Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187955 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2015, 08:20:19 pm »

but it look like they'll stay over the 10% threshold needed to get into parliament and prevent Erdogan from re-writing the Constitution.
Yup, they did. A glimpse of hope, I guess.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:50 pm »

Seeing how Turkey is becoming the next Iran is sad :( And Turkey is way to close to Ukraine to not worry about this transformation.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 04:11:32 am »

I wouldn't call it the next Iran. The Iranian regime was created via a revolution, I find Turkey's move toward "managed democracy" much closer to what happened to Russia under Putin. Or, to a lesser degree, to Hungary under Orbàn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 04:19:03 am »

From what I've seen, the constitutional change that Erdogan wants, to give the president more power, resembles the US model more than it does the Russia-Putin model.
(Although the way he goes about achieving majority, by arresting and criminalizing opposition and media, resembles the Putin model more)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:22:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 05:20:40 am »

Yeah, I was talking about the way he wins elections. Thank god the HDP survived.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:39 am »

From what I've seen, the constitutional change that Erdogan wants, to give the president more power, resembles the US model more than it does the Russia-Putin model.

Isn't it the other way around? That the president has more power in the Russian model than the US one?
Love, scriver~

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2015, 09:51:06 am »

Isn't it the other way around? That the president has more power in the Russian model than the US one?

Based on the way it appears, whatever position Putin occupies holds more power.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:41 pm »

Quote from: CNN
The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of a Russian passenger jet in the Sinai over the weekend was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter.

I am curious how will Russian public react on this if it is a bomb
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:02 pm »

The latest U.S. intelligence suggests that the crash of a Russian passenger jet in the Sinai over the weekend was most likely caused by a bomb on the plane planted by ISIS or an ISIS affiliate, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter.

Probably the same as Ukranians would if it were only Ukranians on there and Ukraine was actively fighting ISIS and being on the same side as Assad.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2015, 05:55:40 pm »

Blame America, directly or indirectly?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2015, 06:41:06 pm »

Blame America, directly or indirectly?

Directly dont see a reason, indirectly yes, as USA is one of the main reasons there is all this problems with  ISIS in the first place.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:47 pm »

Probably the same as Ukranians would if it were only Ukranians on there and Ukraine was actively fighting ISIS and being on the same side as Assad.
I don't think so. If Ukraine would wage unnecessary war that attracted terrorists to Ukrainian citizens... We'd have few hundreds of thousands on the streets protesting against such war.

BTW, If Ukrainian President would dare to ignore any disaster that took hundreds of lives of Ukrainian citizens and give no speech on the TV like Putin did... I can't even imagine what kind of shitstorm would start.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

Well, at least our society is literally invulnerable to terrorism. That seems like an advantage in modern world.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »

I don't think so. If Ukraine would wage unnecessary war that attracted terrorists to Ukrainian citizens... We'd have few hundreds of thousands on the streets protesting against such war.

BTW, If Ukrainian President would dare to ignore any disaster that took hundreds of lives of Ukrainian citizens and give no speech on the TV like Putin did... I can't even imagine what kind of shitstorm would start.

*facepalm*

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant, if you switched the word Russian for Ukranian, making the question how would Ukranians react because it was almost sounding like you expected the Russian public to react differently than if Ukraine was in the same position doing the same things Russia is, hypothetically.

Edit: Actually, they probably would react differently politically wise, and no, I don't know what was up with Putin not giving a statement about it.

Well, at least our society is literally invulnerable to terrorism. That seems like an advantage in modern world.

You're not helping the point I'm making (though not sure if you caught onto the point I was making).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:31:56 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2015, 07:32:43 pm »

You're not helping the point I'm making (though not sure if you caught onto the point I was making).
That point is not going to work against UR, anyway. He'll say "If Ukraine was in the same position as Russia doing the same things, it would be Ukraine-In-Name-Only a la what Ukraine was during Yanuk's rule" or that it would still be different from Russia because of fundamental differences in mentality or something.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 162