closer to what many countries are doing, so it makes things a bit murkier to respond to as I either should weakly clarify as here or I would perhaps risk the saying of wrong things. I apologize for that probably unnecessary explaining.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 10, 2023, 11:17:05 pm »

As a Republican, the proof of Democrat deceit is amazing. Thank you.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 11, 2023, 02:32:41 am »

(Thank you Duuvian, I didn't like 'Fight' either, but the other word in my mind 'isolate' was too passive.)

Also, I don't know Khan fully either, but he won me over with this UN speech, where he (IMHO correctly) spotlight how rich world happily houses the corrupt money and people from the poor world.
This is not a 'Trump clown' speaking  :) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUryNMzrdw
(The mentioned part is at 4:22)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 03:16:00 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 11, 2023, 03:36:27 am »

As a Republican, the proof of Democrat deceit is amazing. Thank you.
I don't think a republican government would have done any different.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 162