Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187897 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1680 on: September 03, 2020, 06:06:01 pm »

Russia is about to annex Belarus
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 03, 2020, 06:13:03 pm »

Source?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:47 pm »

That's too strong a statement. You make it sound like they've just announced the union. Looks to me like the same old song Lukashenko has been singing for years - whenever he needed favours from Russia, he would tease the union, hold some talks, sign some agreements, only to back off later.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 04, 2020, 01:49:56 am »

That's too strong a statement. You make it sound like they've just announced the union. Looks to me like the same old song Lukashenko has been singing for years - whenever he needed favours from Russia, he would tease the union, hold some talks, sign some agreements, only to back off later.
There are no same old Lukashenko and never will be. Despite the impotence of the protestors that do almost nothing, Lukashenko's power is greatly diminished. All he needs to lose all of his power is one military officer that will give one order.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 04, 2020, 05:22:03 am »

That might be, although I'm leaning towards an opinion that he can just wait the protests out. In any case, Russia is not annexing Belarus - not just yet, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 04, 2020, 05:29:21 am »

Lukashenko's ability to dance on the line has been proven before - maybe this time will be different, but I don't see why it would be. It's pretty impressive to romance Putin for decades without putting a ring on it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 04, 2020, 06:31:35 am »

One thing against Putin wanting to absorb Belarus is that there would no longer be a closely-tied but "not us, honest" buffer-state. Always useful (if you do actually have control, to some degree) to not have to worry about directly rubbing shoulders with 'the other'.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone there to represent Mother Russia isn't paraphrasing Sir Hunphrey Appleby's uncharacteristically harsh outburst of "If you're going to do this damn silly thing, don't do it in this damn silly way!"

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 04, 2020, 09:17:58 am »

Well, I lurk in those politics threads too much so I should at least mark one of them a bit, and I chose this one because it's the one most relevant to me.

So, nothing new I can think of Israel recently, still the slow decent into authoritarianism, still the same ruling party, still the threat for election in every moment, nothing new.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 06, 2020, 03:20:54 am »

Australia is still reeling from second wave COVID, waiting to see how things land when the dust settles. Relations are worsening with China, and politicians are strategically maneuvering closer to the USA policies, preparing for more of the same. I'd like to think most aussies are taking this all with a pragmatic approach, and despite the fussing of the vocal minority, we're set on seeing ourselves out the other side of this horrible year with some remainder of sanity.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 13, 2020, 03:56:12 pm »

Anyone interested in talking about all these Israeli peace deals?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:56 pm »

I'm just too cynical. It's one of Trump's various scattergun Moonshots he's generating to purely to sell himself as Saviour Of Mankind™, and then probably will turn out to be almost entirely filmed in a studio with special effects.

It'll probably turn out to be driven by pure Trumpian Quid-Pro-Quos (slightly less stable than it appears a Northern Ireland Peace Agreement might be), neither outcome of November guarantees it'll change the region for the better. Could even rebound badly. Any hopes melting away just like the fears of those 'caravans' did once there was no reason for them.

Not wanting to make this an Ameripol post, but someone hoping to claim credit for sorting it should also own the situation in all other situatons.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 14, 2020, 01:00:02 am »

Nah, I think it is all about the sale of F-35's (beyond the obvious legitimisation of Israeli).  I'm not going to get into this too deeply but here's a commentary to throw into the mix:

https://asiatimes.com/2020/08/israel-uae-peace-tested-by-f-35-uproar/

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 14, 2020, 02:05:29 am »

The relation between Israel and the nation of the peninsula was improving in the last several years, at least that what the news here said, my assumption is that it's part of Saudi Arabia and Iran conflict, so it's really not that surprising.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 162