Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187929 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1710 on: September 30, 2020, 01:31:25 pm »

Armenia anf Azerbaijan seem to have had a shooting war over a disputed area, with military and civilian casualties on both sides. Details still sketchy and "he said, she said", right now. Might even be "business as usual", as I don't follow that area much, but if tanks and a helicopter are destroyed, as reported, it's not 'a minor skirmish between opposing border guards'.
Well, actually Armenia doesn't claim that it is their territory. It is about unrecognized (by the most of the world) state with mostly Armenian population (after they kicked out\killed most of Azeris in early 1990s)

Looking at how the war is currently going... Armenia has no chance to win without much more direct help from Russia. Azerbajani Army is simply larger and more modern.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1711 on: September 30, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »

BREXIT

MEANS

B R E X I T
Sorry I don't speak French, can you translate brexit to English

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:57 pm »

(You misspelt "Dutch". Or Luxembourgish, at a push. Call yourself a proud European?)

Ob:OnTopic: I'm still wondering what kind of hole was found in the Estonia ferry. I'd jump to the conclusion it was a submarine, also, but there's to many reasons that'd still never be confirmed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 30, 2020, 03:23:34 pm »

That made international news? I am impressed.

I am also curious.
Love, scriver~

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 04, 2020, 08:46:21 am »

It happened a few days ago I think but I forgot and the inevitable happened in the meantime.

Isreal limited the right to protest as part of the fight against Corona, and guess what happened when a government which lost much of it's public trust do something like that, more protest happened.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 13, 2021, 07:57:52 am »

That Navalny guy does have balls of steel.

Despite being nearly assasinated with novichok, and despite the threat of being arrested upon his return, he is returning to Russia.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1716 on: January 13, 2021, 08:46:12 am »

That Navalny guy does have balls of steel.

Despite being nearly assasinated with novichok, and despite the threat of being arrested upon his return, he is returning to Russia.
Banter

Also in Italy, Calabria, the Ndragheta are going on trial in the largest mafia trial ever

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 17, 2021, 01:13:19 pm »

Navalny has returned to Russia, and has been arrested upon his return to Moscow.  Earlier today, Russian authorities had already arrested some of his allies, who had gathered at the airport to welcome him back, amongst whom activist Ljoebov Sobo, and allegedly also Navalny's brother Oleg.

Just before landing, the plane was (as was expected) forced to reroute to another airport, to prevent Navalny being welcomed by a crowd.

Meanwhile, Navalny's popularity has only grown. A poll by independent poll agency Levada shows his popularity tripled, since he was poisoned.  Also, where before he was only well-known by mostly the younger part of the Russian population, ever since he was poisoned, and even more so since he tricked the FSB into admitting they poisoned him in a telephone call, now every Russian has heard of Navalny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55694598

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/01/17/navalny-returns-to-russia-a72635

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/kremlincriticus-aleksej-navalny-bij-aankomst-in-moskou-gearresteerd~ba95ce9e/?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:15:32 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1718 on: January 18, 2021, 08:18:53 am »

Why did he do it lads? Why would he go back to Russia?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 18, 2021, 08:31:59 am »

Tbh that puzzles me too.  It's not that he's afraid of prison time, he has been there before.  But does he have a death wish?
I am kinda expecting to read a 'Navalny dies of corona' headline sometime soon.

EDIT: the reason for his arrest is stupid though.  Failing to show up for a probation check.  Duh.. He was in hospital recovering from nerve toxin poisoning.

Not to mention his conviction has been declared unlawful by the European Court for Human Rights. They concluded it was an unfair trial.
So far, Russia has ignored that verdict.

Perhaps that is what Navalny's counting on, considering Russia has ratified the ECHR.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:40:21 am by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:14 am »

Just plain delusion/martyr complex, IMO. Alternatively, the German intelligence service ordered him to face the music or else.

By the way, don't let all the libs heralding Navalny as some color revolution hero to take down Putin get you twisted. This is still the guy who calls minorities "cockroaches".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 18, 2021, 08:48:01 am »

By the way, don't let all the libs heralding Navalny as some color revolution hero to take down Putin get you twisted. This is still the guy who calls minorities "cockroaches".

Sadly, that's just the Russian word for minorty /s

If not being racist is to be a criterium for opposition worth supporting over Putin, change will never come.  One step at a time.

EDIT: not saying that all Russians are racist.  But if you want to be a serious candidate for opposition in Russia you need popular support. Openly opposing racism, or advocating things like welcoming african refugees will not get you that popular support.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:52:24 am by martinuzz »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 18, 2021, 08:50:57 am »

Messiah complex? Because he could have an 'accident' anywhere he went, but relies on a(nother) home-turf attempt being too awkward and not so easily dismissed as pure coincidence/unrelated factors? He's convinced the wind of change that are coming will insulate him better if he is seen going back into the eye of the storm?

These (and other) reasons might be why they immediately took him into custody. Any gap would have made the optics even better for him. A bigger saviour or a more holy martyr. A simple and actual road accident would immediately/irrevocably be blamed on them. As a figurehead, they have to consider whether he's potentially a Mandela (many years away from power) or a Guevara (causing occasional trouble now), etc, and how to manage internal and international expectations.

I'm not saying he won't be made to suffer, in custody, mentally or physically, but on balance he possibly made the decision to return (expecting this) rather than forever be dreading the next thing on from umbrella-pellets and perfume-with-a-kick. Whether it was a correct calculation, who can tell. Yet. Some well known names got through worse to become the revolutionary (in one or more of that word's meanings) leader of causes and then countries. ((Though many many more potential ones did not, I'll allow, with varying degrees of staying in/returning to obscurity.))

...Ninjaed x3, while crafting this message, so some obvious repetition.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1723 on: January 19, 2021, 03:41:21 am »

So Putin is creating a perverse incentive for dissidents to commit to dissididencening because they've got nothing to lose? I suppose this is why Machiavelli says if you're gonna be nefarious do it all on one day and stop. Indiscriminate mafia killing has a tendency to make people angry, shocking surprise

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 21, 2021, 08:12:54 pm »

Just plain delusion/martyr complex, IMO. Alternatively, the German intelligence service ordered him to face the music or else.

Sure, Navalny is not a liberal. His criticism of Putin's regime is focused on corruption. He says almost nothing about the Russian foreign policy or the human rights situation. Don't expect non-imperialist and liberal Russia if, by some miracle, Navanly will get on top.

Saying that, he does undermine Putin's power. To illustrate, the last video on Navalny's youtube channel got 52 millions views and 1 million comments in 2.5 days (It is about Putin's largest palace and it has English subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAnwilMncI&t)

Paying some attention to the Russian segment of TikTok, I can say that Russia has MANY teenagers who are sick of the men who was in power for all their life. They care not about the cult of The Great Patriotic War, they aren't going to Orthodox Churches and, they have no nostalgia for the Good Old USSR.

They may be too young to bring changes now, but, IMO, Russia is far less stable than it may seem to be.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 162