Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198479 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #765 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:32 am »

This Meldonium stuff is nothing comparing to the FSB swapping urine samples scandal :D
Yeah, the security services are always taking the piss...

(Links to recent Russian/US diplomatic spats and 'spy school' graduates and instructors having a high profile graduation celebration, amongst others, would merely gild the punnish lilly.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:31 am »

The high commissioner of the UN Commission for Human Rights, the Jordan-Swedish Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein has raised a 'big alarm' about the cleansing process in Turkey. He wants to send in independant observers to check if arrested persons have access to lawyers and can speak to their families.

"In the aftermath of such a traumatic experience it is of utmost importance to make sure no human rights are violated in any hasty attempts to punish those responsible", he said.
"Judges should be allowed to work without restrictions or threats", he commented on the arrestation and firing of many judges.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #767 on: July 19, 2016, 05:15:44 am »

Edit: Has anyone mentioned yet Russia being boycotted from sports events for doping? I just looked at Maria Sharapova's case and had a look at the Wikipedia page for what she was taking"for health reasons" : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium .
Scroll down a bit, look at all those Russian and former eastern block flags, obviously the Soviet Union has a chronic heart problem epidemic, there's no other possible explaination.
This Meldonium stuff is nothing comparing to the FSB swapping urine samples scandal :D I am hoping that IOC will do the right decision and we will see no Russians in Rio
I hope the IOC will do the right decision and we sill see no Olympians in Rio
Not gonna happen though, they follow money

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 19, 2016, 05:26:16 am »

Greece should file a patent lawsuit and demand compensation for every Olympics not held in Greece in the past 2000 years. Should solve their budget issues.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 19, 2016, 05:26:46 am »

Honestly, I was really embarrassed years ago when I heard about some guy that sounds like he was one of the new random faces on SNL being in the Time 100 (picture the SNL announcer guy saying Reccep... Tayyip.... ERDOGAN!) and had no clue who the hell they meant... but now I am grateful because we get to live in a world with someone who tried to Godwin themself positively.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:29:07 am by Max™ »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:46 am »

And yet, your odds of winning gold at the Olympics are statistically better than winning the lottery. So at least you've got that going for you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 20, 2016, 04:59:31 am »

Russian pro-Western journalist Pavel Sheremet has been killed by a car bomb, in Kiev.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 20, 2016, 08:41:59 am »

The Turkish embassy to Belgium asked Flanders (which had a large Turkish community) to investigate organizations linked to the Gülen movement.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #773 on: July 20, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »

The Turkish embassy to Belgium asked Flanders (which had a large Turkish community) to investigate organizations linked to the Gülen movement.
What kinda organizations

Is Turkey gonna blame everything on Belgium just cos they didn't prosecute their poets

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »

Uh, Erdogan just said not to worry.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 20, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »

I would think that with modern communications and the global spotlight on him, he'd be smart enough to keep the purging to a minimum, and be satisfied with the opportunity for some increased popular support and party unity instead. But these massive purges and an unveiled grab for authority, when it's such an obvious move and exactly what everyone expected out of this, it smells of incompetence. Maybe he thinks he won't get another opportunity.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 20, 2016, 06:11:53 pm »

Maybe he was afraid that if he didn't take immediate action after the abortive coup, the Kemalists would stage their own.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #777 on: July 20, 2016, 06:16:20 pm »

I would think that with modern communications and the global spotlight on him, he'd be smart enough to keep the purging to a minimum, and be satisfied with the opportunity for some increased popular support and party unity instead. But these massive purges and an unveiled grab for authority, when it's such an obvious move and exactly what everyone expected out of this, it smells of incompetence. Maybe he thinks he won't get another opportunity.
Nah all you need to do is shill like there's no tomorrow
You think China gives a damn with their execution vans? No sir no man, not even Jean Claude van Dayum, information control too powerful, flood pro-your dudes information onto the people with little in the way of opposition, good odds are your dudes win the information war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 20, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »

Uh, Erdogan just said not to worry.
Suspiciously Specific Denial™
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 20, 2016, 06:29:55 pm »

You can totally trust someone who Godwin's themself.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 164