Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187916 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1725 on: January 22, 2021, 06:42:54 am »

wotta palace

I always wondered what's the point of it all though. Why grift your country out of billions to have ultra luxury? Same question for Malaysia too. Even if you're going to be a grifty bastard why don't you just grift a few million like American politicians do, you're never going to be out of comfort anyways

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 22, 2021, 06:53:54 am »

wotta palace

I always wondered what's the point of it all though. Why grift your country out of billions to have ultra luxury? Same question for Malaysia too. Even if you're going to be a grifty bastard why don't you just grift a few million like American politicians do, you're never going to be out of comfort anyways

Answer - those people have some yet to be named mental disorder.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 24, 2021, 08:13:39 am »

Unsurprisingly, Russian opposition failed to organize anything resembling large-scale protests yesterday.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 24, 2021, 08:11:17 pm »

Is the Bahamas non-EU Europe, d'ya think?

Robert Rowland, Brexit MEP for SE England, right up until last January saw no further MEPs from there, is reported to have died in a diving accident near his home in the Bahamas. And is that within the 200 miles British waters Exclusion Zone he kept arguing for, in comparing foreign fishing boats with the General Belgrano in his hyper-patriotic tirades?

I won't speak ill of the dead, just stating the facts that make me boggle somewhat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1730 on: January 25, 2021, 12:12:52 pm »

As a point of information, Bahamas is a sovereign caribbean nation, not a British overseas territory, crown dependency or Antartic science base.  I can't say I've heard of him before today but at least he's survived by his 4 kids and to go out diving is a fairly painless way to go

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 25, 2021, 01:22:47 pm »

to go out diving is a fairly painless way to go

Most of the ways you can die while diving are extremely painful as I understand them. Asphyxiation, complications from the bends, injuries sustained as a result of being dashed against rocks or coral by the tide. Not pleasant ways to go.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:39 pm »

Yeah, from what I've understood from reanimated drowning victims, inhaling water is one of the most excruciatingly painful things imaginable.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1733 on: January 26, 2021, 06:37:24 am »

Most of the ways you can die while diving are extremely painful as I understand them. Asphyxiation, complications from the bends, injuries sustained as a result of being dashed against rocks or coral by the tide. Not pleasant ways to go.
The many ways don't matter, what matters is the most common. I had to do some looking up on this because my initial assumption that drowning or asphyxiation would be the most common cause of open water diving fatalities wasn't entirely right; you can split them into two categories. Deaths below the surface, and deaths at surface. Of those you see a predictable spread between deaths by drowning, asphyxiation and a handful of sudden unconsciousness, whilst surface has the spread of bends or gas embolism related fatalities. Unless you get a gas embolism cutting blood flow from the brain, it's going to hurt like hell before you die. Of the underwater ones, you're not going to be conscious long enough to feel much of anything. Then there are the minority but still statistically significant causes of death like entanglement or penetration divers getting stuck under ice, caves or in wrecks, which would be a pretty foul way to go out, as you'd be conscious and exhausted for a fairly long time.

Given that they recovered his body and most drowning or asphyxiation deaths happen to lone divers, Robert Rowland probably wasn't doing a lone dive. Which means then that he probably died from the bends, gas embolism or getting hit by a boat. So it seems I was probably, and unfortunately wrong about the likelihood of his ease of passing.

Yeah, from what I've understood from reanimated drowning victims, inhaling water is one of the most excruciatingly painful things imaginable.
I've nearly drowned before, and the actual drowning itself was painless. It was only after I was dragged out of the water that I experienced any pain. I have heard from other people similar experiences, but also heard from people who also nearly drowned that it was incredibly painful. I don't really know for sure why people have such wildly different experiences with drowning but I have my suspicions it may be down to whether the person involved was suffering shock/panic or not, as my anecdotal experience & gossip shows those who reported painless near-death drowning were fairly relaxed and did not struggle or fall into freezing cold water

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1735 on: January 26, 2021, 06:55:20 am »

I dont know...  One of the ways one could go sounds very unpleasant.
Pounded in the butt until I die by a 100kg marine turtle, the new hit novella by chuck tingle

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 26, 2021, 06:57:58 am »

Well, that redefines ' shell-shocked'

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:11 pm »

In Mosocw, massive protests are taking place, demanding the release of Navalny. Various other cities see protests too.

Today alone, over 4000 people were arrested.

Earlier attempts by the Russian government to prevent protest using brute force backfired. More and more Russians are joining the protest.  Protestors play cat and mouse with the police, who is unable to take control.
While zig-zagging through the streets to avoid the police, protestors are cheered and applauded from the homes they pass, car horns honk in support.

In response, Putin has ordered Moscow locked down. Train, bus and subways are shut down, and the access roads to the prison that holds Navalny are blocked off by barricades of arrest vans.

According to the Russia reporter of the Volkskrant, who lives in Moscow, he hasn't seen protests as massive as this before.
The couple of hundred arrests he personally withnessed were ' reasonably gentle'. "The police mostly restrain themselves and use only their wooden batons. They do keep hitting people who are already down, but well, that's Russia".

There are worse reports from Vladivostok, where there's rumour of arrestants being tortured in the police station.
From the Kazan area, a video was released of arrestants lying on the floor in the ice-cold snow, with their hands on the back of their head and their face in the snow. "Those are images that we are used to from Belarus, this normally doesn't happen in Russia"

St.Petersburg reports heavy violence.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/dat-poetin-met-rusland-een-gemanagede-democratie-heeft-opgezet-is-na-vandaag-niet-meer-vol-te-houden~b41d1289/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:33:10 pm by martinuzz »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 31, 2021, 03:21:42 pm »

I chuckled when one of the news reports on the TV earlier mentioned that the US cautioned Russia about "using excessive violence on the protestors"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 31, 2021, 03:35:30 pm »

I chuckled when one of the news reports on the TV earlier mentioned that the US cautioned Russia about "using excessive violence on the protestors"
Oh, another one of the "hey, police uses violence in the USA, too" crowd.

Riot police use violence everywhere. It is a part of their job. Often it is necessary. Sometimes it is excessive either because of poor training or because such line of work attracts... certain types of men.

It doesn't mean that denying the very basic human right of a peaceful assembly by unlawful arrests and beatings is somehow OK.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 162