Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 162

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 187956 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1740 on: January 31, 2021, 04:48:07 pm »

Meanwhile, Putin is accusing the US of orchestrating the protests.

Human rights organisations say Putin has never before ordered such violent beatdown of protests.
Reports everywhere from unconscious protestors in police vans, already subdued helpless arrestants getting electroshocked, torture in police stations.

In 142 cities people took to the streets in protest.

More people were arrested in a single day today than has ever happened since Putin's rise to power in 1999
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:51:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 31, 2021, 05:09:33 pm »

Meanwhile, Putin is accusing the US of orchestrating the protests.

Human rights organisations say Putin has never before ordered such violent beatdown of protests.
Reports everywhere from unconscious protestors in police vans, already subdued helpless arrestants getting electroshocked, torture in police stations.

In 142 cities people took to the streets in protest.

More people were arrested in a single day today than has ever happened since Putin's rise to power in 1999

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1353374319548768258
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1742 on: February 01, 2021, 08:53:01 am »

UK applies to join the trans-pacific trade bloc

60 years from now: UK holds referendum to leave pacific union

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 01, 2021, 09:33:43 am »

I chuckled when one of the news reports on the TV earlier mentioned that the US cautioned Russia about "using excessive violence on the protestors"
Oh, another one of the "hey, police uses violence in the USA, too" crowd.

Riot police use violence everywhere. It is a part of their job. Often it is necessary. Sometimes it is excessive either because of poor training or because such line of work attracts... certain types of men.

It doesn't mean that denying the very basic human right of a peaceful assembly by unlawful arrests and beatings is somehow OK.

Who said anything about it being ok?
I was amused by the bare-faced hypocrisy of the USA having almost a year of violently cracking down on peaceful protests (against police violence and racism no less) before turning around and wagging their finger at Russia after less than a week of doing the same (hell maybe not even the same, we still don't have all the info on what actually went down and if there was anything even remotely approaching the amount of scummy and shady shit the US police have pulled over the months)-
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:43 am »

At the very least, Russian police doesn't shoot black people.  This might just be because there are no black people in Russia though (recent estimates: there are about 50000 black people in Russia, on a total population of 144 million).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:54:05 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 02, 2021, 02:21:50 pm »

Russian opposition leader and main Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny was sentenced Tuesday to 2 years and 8 months in prison after a Moscow court turned his suspended sentence in a 2014 criminal case into a full custodial term.

The court decision came days after more than 5,000 people were detained across Russia in rallies in Navalny’s support.

The politician was laughing in his glass box as the verdict was being read out, gesturing toward his allies and wife, Yulia, in the courtroom. He had earlier denounced court proceedings as politically motivated and demanded that he be freed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/alexei-navalny-leading-putin-critic-faces-trial-100-supporters-arrested-n1256440
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 02, 2021, 02:31:06 pm »

Apparently recovering from Geneva banned nerve toxin is hospital is no excuse for missing a date with your parole officer.

More protests are expected.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 02, 2021, 02:46:48 pm »

Apparently recovering from Geneva banned nerve toxin is hospital is no excuse for missing a date with your parole officer.

More protests are expected.
Navalny's team is calling to gather at one of Moscow's squares right now, (https://twitter.com/teamnavalny_mos/status/1356655979669172226

I think it is very unwise, all that they can achieve by this is getting their most active supporters arrested. Only the most active will go out at night when it is -12 C outside. Russia still has real winters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 02, 2021, 03:07:18 pm »

I think it is very unwise, all that they can achieve by this is getting their most active supporters arrested.

Maybe. Likely even, perhaps.

Navalny is forcing the EU / US's hand though. Russia will feel sanctions.  And while Germany has not been willing to comply with France's request to punish Russia by cancelling Nordstream 2 so far, I would not be surprised if that will change because of this.

Only the most active will go out at night when it is -12 C outside. Russia still has real winters.

In Siberia, thousands of people joined in the protests a few days ago, despite it being -40C outside
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:15:12 pm by martinuzz »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 02, 2021, 04:42:16 pm »

https://twitter.com/vits2014/status/1356713064570245122

Looks like it is going Belarus-style.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 02, 2021, 04:47:44 pm »

Yeah, that protestor got some serious beating to the back of his skull. He probably won't know his own name or what planet he lives on for a while.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 02, 2021, 05:00:04 pm »

In other news:

Ukrainian President ordered the blocking of three pro-Russian TV channels

I will enjoy how Russian diplomats will scream about fascism in Ukraine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 22, 2021, 02:17:18 pm »

Cold War II is still going strong, I see. Quite the echo chamber you've got in here.

This forum could use a couple (dozen) actual Russians to shine a light from the other side of Western media blinds.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 22, 2021, 04:11:00 pm »

Cold War II is still going strong, I see. Quite the echo chamber you've got in here.

This forum could use a couple (dozen) actual Russians to shine a light from the other side of Western media blinds.
You mean like this actual Russian?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1754 on: March 23, 2021, 06:06:38 am »

Everybody's Russian anyways
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 162